Paxil and a sleep aid?
    BearsRmyFriends is offline New Member

Question Paxil and a sleep aid?

Hi,
    I take Paxil CR 25mg for my anxiety. I have been having insomnia recently, where it takes me anywhere from 45 minutes to two hours to fall asleep and I often wake up in the night. I want to take a prescription sleep aid like Lunesta or Ambien to help with this, but I don't know if they interact and nothing on the internet tells me anything. I've tried OTC sleep aids but they don't do anything. Can anyone give me some information? I asked the pharmacist, she said there is some mild interaction between Paxil and Lunesta but that I should ask my doctor. Thanks for any help

OXYmom is offline Member

Well, I've never taken Paxil, but I do take citalopram 40 mg 1xday. When I need help sleeping, I take the generic for Unisom- it is the only sleep aid that I have found that is Doxylamine and not Benedryl (Diphenhydramine). The Diphenhydramine does not work for me. But, the Doxylamine does. It is OTC.

When I tried Lunesta, I had the most horrible side effect- a very bad taste in my mouth for about 36 hours- it caused even water to taste foul, I was miserable! I even e-mailed the company and got a reply back that it was the most common side effect. It doesn't sound bad but I swear I will never take it again!

I would first try the Doxylamine before a rx. It works wonders for me! Good luck and hopefully someone with paxil experience will pop in here!

bboomer is offline New Member

Default Trazodone

When I was taking Paxil and suffering insomnia my doctor gave me Trazodone 50mg (I cut in half). Trazodone is an old anti-depressant alot of times used now as off-label for insomnia. It really works. I fell asleep within 10 minutes of taking so it is advised to take right before going to bed and to get in bed earlier than normal so you won't feel so groggy the next day.

MentalRide is offline New Member

I would like to mention that I have been using Paxil for nearly 14 years. At times I go off it because of the sexual side-effects. I sometimes cut the use of it for about a week and when I come back to normal use I find that Paxil makes me sleepy. However at times I have discovered that Paxil can make me experience insomnia, this has been a rare occurence for me. I am returning to Paxil at this writing and experiencing sleepiness. The sleepy effect is blissful. Currently, my prescription in my regimen of medicines consist of Paxil and Seroquel. Seroquel is an anti-psychotic however has been used as a sleep aid. Ask about this combination if Paxil is causing sleep problems. NOTE: Seroquel has it's health risks and please ask about those. I have blood work done once every year.
    Last edited by MentalRide; 10-12-2012 at 03:05 PM.