OxyContin- generic or brand name?
    allfiredup is offline New Member

Default OxyContin- generic or brand name?

Hello,

I'm having surgery on 11/16 to remove two ruptured discs in my cervical spine (anterior cervical discectomy and fusion). I have been taking 10mg Oxycodone every four to five hours for three months for my pain. After surgery, the doctor is going to prescribe OxyContin to take consistently and Oxycodone for breakthrough/intense pain.

The surgeon wrote my most recent Oxycodone prescription, but the three prior ones were done by the original orthapedic surgeon I saw. The first doctor wrote for brand name and I could choose whether I got brand or generic at the pharmacy. I tried both and honestly felt the brand name Percocet gave me more immediate relief. The most recent prescription was written for generic and it was one I'd never had called "Endocet". It works okay most of the time, but I swear it takes an hour to kick in. I've read that the binders in each generic can affect absorption and the FDA actually allows up to a 20% variance in absorption rate for generics.

I'm very concerned about post-op pain as I've never had surgery before. From everything I've read, I think I should insist the surgeon write my prescriptions for brand name.

Has anyone had experience with this or any advice? I'm going in for my pre-op exam on 11/9 and want to have my facts together in case he argues with me about wanting brand name.

Thanks,

Jason

dizzy23 is offline Senior Member

quote:Originally posted by allfiredup

Hello,

I'm having surgery on 11/16 to remove two ruptured discs in my cervical spine (anterior cervical discectomy and fusion). I have been taking 10mg Oxycodone every four to five hours for three months for my pain. After surgery, the doctor is going to prescribe OxyContin to take consistently and Oxycodone for breakthrough/intense pain.

The surgeon wrote my most recent Oxycodone prescription, but the three prior ones were done by the original orthapedic surgeon I saw. The first doctor wrote for brand name and I could choose whether I got brand or generic at the pharmacy. I tried both and honestly felt the brand name Percocet gave me more immediate relief. The most recent prescription was written for generic and it was one I'd never had called "Endocet". It works okay most of the time, but I swear it takes an hour to kick in. I've read that the binders in each generic can affect absorption and the FDA actually allows up to a 20% variance in absorption rate for generics.

I'm very concerned about post-op pain as I've never had surgery before. From everything I've read, I think I should insist the surgeon write my prescriptions for brand name.

Has anyone had experience with this or any advice? I'm going in for my pre-op exam on 11/9 and want to have my facts together in case he argues with me about wanting brand name.

Thanks,

Jason

If you want the brand name I don't see why your doctor would object.Most of the time [I] think brand is better!!

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

I haven't had trouble so far with the generic Oxycontin, but I have with the immediate release. (I just had a post on here about it last week!) When I got my first scrip filled for the Oxy IR, my pharmacy gave me tablets by Ethex of the 5mgs Oxy IR, and they were fine, worked great. Then this month when I got my scrip filled, they gave me capsules from Ethex 5mgs, and they are awful. I seriously think that their quality control is messed up for the capsules. Sometimes I take one, and it works fine, other times it is like I didn't take anything, then there are times that I take one, and I get sick and miserable and if I didn't know better, I would swear I had taken several.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

KOBALTBLUE is offline New Member

Default Oxycontin or oxycodone

OXYCODONE ER IS OXYCONTIN shocking I know but true non the less now Oxycodone fast acting is also the same just fast acting where as the other two are time released the " Oxycontin" is just the brand name which is currently made by Purdue pharma. Generics are pretty much the same the work just as well unless you are abusing them and as of the last quarter of 2010 the OC bran will become OP since Purdue will no longer market the Oxycontin name only its reformulated brand which is dang near impossible for people to misuse. As to ABG or Malenkrodcht generic or the "football" ones they are currently not being made as Purdue still has patent rights on the Oxycontin. Either way at the low dose that you are on shouldn't make that much of a difference one thing people who take these for a long time need to realize they will never be able to recapture the initial buzz they got when they first started taking them no matter how much you go up so if that's why your taking them good luck