Prilosec OTC vs Nexium Question -->
    jrm2002ss is offline New Member

Default Prilosec OTC vs Nexium Question -->

Hello,

I took Nexium (40mg) for 1 year after being diagnosed with GERD and Esophogitus after a Endoscopy was performed.

Nexium was my savior after taking 1 bottle of TUMs acid relief per week. 1 Nexium pill per day for 1 year caused nearly zero heartburn and allowed me to sleep at night.

1 month ago, my prescription ran out, and I decided to see if I could try using Prilosec OTC which is still relatively new on the market. It FAILED... until, I decided to experiment (I know, bad idea) with doubling the doseage for 2 days in a row from 20mg OTC to 40mg OTC and viola! the heartburn has been eliminated for those 2 days where I doubled up. Obviously the package says not to take more than 1 pill per 24 hours... but I know for a fact that Prilosec prescription comes in 10mg, 20mg and 40mg doseage.

Am I taking any big risks taking OTC as a 40mg a day setup?

stingray is offline Junior Member

OTC products have maximum dosages and durations of treatment on the labels so that they are taken as intended - for uncomplicated conditions that do not need to be monitored by a doctor.

The OTC setup as you describe I am sure is fine in the short term, but if it has been a year since you have seen your doctor, it is probably time you went back for a checkup.