Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
Pregnant and taking Subutex, help!!
    ydnarb is offline Junior Member

Question Pregnant and taking Subutex, help!!

Hey everyone!
    I just found out a few days ago that I am pregnant...about 6 weeks. This will be my second, I have a 5 year old.
    I have been on Subutex for about 3 months...the suboxone made me very sick, that why I am taking subutex. I was taking hydro/oxycodone 4 years prior to the sub.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about pregnancy and taking subutex? There is very little out there on the internet. some say its ok, others say it is not.

I do have a doctor's appointment with my subutex Doctor next week, but he told me that this has never come up before in the 2 years he has been distributing suboxone...he is relying on local doctors for help. I happen to live right smack dab in the middle of the bible belt...and it's a pretty small mountain town.
    They will not like the thought of a pregnant woman on subutex...my thought is they are going to tell me to come off without even looking into it.

I've also heard it was very dangerous to go through withdrawal why you are pregnant.

So if someone would please give me any info they have on this...i want to make the right decision, the one that's least harmful to the baby. Thanks!

withak is offline Member

Default i understand completely!!

hello!
    well, i have the exact same story under my belt, and my baby from the pregnancy just turned 4 months old, so i can share what i went thru -

i was taking 8-10 norco a day and any other opiate i could get my hands on (when i was out of the norco), when i went on suboxone (basically the same as subutex, as you know). i was on sub for about a month when i found out i was pregnant. i called my sub doc right away and just like you said, NO ONE has any info on being pregnant and being on sub. so, the doc had me wean off of the sub, over a total of maybe 5 days at the most, and then that was it. i guess he expected me to just "be fine", who knows (as far as pills were concerned). so, i tapered off the sub, then had an appointment with my OB. she didn't knwo a THING about sub, she actually hadn't even heard of it before, so that was nice. (ha-ha). she said she would be ok with me taking it, but the sub doc wasn't ok with it, and rightfully so. i went in to talk to him more about it, and he kept coming back to the fact that there's no studies on it, and that i had already taken it for about the first 6 weeks of my pregnancy, which he didn't like the thought of. he kept saying that at the early stages of the baby's development, is when all the receptors are being formed, etc. the last half of the pregnancy, or probably closer to around the last trimester, the baby's all formed, everything is the way it will be when it's born, but the baby just grows bigger. so he was freaked out (not really freaked out, just concerned), that at the early stage i was in would be a bad time to take it b/c of all the little things being formed. it kinda got me freaked out, too, so i ended up wanting to be off of it anyways. however, i went to my primary, and she said i couldn't be taking ANY pain meds except for the norco, while pregnant. (over-the-counter tylenol was of course ok, but i needed (aka:wanted) something stronger), so as far as opiates went, i could only take the norco (i was also taking ultram). anyways, she was very aware of the fact that i was pregnant, yet she still prescribed me #60-#90 norco's every 2 weeks. and i took that my entire pregnancy, if you can believe that. the baby is totally fine, he's super healthy and happy with not one single symptom of withdrawl or addiction. i am really, truly surprised, to tell you the truth, yet so, so, SO thankful. throughout the pregnancy, i would make attempts to take less, and i DID do well, some days better than others, but the bottom line is i was still taking the pills while pregnant. and PLEASE don't get me wrong and think i'm OKing the use of opiates while pregnant. i'm totally NOT. i'm just sharing my story with you, in hopes of giving you some peace of mind and a little knowledge from my experience

as far as the withdrawling goes while pregnant, i've never heard it's "bad" for the baby. i would personally think it would be better to w/d and go thru the rest of the pregnancy clean, and then have a good, FOR SURE healthy baby. but i also think that whatever YOU go thru while pregnant, the baby will go thru. like, people that quit smoking and stuff. but the bottom line is: i wouldn't think it would hurt the baby to stop, only bring it good, definitely.

any more questions? just let me know...
    i'll try to give you everything i can from my own experience. ya know, you can search for and find all this info on being pregnant and pills and stuff, but there's nothing quite like finding AN ACTUAL MOM who WENT THRU IT, so, i'll be that mom for you if you want . and just so you have some background on me: that last pregnancy was my fourth child, i'm a stay at home mom and you would never guess in a thousand years from looking at me and my family that i struggle with these STUPID pills!!! i hate them! yet, i still take them, mostly b/c i am scared to death to go thru w/d. but my ideal goal is to live a happy, healthy, clean life, like i did before these idiot pills found their way into my life! i can't wait for that day to come! it's going to be hard, i know, but i haven't given up hope that i can go back to what i used to be: someone who found happiness in the every day sort of things, not someone who needs pills to find enjoyment from...

ok, hope that helps.
    i'll be here if you need me

keep us posted!!
    and congratulations on being pregnant!!

sandra23 is offline New Member

Default help me please....

thank you so much for your helpful and encouraging story i do have a couple questions though. what did u do about having opiats in ur system when the baby was born? and was it easier to come off the suboxone then normal opiates or pills? again thank u very very much... sandra

JeniLee182 is offline New Member

Default Quitting subutex while pregnant

I have successfully quite subutex while pregnant. Now, i understand many of u choose to stay on the subs, this was my wish too, but i had no choice. I didnt have a doctor and i bought them off the street for years. Well, 3 years later im pregnant. I waited, and postponed it, till eventually i ran out of money to buy my subs. So here we go right! Now the first week was absolute hell! The 8th day i was ready to cave and deeply concerned about the effect it was having on my fetus. I went to the ER to make sure everything was ok. Of course they were shocked i stopped my subs and werent very happy about it but oh well, thats life. Everyhing was checked out and i was told baby was ok. I have a follow up appointment in a few weeks at a clinic until my insurance kicks in. Without any ambien or clonidine or valium, i endured the wds and tried to stay as comfortable as possible. Eat, drink, rest. It is now day 18, and the worst is over! Finally! Now its about 2 weeks of sweats, chills, aches, yawning, sneezing, restless legs, insomnia, and lets not forget stomach pains. After those 2 weeks it starts to go away. And what ur left with is this notorious second phase of wds called PAWS.( post acute withdrawl syndrome) anxiety, depression, extreme weakness among some. My sleep has returned and improved. I almost sleep thru the nite completely. Everyday i feel better n move around a bit more. Its a struggle gettting motivated, but you must fight for the things u want. I know when i hit the month mark, it will be that much better. It can be done!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Ladies ...... I have worked with lots of women who were pregnant on this forum and using subs. Any dr that knows what he is doing will have you on subutex vs suboxone as the subutex is pure buprenorphine and doesn't have the naloxone in it that is not good for the baby and is in suboxone.

I can taper you off the subutex successfully you have my promise. I've done it repeatedly over the years with others that were pregnant. I could even get some ladies who I've done this with to post here as proof as I've become personal friends with them since they got clean and had their babies born totally clean and those little babies didn't have to go through ANY w/d from any drugs whatsoever. I could never hurt a little baby! The last girl I did this with just had her baby a couple months ago and I know her mom would be more than happy to give you encouragement and confidence.

If you will do what I ask you to do TO THE LETTER we can do this successfully and it won't be dangerous for the baby. We just have to do it properly. I do this slowly and make it as easy as I possibly can on you as I don't want your baby going through w/d as you gently taper.You are probably a basket case anyway just being pregnant, so I take all that into consideration as we taper you off the subs. I would never tell you to do anything that would endanger your baby.

I was a little scared doing this the first few times I did it, but I've never had anyone that I've tapered off subutex while pregnant that had any problems nor has any of the babies had any problems. Let me know if you want my help. God bless.
    Peanut6812 likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Peanut6812 is offline New Member

Default Robert

I am currently 21 w 5 d pregnant .... I have stopped the use of opiates and subutex....I am 10 days in nd feeling awful. Nobody and I mean nobody seems to have reassuring answers or answers at all.... I'm starting to thnk all doctors are incompetent .... I have been doing my research and have become a basket case . I already suffer from a severe panic disorder and the w/d does not help!!!! I feel like I will never be normal agin.... Any advice?????????

Peanut6812 is offline New Member

JeniLee---- first off congrats second off I give you props.... I keep rereading your post to gain some positive strength....next do not get me wrong I have no interest in looking at an opiate again but I can totally see why relapse is soooooo easy....the pain and anxiety seems unbearable.... I want to see the white light that everyone speaks about, but yet I have no idea when it's coming and I know the more I look for it the more I will make myself crazy. The minutes go slowly and to get dressed seems like a hassle....I cannot wait to be ble to enjoy my first pregnancy....hopefully that will be coming in the near future

Blondi313 is offline New Member

robert,
    interested in your advice. i have researched a variety of homeopathic remedies and such and wanted to know if you could contact me.

babiegurl22 is offline New Member

Robert
    I think Im pregnant too early for test results but I have been pregnant before so pretty much Know. Im addicted to subutex n desperate for help. I need to get off them so bad. Can you help??

Juju11 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Ladies ...... I have worked with lots of women who were pregnant on this forum and using subs. Any dr that knows what he is doing will have you on subutex vs suboxone as the subutex is pure buprenorphine and doesn't have the naloxone in it that is not good for the baby and is in suboxone.

I can taper you off the subutex successfully you have my promise. I've done it repeatedly over the years with others that were pregnant. I could even get some ladies who I've done this with to post here as proof as I've become personal friends with them since they got clean and had their babies born totally clean and those little babies didn't have to go through ANY w/d from any drugs whatsoever. I could never hurt a little baby! The last girl I did this with just had her baby a couple months ago and I know her mom would be more than happy to give you encouragement and confidence.

If you will do what I ask you to do TO THE LETTER we can do this successfully and it won't be dangerous for the baby. We just have to do it properly. I do this slowly and make it as easy as I possibly can on you as I don't want your baby going through w/d as you gently taper.You are probably a basket case anyway just being pregnant, so I take all that into consideration as we taper you off the subs. I would never tell you to do anything that would endanger your baby.

I was a little scared doing this the first few times I did it, but I've never had anyone that I've tapered off subutex while pregnant that had any problems nor has any of the babies had any problems. Let me know if you want my help. God bless.
    I have 13 weeks left and want to be done with subutex before I give birth.. Help??!!