[?] re: Cytomel - Manufacturer Change
    jakitay is offline New Member

Default [?] re: Cytomel - Manufacturer Change

My Cytomel 5 mcg tablets now have a new appearance (KPI on one side, 115 on the other). I was informed by the pharmacy that there was a change in manufacturer but haven't been able to find any mention of this on the Internet. I'm assuming that with a change in company, the formulation stays the same?? I'm always reticent to make changes in a medication which has been working well for me. Any info for this novice pharm-switcher is greatly appreciated.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Well you have to understand that there are tons of companies available that manufacture various generics, if a generic version has been available previously, this might not even necessarily be a new version of the med, just simply different from what you are used to getting.

And no, the formulary does not have to be exactly the same among generics. They can use different fillers and binders, as long as they use the same active ingredient, which is why some generics do not work well for some people, something in the inactive ingredients just doesn't agree with their bodies.

As a matter of fact, the active drug in generics, are allowed, under FDA regulations, to vary by as much as + or - 20%. They also are not required to undergo the same quality testing that the name brands were, they can simply get the active ingredient, make their version, and toss it on the market.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

jakitay is offline New Member

Many thanks for the informative reply. Fortunately (based on what you wrote about these discrepancies) the drug I get is not a generic. It's the Cytomel brand of liothyronine (which I always get) and I was told the brand itself was bought out by another pharmaceutical. In that case, when the brand has been purchased, are they obligated to formulate it in the same way as the previous lab? I don't know if this is something which can be answered. My doctor is on extended holiday, otherwise I would check with him this week.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Nope, they still don't have to manufacturer it exactly the same.

I have had some drugs that when I took one, it was like taking nothing. Others I took one, and it was fine, then again I could take the next dose and it would seem like I had taken to much and overdoses. All in the same bottle, from the same company.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~