Rapid sleep PM. Is it safe to take?
    brianfuentes is offline New Member

Default Rapid sleep PM. Is it safe to take?

I just bought: Applied Nutritions Rapid Sleep PM. It says it has all natural ingredients, I honestly don't know if it is or not. It has 3MG of Melatonin, and 800MG of Valerian extract, Hops extract, and Passionflower extract.

I also take Percocet 4 times a day for headaches. Is is safe to mix the two?

I hope I can get some fast responses as I'm ready to hit the hay.

Thanks.

Anybody???

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Doubt that anything in that mixture would cause any harm. Also doubt that it's going to knock you out either.

Why would you be in this position needing sleep meds at the last minute on Saturday night? Just wondering. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

I haven't been able to sleep these last few weeks. The Percocets seem to give me energy, I though they would knock me out.

So you think this stuff won't work?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Not saying it won't help any but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Everyone reacts differently to things like melatonin, valerian root, etc. It just depends on how your body is affected. They are all just supplements.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

As long as there isn't any interactions, it's worth a shot.

Businessman1 is offline Member

I use Melatonin fairly often for sleep. In my opinion it is the only OTC med that has any real effect. There is no know issue with mixing it with percs. That being said, I don't think there has been that much research into it's long-term effects....

For me, I always needed more than 3mg for it to work properly. Also, it only works temporarily - If I try and use it every day then it stops working by day 3 and increasing the dose seems to make no difference. My main issue is that if it works, it is really hard for me to get up the next day - I can literally sleep for 15 hours and still be tired.

It also depends on what is keeping you awake. For some reason I doubt it's just the percs. Have you tried cutting out coffee etc? Melatonin is not strong enough to come-down of any other drug (from caffeine to coke). It's also not strong enough to help with insomnia from W/Ds.

Most people on here will tell you that Opiates are not the right substance for headaches - headaches can actually be one of the side effects. That aside, I'm sure your doctor is better qualified than me to make that call. Maybe ask to change to hydrocodone. It made me sleepier than oxy.

One final thing with OTC sleep meds, some of them contain tylenol. Your percs also contain tylenol. Make sure you're not doubling up.