Oxycontin and Morphine?
    megankalu is offline New Member

Default Oxycontin and Morphine?

Does oxycontin and morphine contain the same ingredients? I ask this because I was given a prescription for morphine for a sciatica problem I've had for years and it's getting worse and I couldn't stop itching and felt just awful when i took the morphine 100 ml by pill form. So my doctor changed me to a new drug last week called oxycontin 80 ml (oxycodone) twice daily and that hasn't made me ill at all, so I'm confused because I did some research on both drugs and i thought they contained the same ingredients, only different companies.

Question #2: My doctor advised me that this drug has to be taken daily, even if i'm not experiencing pain. He says it's a pain management regiment. Is this true?
    Thank you

Izzyyyy is offline New Member

Exclamation 'Same class not same ingredients.

While morphine and oxycontin are classified the same, they are not the same ingredients. And oxycontin is not a take as needed medication, it should be taken exactly as prescribed as it is for pain management and it is much more effective if taken in regimine.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by megankalu View Post
    Does oxycontin and morphine contain the same ingredients? I ask this because I was given a prescription for morphine for a sciatica problem I've had for years and it's getting worse and I couldn't stop itching and felt just awful when i took the morphine 100 ml by pill form. So my doctor changed me to a new drug last week called oxycontin 80 ml (oxycodone) twice daily and that hasn't made me ill at all, so I'm confused because I did some research on both drugs and i thought they contained the same ingredients, only different companies.

Question #2: My doctor advised me that this drug has to be taken daily, even if i'm not experiencing pain. He says it's a pain management regiment. Is this true?
    Thank you
    Hi megankalu
    If you don't have pain everyday i don't understand why your doctor would put you on oxycontin or morphine,
    the reason I say this is because,my doctor put me on oxycontin and I became so addicted it almost ruined me.the reason you would have to take it everyday is so you wont go into withdrawl on the days you don't take it. That is if you are on it for awhile.
    How often are you in pain? Is it everyday ?
    Let us know how you are doing, Melinda