Suboxin and Pregnancy
    eagle5 is offline New Member

Default Suboxin and Pregnancy

My bestfriend is due to have her baby any day now. She was addicted to perscription pills before she became pregnant and got on suboxin before she became pregnant. She is still taking suboxin now and the but only half a pill when she does. I am wondering if this can affect the baby and can the baby have withdrawals? Also she is wanting to breastfeed, but I am not sure if she should do that. Please help me with this information! Thanks

Dave87666 is offline Member

WHOA! Tell her to NOT breastfeed while on suboxone,it comes out through breast milk! The baby will be ok,but if she breastfeeds then that could cause problems...

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

From what I have read and heard suboxone doesn't enter the breast milk.She is doing the right thing by using the suboxone as it probably saved her pregnancy.She and the baby will be fine as she will likely need to continue the suboxone treatment after her delivery.Good luck and happy baby times ahead.......Dave

ymccormack is offline Member

Here is the info from this site on pregnancy and Suboxone.....

"Suboxone is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is not known whether this medication will be harmful to an unborn baby. Use of this medication during pregnancy may cause withdrawal symptoms in a newborn baby. Do not take Suboxone if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment. Suboxone passes into breast milk and may be harmful to a nursing baby. Do not take this medication if you are breast-feeding a baby. "

I know because I want to get pregnant but don't want to go cold turkey.