OXYCONTIN
    tats is offline New Member

Default OXYCONTIN

if u break a 20 mg ocycontin in half, does it become a 10mg immediate release oxycodone. i know they r not supposed to be broken or chewed but any info or advice would be appreciated. (i normally take percocet 10/325 but ran out)

Stallion is offline Senior Member

There is no safe way to split doses with any continous or extended release medications. Splitting the pill would inactivate part or all of the timerelease, but since the pill is not designed to be split, I don't think that half the pill would necessacarily be half the dose. You may get the most of the dose, or none of it, and either way it would likely be instant. I'm not a chemist, but I don't think that what your proposing would necessarily work or be safe. perhaps someone who works in labs that manufacture these kind of pills would know for sure.

Information = Freedom

partikular64 is offline New Member

Tats,
    You are correct in your assumption of the oxycontin dose. If you take a 20 mg oxycontin and break it in half you have 10 mg of oxycodone. But in doing that you also inactivate the time release action of the pill. So, if you break it in half and take half of it, it is equilavent to taking 10 mg of oxycodone (Percodan, Percocet). This is an acceptable dose of oxycodone. But remember, if you inactivate the time release by breaking it in half, you will also need to take another dose 4 hours later instead of 8 hours later. I don't know why you are asking this but if the oxycontin is not working for you at the dose the doctor is giving to you, I would see the doctor about a dose adjustment. That is safer than breaking a time-released pill in half. I hope that helped, good luck!