Promethazine - Fail a drug test?
    Sketch is offline New Member

Default Promethazine - Fail a drug test?

My wife recently gave birth to a child, and before hand, they gave her a drug test... they found Barbituates in her system. I had talked to a police oficer and he said that promethizine will make you test positive on a drug test for barbituates. Is this true?

I live in texas, is it legal for them to give her a drug test without her consent or telling her?

What is Amphetamines? I heard that it is a main ingrediant in Tylonol Cold and Synus... is this true?

Please if you know, i need this information as quickly as possible. Please help me! Beacuse the hospital got cps involved and they're trying to keep our baby from us... help me out...

Thank you,
    Dillon

Sketch is offline New Member

I do kinda need an answer asap...

myfriendana is offline New Member

Honestly I dont know myself and I hope you do find answers. Even poppy seeds can come up in blood tests as marijuana though so be very particular.... and make them show proof

Zaleski25 is offline New Member

Have you found any answers that you needed or do you still need help??? If you need anything, let me know because I am sure that I wil be able to help you out with this, or anything else. I have done a lot of research on this stuff because I went through something similar(not with the baby part though) and you would be surprised what some people try to do even though it is illegal. Also, a lot of people don't know their rights when they are going through something like this, and they don't do the proper research either!

psisci is offline Junior Member

Promethazine is a phenothiazine (like many old antipsychotics), and is used to suppress cough. It will not show up as barbiturates, and if is does somehow then ask them to test for promethazine and show them the script. Amphetamines are either made illegally or sold as highly controlled medications, and are not in anything over the counter anywhere in the western world. Poppy seeds will not test you positive for marijuana, but have been responsible in the past for positive tox screens for opiates as all poppy seeds have a little opiate-like substance in them. I am not sure of the legal aspect of testing without consent in TX, but that should be easy to find out from the hospital Social Worker or the like.
    PS. The only way I have seen promethazine used in the USA is in combination with codeine for severe coughing; it is a liquid.

Dr.S.

Highwaytiger is offline New Member

Actualy Promethazine is a antihistamine and a lot of times used in combination with Painmeds to keep you from getting sick.I dont think it woudt show up in a drugtest but with all those new tests out there you cant be sure off anything anymore.Highway

psisci is offline Junior Member

It does have antihistamine properties, but it is a phenothiazine dopamine antagonist primarily.

Dr.S.

ByronLite is offline New Member

A false positive is defined as a drug free sample falsely being reported as positive for drugs. This can occur for a number of reasons including: improper laboratory procedure, mixing up specimen samples, incorrect paperwork, and passive inhalation.

The following have been reported to cause a false positive for barbiturates:

BARBITURATES
    Prescription Meds:
    Fiorinal for tension headaches, Donnatal for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome and stomach ulcers, and antiepileptic medications containing phenobarbital (i.e. Dilantin)

Prescription NSAIDs:
    Anaprox, Tolectin, ifenoprofen, fluriprofen, oxaprozin, Ansaid, Clinoril, Dolobid, Feldene, Indocin, Lodine, Meclomen, Nalfon, Naprosyn, Orudis, Relafen, Voltaren

Others: Kidney infection, kidney disease, diabetes, liver disease

Many over the counter cold medicines or decongestants and other meds contain compounds such as ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, phenylpropanolamine, phenylhexadrine, etc. that are structurally related chemically to the more powerful amphetamines. These compounds usually have minor stimulant actions. They often cause false positive reactions for amphetamines in drug test.

It's not that poppy seeds contain an opiate-like substance that causes false positive for opiates in drug screens but are contaminated with opium from the seed pods. The seed pods are the source of opium.

Human madness is a most feline thing. When you thing it fled it may have but transformed itself into some still subtler form.

--Herman Mellville, Moby Dick

AskO is offline New Member

I think the Tylenol Cold and Sinus may have Acetaminophen as opposed to Amphetamines. And - no - Acetaminophen should not show up on a drug test considering it's sold in a lot of over-the-counter medications. Hope it helps ya

Psilocybe is offline New Member

Hmmm, I wish someone really knew for sure if it was likely for promethazine to cause a false positive or not. I got a free pill from this kid, and he said it was a 5 mg oxycodone tablet of some kind. Turns out it's a 25 mg promethazine. I'm on UAs as part of my probation. It's kind of funny. I can take methadone 'cause it won't show up in a standard test, I can get away with oxycodone 'cause it only shows up for a day in a standard test, but I have to worry about this stuff because it might show a false positive for pot. AARRRRGH!

BTW, contrary to what Sketch was told, I read that promethazine can cause a false positive for pot (and acid). Nothing was mentioned about barbituares.

FAD3D is offline New Member

Default Promethazine poppy, etc on UAs...

I have some decent insight , I realize this might be an old post, but I came across it so someone else may too. I take Promethazine HCL (http://www.drugs.com/imprints/gg-225-10587.html)
    and I am on probation and being treated in a methadone clinic. It does not show up on Urine Analyses. I give UAs at the clinic and at probation and have never tested positive for anything. The poppy seed thing... you would have to eat a lot for it to show up as an opiate, and if you show up positive (with NO opiate use) contesting the results are a PITA. But worth it if you got something important depending on your drug screen results. Methadone does not show up either. I have had several UAs while on Methadone, including pre employment, probation, and the Methadone Clinic, and they have to have specifically tested for it.
    On a side note... Promethazine (Phenergan) enhances other medications. Especially opiates, benzodiazepines, and others. My wife was in post surgery on a Hydromorphone drip, and still had some pain and the nurse said she was going to put some Phenergan into the IV that would help enhance the Dilaudid. And in a few minutes my wife was out. anyways, thats about it, just wanted to offer some knowledge from my personal experience. Thanks a lot. Be Safe.
    ******I am not in any way a healthcare professional, or on the way to being one and do not claim that in any way this information is true for everyone, just myself.******

nobby02 is offline Member

I got popped twice on a urine sample for amphetamines and PCP of all things. Never had amphetamines OR PCP, the second time I made them send it to a lab. This was when I was taking suboxone and I had a urine test every month. So they CAN be wrong.

jaypbarb666 is offline Member

I get drug tested regularly and I was once given promethazine for dizziness and vomitting when I was sick one time, and I have never failed a drug test.

terryw420 is offline New Member

Yes it can and will, Im 27 years old and am on it myself I have to take a drug test every month for probation and every time it come up hot for barbituates, so that is definatley the case!! Hands down no questions asked, and yes it is legal for them to test the baby my father just had my baby sister and that is how i found out because he works for duke university and asked around after findoing out they tested my baby sis.Usually it will cause a false negative for methamphetamines/amphetamines hince the name
    pro-(METH)-azine

candycane58 is offline New Member

Acetaminophen, is Tylenol period nothing else, and is sold every where, I am Medical for 10 yrs. until I had a botched back surgery. The in house tests are awful, and most Medical Doctors don't want to spend the money for sending it to orange county California because it is about $400.00 a person and takes 7 days to come back with the results, because it is so fool proof, a while ago they found valium in me a 1- 10 Mg only 1!! and I took it 3 months before the test, yet I never even knew I was being tested at all. Then my Dr came in the room and told me, and I told him I don't even take valium I lied, because I thought how crazy to find something that long ago. if they are doing a test right at the hospital and not sending it out, then I would ask them to send it out if you are sure she did not take what you say, and yes Phenergan can cause a false positive for amphetamines, so I would say send it out to California then. And to the other question sine the FDA and the DEA are now together the hospital computers are now set up to tell what Drs your wife went to, the meds she has been prescribed, and for what. and yes they can and are now doing urine tests all over, since the death of Anna Nichole, and Michael Jackson, they decided to tighten up and it sucks , so good luck, it is crappie and not fair for people who have done nothing wrong, for them to put people who are in pain thru this and just innocent people. They are trying to stop people from doctor shopping. If your wife didn't take amphetamines then she needs to be strong and say send it out. And congratulations and don't worry, I know you will be fine