is roxane brand methadone better than mallinckrodt brand methadone?
    NUTES008 is offline New Member

Question is roxane brand methadone better than mallinckrodt brand methadone?

any suggestions or opinions on which brand of methadone is better/stronger?

NUTES008 is offline New Member

Default roxane is better

roxane baby

anonone17 is offline Junior Member

I am a pharmacist and in my experience I have seen this: Some people come in swaering that I have them mallinckrodt methadone which contained NO methadone saying that it put them in w/d and did not work at all.

I have also had patients say the roxane did not work.

I have also had patients ( most of them ) say they cannot tell the difference at all.

I believe it is a mind of matter ordeal. The same thing goes around with mallie's hydrocodone and oxycodone. People say mallie's are inferior because they are cheap. They believe that if cheaper toilet paper does not work as well, then obviously it's the same way with drugs. The truth is, and I know this for a fact, that fda guidelines prevent generic drugs from being substantially diffent from the brand name the most variation that is allowed in a drug is 5% for the active ingredient. This is no where near enough to cause someone to feel a difference.

Then I get these people who say that because there is a 20% variation in the INACTIVE ingredient allowed, thats what causes the drugs to not work as effectivly. They tell me the binders and such in the pill prohibit the body from absorbing it. NOT TRUE. I can tell you for a fact that the reason they are called inactive is because they have no effect on your body. Many people will hate me for typing this saying " Mallies, watson's etc. DO NOT WORK or THEY DON"T WORK AS WELL AS BRAND NAME! "

The truth of this matter is it's a placebo effect. If someone hands you a steak to eat and then tells you it lived in filth and was diseased while your eating, even if it's top notch filet mignon your not going to like it.

If you really believe that a brand is not as good or potent as another, then it will feel that way. In reality though, the reason why mallie's and others are cheaper is because your not paying for a NAME and since mallie is such a big company they can afford to bring their prices down because they sell so much product!

Bottom line: generic work just as well as brand name- you just have to believe it!
    Thanks!

MSt
    MSt is offline New Member

Default malli/roxanne/roche/watson...............

Quote Originally Posted by anonone17 View Post
    I am a pharmacist and in my experience I have seen this: Some people come in swaering that I have them mallinckrodt methadone which contained NO methadone saying that it put them in w/d and did not work at all.

I have also had patients say the roxane did not work.

I have also had patients ( most of them ) say they cannot tell the difference at all.

I believe it is a mind of matter ordeal. The same thing goes around with mallie's hydrocodone and oxycodone. People say mallie's are inferior because they are cheap. They believe that if cheaper toilet paper does not work as well, then obviously it's the same way with drugs. The truth is, and I know this for a fact, that fda guidelines prevent generic drugs from being substantially diffent from the brand name the most variation that is allowed in a drug is 5% for the active ingredient. This is no where near enough to cause someone to feel a difference.

Then I get these people who say that because there is a 20% variation in the INACTIVE ingredient allowed, thats what causes the drugs to not work as effectivly. They tell me the binders and such in the pill prohibit the body from absorbing it. NOT TRUE. I can tell you for a fact that the reason they are called inactive is because they have no effect on your body. Many people will hate me for typing this saying " Mallies, watson's etc. DO NOT WORK or THEY DON"T WORK AS WELL AS BRAND NAME! "

The truth of this matter is it's a placebo effect. If someone hands you a steak to eat and then tells you it lived in filth and was diseased while your eating, even if it's top notch filet mignon your not going to like it.

If you really believe that a brand is not as good or potent as another, then it will feel that way. In reality though, the reason why mallie's and others are cheaper is because your not paying for a NAME and since mallie is such a big company they can afford to bring their prices down because they sell so much product!

Bottom line: generic work just as well as brand name- you just have to believe it!
    I agree that FDA guidlines are very strict about bioequivelence (the 5% I didn't know about). I take Roxanne methadone at 130mg/day and it works great, if I take 2 or 3, I'm high as the north star on Christmas Eve. I'm not recommending this, but know it to be the case with generic oxycodone and dispersible meth discks too.
    Roxanne makes Roxicodone, so I am very partial to it. I love the company and even find their 54/543 generic Percocet to be better than others like Endocet etc...
    HOWEVER, THIS IS PROBABLY ALL PLACEBO AFFECT. I've been on Roxanne opiates for years but today took 230mg of mallie Methadone. It's only been 20 minutes, but I am not counting on any difference in affect, hopefully negating the placebo affect, as a dose that high (along with the benzodiazepines today: Xanax, Ativan and 2 others........) should have me zingin' very well in an hour or so.
    Then, tomorrow, when it's back to Roxanne 130mg Meth w/ benzos, I should be just fine (not high, but not sick..........in 3 days when I get my next 27 130mg/day Roxanne "take-homes" from the clinic, I should be back to baseline. It was the same with VistaPharm Methadone.
    So far as Percs 2.5-500-10/325, Hydrocodone in its many forms, Oxys, Oral Morphine and Hydromorphone, I haven't found any significant difference. Only Roxicodone makes me feel different and that's probably because it's relatively unique, but certainly not stronger as it only goes up to 30 little milligrams.

Intractable Pain is offline New Member

Default I have use All of the Methadones

I had used Methadone Tablets & "Methadose" for 8 years straight. I took all four, including "Dolophine."

When I was taking it, I was taking 40 mg.-50 mg., four times daily.
    For me, All of them worked the Same. I never could discern a difference.