Side Effects Promethazine 25 mg
    bellcardenas is offline New Member

Default Side Effects Promethazine 25 mg

Hi I have a daughter who is 18 years old and was prescribed this medicine for nausea. She has a cyst on her ovaries which is causing her a lot of pain and nausea. My question is should or will she be able to take this medicine and be able to stay awake during class? She has missed so many days already due to this and I don't want her to take it and then her become so sleepy she cant be in school. So if someone with past experience could please give me some information on how this medication affected them and what you would recommend I should do. Thank you for your help in this matter.

money_chick is offline Member

To tell thetruth, they knocked me slam out.... It may not do her like that and I have a friend who takes it three times each day and she does fine.

Its different for everyone I guess. I have to take a half when needed to be able to stay awake, and it still helps with nausea.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by bellcardenas View Post
    Hi I have a daughter who is 18 years old and was prescribed this medicine for nausea. She has a cyst on her ovaries which is causing her a lot of pain and nausea. My question is should or will she be able to take this medicine and be able to stay awake during class? She has missed so many days already due to this and I don't want her to take it and then her become so sleepy she cant be in school. So if someone with past experience could please give me some information on how this medication affected them and what you would recommend I should do. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Like all drugs it affects everyone a little differently (just like knocking out money-chick). Lots of drugs that would knock out someone else wouldn't do anything to her at all. All it does is help some people with nausea following surgery.

I suggest that you go to the search box at the top of this page, type in the drug and click on the drug search button. You'll have links come up for general information as well as information intended for physicians that is very detailed. Your search here will give you lots of information so nothing will surprise you with any symptoms your daughter may or may not have. Hope all goes well for her.

My ex-wife used to have ovarian cysts constantly it seemed like and I know she was in awful pain and was sick from them often. I hope your daughter has better luck with them than my ex did especially at your daughter's young age. I will include her in my prayers. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

To put it simply drowsiness CAN occur. I would have her take the drug and see how it affects her. I would possibly not tell her it causes drowsiness (unless she has to drive, not good idea when she first starts taking it anyway) because then she will be mentally influenced to being tired aka a placebo effect. But it can happen so just have her try it and see how it goes.
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B