Percocet strength
    rhutka is offline New Member

Default Percocet strength

I have been receiving Percocet 10/325 for a long period of time, along with Oxycontin 40mg, to help alleviate my lower back pain. I need to get monthly refills of each. When I got home and got ready to take my meds this evening, I took my new precriptions out of the bag and saw that the Percocet looked very different from the ones I usually take. Then I read the label and it says the Percocet is 5/325 instead of 10/325. What I need to know is whether the 5/325's are less strong than the 10/325's?. The meds don't work that great anymore as it is without the doctor or the pharmacy making a mistake and giving me the less effective medication. I would like to know the difference between the two precriptions before I contact the doctor to see if he changed my medication without telling me, or if the pharmacy just made a mistake filling the prescription. Thanks in advance for any hellp.

Yes, if the bottle says 5/325 then the stronger pain part of the medication (oxycodone) is 5 mg instead of 10 mg in the 10/325 so half the strength. I would definitely call the pharmacy and simply have them double check the doctor did write it for 5/325 and explain you've been getting 10/325 for a long time and wanted to double check. If they say that is true the doc wrote 5/325 then either the doctor messed up or he had something in mind by reducing the dose, either way you need to talk to him. Depending on how often you take it I would not double up the drug to get 10 mg of oxycodone because you may run into issues of having a too high amount of tylenol (the 325 is 325 mg of APAP aka tylenol) which is no more than 4,000 mg/day or else you will get liver toxicity and if too high you could die from it (not trying to scare you!).
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B

Default Thanks Pharmstud(ent)

Thanks so much for your super quick reply. That is exactly what I thought the answer would be, but I thought I would get a better educated answer before I made the necessary phone calls. This is such a great site for getting info on anything to do with medications. Sure am glad I found it. Thanks again for your help.

Default Pharmstud(ent)

I forgot to ask you whether Percocet came in any other variations besides the 5/325 and 10/325?

mitchigan is offline Member

Default Whats up with that?

Why do the pharmacies do that. I hear SO many stories of them substituting something close. For years I had liver disease and just could NOT take tylenol. Doc wrote me a script for Vicoprofen, I filled it, and took half of them before I noticed they were Vicodin. How do they get away with that?

You're most welcome! Well here's the deal percocet is the name brand from oxycodone and APAP or tylenol which I kind of mentioned earlier. As for strengths, the name brand percocet (& its generic form) comes in 2.5/325, 5/325 (far and away most common), 7.5/325, 7.5/500, 10/325, 10/650. But their are other strengths of the generic, but would not technically be called percocet because the name brand percocet does not come in these strengths (if you follow me, haha), they are: 5/500, 7.5/500. Hope this helps! Notice my new signature, haha, got to be legal nowadays.
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B

Quote Originally Posted by mitchigan View Post
    Why do the pharmacies do that. I hear SO many stories of them substituting something close. For years I had liver disease and just could NOT take tylenol. Doc wrote me a script for Vicoprofen, I filled it, and took half of them before I noticed they were Vicodin. How do they get away with that?
    Well obviously pharmacies never INTEND to give you the wrong medication, of course you know that. There are many factors to consider. NOT saying in your case but I have come across many people "thinking" we gave them the wrong medication when in fact the doctor wrote the wrong medicine and we did our part correctly. HOWEVER, just like any process involving humans there will inevitably be mistakes and the pharmacy will mess up. Keep in mind a lot of the work done is by technicians who might have no college degree and make $7-10 an hour. All medication is reviewed (that it is typed into the computer correctly) and verified (that the patient is getting the right medicine that is on the bottle) so the pharmacist does double check everything that is done, but it still is impossible to never make a mistake. I do not mean to be rude or put all blame on you, but I always tell patients to double check their meds before they get home or at least before they start taking them and call us if anything does not seem right. Every patient needs to be slightly responsible for themselves because no one will look at things in more detail than the one who actually has to take the medicine. I apologize for that pharmacy giving the whole industry a bad name, but there is NO pharmacy ANYWHERE that is 100% perfect just like no doctor, or ANY profession is always 100% perfect or right. When the mistake does happen we correct the mistake and usually refund the money if it does turn out to be our fault. God Bless

Dr. B

mitchigan is offline Member

Default A few bad apples...

Please don't take my observation as a personal attack on your profession. I have the utmost respect for pharmicists and have always felt their knowledge of pharmacolgy was far superior to most doctors. In my instance however, the label was printed out as vicoprofen, the data sheet said vicoprofen, and then I noticed the pills were watson 385. I suspect they didn't have the proper analgesic in the correct dose and figured hydrocodone is hydrocodone. It was a large chain and I just changed pharmacies. I'm sure the vast majority don't operate like that!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Hi Greg ... honestly very seldom to pharmacies fill a script wrong. They have multiple checks for filling scripts properly. They have way too much liability at stake giving you the wrong medication.

When there is a mistake it's most always the dr who wrote down the wrong mg or dosing instructions wrong on their script pad. Think how many patients they see each day and the number of prescriptions they write. Not to make excuses for them, they get paid well and should be expected to not make mistakes, but to be human is to err occasionally.

Sounds like a simple mistake to me. If your dr intended to reduce your medication strength by that amount he/she would have almost assuredly informed you. I would call the nurse at the dr's office and they will probably call in a corrected script. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Thanks once again for your help. I called the pharmacy and found out that my doc had written the wrong dosage on the script and then called the doctor's office right away to let them know and to see if he would make a correction. Since the medication is only half strength, I would have to double up and not a good idea to do that because of the tylenol and I would only get half of a month's worth of medicine anyway. And yes, you are correct, he would have talked to me before he decided to lower my dosage. He knows how much trouble I'm having with my lower back and just wouldn't do that to me. Have a great day!!

Lkerkau is offline New Member

Default Crazy Larry

What is Vicoprofen?

Vicoprofen contains a combination of hydrocodone and ibuprofen. Hydrocodone is in a group of drugs called narcotic pain relievers. Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Ibuprofen works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.

Vicoprofen is used short-term to relieve severe pain. This medication is not for treating arthritis pain.

It does not have ASAP in it! Safer for your liver

juleerossman is offline New Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pharmstud(ent) View Post
    Well obviously pharmacies never INTEND to give you the wrong medication, of course you know that. There are many factors to consider. NOT saying in your case but I have come across many people "thinking" we gave them the wrong medication when in fact the doctor wrote the wrong medicine and we did our part correctly. HOWEVER, just like any process involving humans there will inevitably be mistakes and the pharmacy will mess up. Keep in mind a lot of the work done is by technicians who might have no college degree and make $7-10 an hour. All medication is reviewed (that it is typed into the computer correctly) and verified (that the patient is getting the right medicine that is on the bottle) so the pharmacist does double check everything that is done, but it still is impossible to never make a mistake. I do not mean to be rude or put all blame on you, but I always tell patients to double check their meds before they get home or at least before they start taking them and call us if anything does not seem right. Every patient needs to be slightly responsible for themselves because no one will look at things in more detail than the one who actually has to take the medicine. I apologize for that pharmacy giving the whole industry a bad name, but there is NO pharmacy ANYWHERE that is 100% perfect just like no doctor, or ANY profession is always 100% perfect or right. When the mistake does happen we correct the mistake and usually refund the money if it does turn out to be our fault. God Bless
    Also, as I am currently discovering, most insurances will not approve the higher strenghts of the Percocet unless your doctor obtains a "prior auth." which most doctors are too busy to complete., thus the pharmacy will have the doctor re-write for the lower strenghth in order to have it filled. Especially so if you have Cal-Optima. As I am permanently disabled with MS, I have Cal-Optima, and face this quandry with so many of my RX's as they are generally written "off-label" for MS and/or considered "experimental". Very frustrating!
    Good Luck, God Bless, and here's to a low pain day