Suboxone absorbtion Question
    Custnam is offline New Member

Default Suboxone absorbtion Question

I was just prescribed suboxone yesterday. The pharmacist knew little to nothing about it if anything at all.
    So I took my first dose today, and I have a question, but my docs not in today, and the info printout they give you did not cover anything to do with this. I know this is a sublingual (under the tongue) medication. And Ive read tons of info on this med, but ive never seen anywhere any info on what to expect. So I took my first dose. Two 2 MG tabs under tongue, I immediately noticed a sweet taste in my mouth, and I can only describe it as a Nutrasweet/ saccharin type of taste. As if you ate a pack of nutra sweet. And I could taste alot of the medicine mixing with my saliva, and unless I wanted to start drooling all over I had to swallow. And this continued most of the time I had them under my tongue. Now is this normal? If your not suppose to swallow it then how do you avoid the the majority of it melting into your saliva? Ive never taken sublingual meds before so this is new to me. I know that swallowing it can cause immediate withdrawal symtoms which is why Im concerned about it.

Default What you are talking about

Your experience is normal. Some call it the "orange drool" syndrome. So afraid to swallow because of w/d's.

However, when they tell us we MUST take it sublingually or else, I don't think they take into consideration that the melting medicine has to go somewhere. Drool or swallow?

I used to take it before bed. Put it under my tongue and forgot about it. Yes, the taste is nasty! But I would recommend to swallow the residual. Just don't down a whole pill.
    Janice
    I shall remain grateful for Suboxone...........

countrymama08 is offline New Member

Default hi

I have been on sub and I swallow the stuff..I have never gotten sick from it...I have heard that some spit it out....

Default Suboxone Swallowing....

Really? You swallow Suboxone? On purpose? I did it once, and never made that mistake again. I had been off the oxy's for a few months and ended up swallowing the Sub. Instant vertigo, nausea, etc.

Huh! Well, I'm stumped then. I couldn't swallow it again if someone paid me to.
    Janice
    I shall remain grateful for Suboxone...........

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Custnam View Post
    I was just prescribed suboxone yesterday. The pharmacist knew little to nothing about it if anything at all.
    So I took my first dose today, and I have a question, but my docs not in today, and the info printout they give you did not cover anything to do with this. I know this is a sublingual (under the tongue) medication. And Ive read tons of info on this med, but ive never seen anywhere any info on what to expect. So I took my first dose. Two 2 MG tabs under tongue, I immediately noticed a sweet taste in my mouth, and I can only describe it as a Nutrasweet/ saccharin type of taste. As if you ate a pack of nutra sweet. And I could taste alot of the medicine mixing with my saliva, and unless I wanted to start drooling all over I had to swallow. And this continued most of the time I had them under my tongue. Now is this normal? If your not suppose to swallow it then how do you avoid the the majority of it melting into your saliva? Ive never taken sublingual meds before so this is new to me. I know that swallowing it can cause immediate withdrawal symtoms which is why Im concerned about it.
    DO not swollow the pill whole..... I am new to it too and it took me a few days to get it. What I do is drink water first. put pill under tongue. keep something to drink nearby, when it begans to melt I attempt to keep it under my tongue untill too much fluid in mouth then swollow. It is absorbed in blood stream pretty quickly and you are getting the drug u need. Yes, it is nasty tasting at first but some of this is just the withdrawl itself not allowing u to enjoy your taste buds... this will pass. I am day 7 and I take much higher dose. I can only take one pill at time and I time it for about 13 min under tongue before I can say its all gone. good luck.. keep me posted. Maybe we can help each other!

BLUEYDBEAUTY is offline New Member

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

Sgt.Anger is offline New Member

Close your mouth put under the tongue until you feel no medicine under your tongue until it just feels like disgusting medicine saliva,it takes me sometimes a half hour then take it down with alot of water..I at first couldnt get the taste out of my mouth.And i wasnt a coffe drinker but now i am its the only thing that gets it out..

Sgt.Anger is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by blueydbeauty View Post
    ok so im new to this but ive been reading everybody's posts about the taste of suboxenes and i think i can help some of u out. Although i've never been "addicted" to opiates i can relate to all of you... Me and my boyfriend used to eat percs .. Well they are veryyyy addictive as u all know. Well after 3 years of eating them 4-5 times a week he got really bad on them eating up to 10 a day which was breaking my heart because he became a totally differnt person.. I never became addicted thank god but i also would only eat about 3 or 4 endos a day.. He became so bad that i ended up leaving him (which broke my heart because we been together 8 years) but anyway getting off the subject i found him to to a doctor for suboxenes... (who by the way is sooo croocked, doesnt take insurance u just pay $400 the first visit and $100 every month!!! Which is crazy because some people cant afford that type of money so they just keep using) but im thankfull because my bf has been clean for almost a year) so from our experience eating them here are some helpful hints...so completley dry out ur mouth swallowing all saliva... Break the tablet in half put them under each side of ur tounge slowly close ur mouth while keeping ur tounge out just a little bit between ur teeth.. Although it may take a little longer then usually, about 35 mins, you dont get half the taste u usually get by just closing ur mouth sorry its kind of confusing lol but try it.. It really works.. Also try to keep ur mind off of the taste read a book or watch tv or something hope it helps some of u out... Sorry i like wrote a story on here hope i didnt bore u guys too much!
    hes not crooked at all,,..thats exactly what i paid and you know what sucks everytime if you have to switch to a different sub doctor they will all make you pay that 400 fee plus a 100 dollor visit not to mention if your on 16mgs and have no insurance it costs 415 dollars a month..im lucky i can afford it or i cant my dad is helping me.i pray for those who cant the whole addiction industry rehabs etc are all crooked..lifes a ************************* any weakness u have someone wants to make a buck off you..

david78 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Anger View Post
    hes not crooked at all,,..thats exactly what i paid and you know what sucks everytime if you have to switch to a different sub doctor they will all make you pay that 400 fee plus a 100 dollor visit not to mention if your on 16mgs and have no insurance it costs 415 dollars a month..im lucky i can afford it or i cant my dad is helping me.i pray for those who cant the whole addiction industry rehabs etc are all crooked..lifes a ************************* any weakness u have someone wants to make a buck off you..
    This is what I have been paying for a psychiatrist visit (suboxone prescription). First visit $220, next ones $110 until a friend of mine told me about the place when you paying $15!!! It’s true, it is a regular health network, they are just located in a “bad neighborhood” so they have this “suboxone program”. If you are from Chicago area - Access Community Health Network, Westside Family Health Center
    3752 W 16th St
    Chicago, IL 60623
    (773) 762-2435‎
    Sagina Hanjrah or Dr Gillar are the physician name. When you will be filling out application put low income.
    It’s $15 for visit, you not going to get prescription on the same day at the first visit. They will do all test first. Prescription after 3 days, but only for a first time. I am pretty sure that you can find this kind of place in every big cities.

dustin4338 is offline New Member

Default ...

to the best of my knowledge, if you swallow the pill, you only get like 5-10% of the medication compared to under the tounge, which there you get pretty much all of it. about 80-90%. This info was given to me from my doctor who prescribed it to me. he also told me to not shoot it and not to snort it (duh).

coyote1 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by SheLovesKoalas View Post
    I did it once, and never made that mistake again. I had been off the oxy's for a few months and ended up swallowing the Sub. Instant vertigo, nausea, etc.

Huh! Well, I'm stumped then. I couldn't swallow it again if someone paid me to.
    Janice, thanks for sharing your experience. I've been taking suboxone for a few weeks and suffering from very bad nausea and dizziness. My doctor said he'd never heard of anyone having these reactions. The drug company "coach" admitted that some people have nausea from suboxone. She said that possibly the naloxone was causing the nausea, so I could try subutex which doesn't contain naloxone. But my doctor said that it would make no difference and he said I could try taking less suboxone. I went from taking a full pill (8mg) to about 1mg (a tiny chip off the pill) but still felt dizzy.

I decided to stop taking the sub and as a result I went back to vicodin.

But in the past couple of days I've tried not swallowing the saliva and this has reduced my dizziness and nausea considerably. Perhaps I'm not getting as much of the medication into my system, because I'm not feeling the usual warm "buzz" from taking the sub (not an enjoyable "buzz" - more like getting a fever).

I feel lucky to have seen your post and others like it. Thanks again.