Sub for Oxycontin
    malinjj is offline New Member

Default Sub for Oxycontin

Hello,
    I've been taking 2-40MG 2x per day for the last 2 years for major back pain. Here is my problem, I just lost my Drug Coverage and the cost for this is $770/month as opposed to the $30 I was paying before. Does anyone know a comparable sub for this that is cheaper since it's all going to be out of pocket for now on. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Last edited by ddcmod; 12-31-2007 at 01:17 PM.

jumpher is offline New Member

well sir I have been taking the duragesic pain patch one patch lasts 3 days and it works well.$15 dollars a script and you get 5 in a package last 15 days.comes in 25 50 75 and 100 mg.I was on oxy cottin and the 100 is stronger then taking 8 oxcys a day.wish you the best of luck with your pain.the last 8 to 10 hours on the 3 day it starts to wear of so the doctor gives me 15 5mg to help me get through those last few hours.hope this is some help.jumpher

Brian Munroe

rherzberg is offline New Member

Without sounding crass, change doctors! You started out hiding the pain with a pill, two years down the road you are using the pain as an excuse for the pill. Get the original problem fixed! Probably what you should have done when you had coverage. Sounds like at the cost, and now with no coverage, the second problem may be fixing itself. Good luck!

blondee28 is offline New Member

Sir,
    I just went through the very same problem only I was taking 80mg oxys which are even more expensive. I went to a Pain Clinic and the doctor was very good and thorough. He heard me tell the receptionist that I couldn't pay cash for the entire office visit because I needed enough money for my very expensive perscriptions. His advice to me was to switch to a drug that I was unfamiliar with called Methadone. It is reportedly as effective as the Oxy, long-acting and DIRT CHEAP! $20- month. Now, the down side (or good- depending on how u look at it.) Methadone doesn't give u the euphoric- good feeling that other opiates do. It makes u very drowsy (but when the tiredness wears off, I feel very clear headed) not fuzzy/loaded like w/ other opiates. Also, CAN BE DANGEROUS!!! it takes 5-7 days for levels to build up in your body before dosage amounts can be altered. (DO NOT TAKE MORE THEN DR. RECOMMENDED! MAY RESULT IN DEATH**) Anyway, for the Price, it's deffinately worth a try- also, they will prescribe other short-acting opiates like Vicodin for the adjustment period.
    Hope this helps.
    D-

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

There is also generic oxycontin now available,ask and see how much it is.It should be alot cheaper then the original.....Dave[8)]