Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Oxycodone w/d question
    Businessman1 is offline Member

Default Oxycodone w/d question

I'm on day three of tapering off Oxycodone and have a strange problem.

I'm supposed to be taking 80mg/day (10mg less than I had been taking) but I keep forgetting how many pills I've taken. I'm under 30 and have never been a forgetful person before. It gets to 7pm and I have no idea how much I've taken or how much I have left in my daily allowance. Has anyone else had this problem or am I just imagining this?

I'm only on day three so maybe it's just because I'm not used to counting my mg's.

I doubled my valium dose - could valium effect my memory? I also can't remember how much of that I’ve taken either....

Sorry for the stupid question but I'll probably forget asking it by tomorrow anyway at this rate...

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Certainly valium can affect your memory. Benzos are notorious for that. You've got to watch it with valium especially if you're benzo naive. The fact you can't remember what you've taken is not a good sign.

I wouldn't recommend "doubling up" on your valium. You really shouldn't need to double your valium dose after tapering a few mg offs your oxy the first day. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

I am benzo naive. I've gone from being a benzo virgin to a benzo slut in two weeks....

I've been doubling up because I can't sleep without enough oxy.

I've been keeping a diary of what I’ve been taking today so I don't forget again.

Tapering is horrible. Maybe not as bad as cold turkey but it’s not as gentle as I thought.

Is there some trick I'm missing - should I start cutting down in the morning or evening? I did it evenly yesterday and just felt like I hadn't had enough all day.

Tapering should be done throughout the day if you're taking multiple doses. That should make you feel the least w/d. You could take L-Tyrosine 500mg up to 2000mg during the day along with vitamin B-6 which aids absorption. That's from the Thomas Recipe we use for opiate detox. It will help. The valium is okay, the Thomas Recipe even recommends it for a cold turkey but during a taper but you shouldn't need that much.

You've been talking about drinking with clients and taking all these pills. Are you doing that now? That's insane if you are, I hope not. A long time ago I was a professional in my twenties and entertained clients drinking and taking pills at the same time too, but it's still a dumb thing to do. I hope you're being very careful as that is behavior that could get you in real trouble over the years. That's exactly the way I started out and eventually went crazy with myself. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Not much danger of that at the moment. I've been at home for 3 weeks recovering from my op. It will be a while before I'm out partying again.

My doctor said it was ok for me to have one or two glasses of wine but to avoid binge drinking while taking the oxycodone.

It's not a good mix for me when I'm out anyway becuase it makes me so tired.

xTerm is offline Junior Member

I have withdrawld a few times in my past for my own reasons and there is something that ive used fairly successfully in the past and Ill recommend it to you right now.
    You may be a little skeptical about it at first though, most people usually are when they hear about something that people claim that works and thats not created by researchers.
    On the other hand, you may have heard about it already, yes it is natural, yes it tastes like an old shoe smells but it works and its called KRATOM.
    In case you havent head about it, here is a google link for it..http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...+for+op&aqi=g3

I've found that mixing this with cranberry juice is usually the best way to mask the horrible taste but I can guaranty that after taking a dose, you will feel relief within 30 minutes and up to about 4 hours.
    I know most "herbal" type remedies either dont work or people claim that it works in a "subtle" way, in other words, it doesnt work.
    However, this stuff works.. I wouldnt really call it an herbal remedy in the traditional sense.
    This plant/tree grows up to about 80 feet tall in and around Asia/China, its an alkoloid.. here is a brief description from it from Wiki..

Kratom is currently being researched for its potential use in the treatment of addiction to, and withdrawal from, opiates. While this has been a well known "street" remedy for a long time, its efficacy has recently been taken more seriously as a possible future treatment for issues surrounding opiate abuse. However, the concurrent risks are also not well known. Early research seems to indicate that the alkaloids in Kratom affect the same areas and receptors of the brain as many opiate based compounds, and are effective in replacing opiates during withdrawal. Research continues into these potentially useful alkaloids[1][
    I can also tell you from personal experiences that it is mildly addicting and the w/d's are similar to opiate w/d's but not nearly as severe and it does not last nearly as long.
    I would use it to get past the worst part of the w/d's, which for me is days 2 or 3 through day 5 or 6.
    It will stop diarrhea in its tracks and eliminates that skin crawling off of your body feeling within half an hour.
    Not only does it work on the physical side of w/d's but it also relieves the mental and psychological pains as well.
    If youre interested, there are probably several links within that google link that will direct you to a site you can purchase it at or if you like, I can give you a link to the place I used to buy it at.
    I would recommend that because the place is very reliable, you can pay with paypal and the quality of the product is great.

either way, good luck to ya

Businesman .... Whether or not kratom is beneficial is beside the point here. You don't need kratom to taper off the oxycodone. You're not addicted you have a slight dependency following your surgery.

Just do your taper down and you'll be fine. Kratom is definitely NOT for someone who's been on pain meds for a short time and is just lessening their dose. God bless.

Default response to xterm

Sounds interesting, there's a shop across the street from me that sells that kind of stuff. I'll go and check later on today.

Are you currently going though w/d?

Is 9 months considered short-term? Feels like forever to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Businessman1 View Post
    Is 9 months considered short-term? Feels like forever to me.

Nine months IS considered short term compared to years, or decades of abuse. You don't need kratom that's totally unnecessary. You just need to taper down on the pills and then jump off when you get to the appropriate dose. Kratom is going to the extreme for a 9 month dependency problem.

I'm on my way out the door for church. Be back later. I wouldn't do it, that's all I can tell you. I am very familiar with kratom, you'll just be doing one more thing to keep this wheel spinning doing that. It's your call though suit yourself. I'm just sharing my thoughts. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 05-31-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Businesman .... Whether or not kratom is beneficial is beside the point here. You don't need kratom to taper off the oxycodone. You're not addicted you have a slight dependency following your surgery.

Just do your taper down and you'll be fine. Kratom is definitely NOT for someone who's been on pain meds for a short time and is just lessening their dose. God bless.
    The only person that knows what he needs is him.. if hes taking around 80 mg of oxycodone per day for several months then w/d's will definitely be very un-pleasant.
    I understand that your the BMOF (Big Man On Forum)here but thats no reason to single me out for criticism, Im not trying to step on any toes here, just trying to help out someone in need.
    If you read any of his posts prior to this thread then you'd realize that he has been on them much longer than just before and after surgery.

I wasnt telling him that hes addicted to pain pills and I wasnt telling him that he NEEDS to take Kratom, I was simply giving him information on something that he may or may not have heard about, something that has helped me in the past, its up to him whether he wants to act on that information, not anybody else.

I know that when I was going through some very bad w/d's during thanksgiving of 06, the worst w/d's i have ever had, a friend told me about kratom.
    I was very skeptical at first, as i usually am about "herbal" remedies but he happened to have some and gave me about one gram mixed with grape juice (bleh), within half an hour my sudden, frequent trips to the bathroom ceased, those miserable, alternating hot/cold spells, sweating and chills ended and within two hours I was able to eat for the first time in about 2 days.
    I know that I was very grateful that my friend told me about kratom and even more grateful that he helped me out until the order that I made arrived in the mail.
    Im just passing on the favor that that was passed to me, a little recommendation and some advice on how to act on that recommendation, thats how I build up my lifes karma points lol :P, I honestly dont understand why you have a problem with that.

Businessman: No, im not currently going through w/d's.. but I have several times in the past, more times than I care to count.
    If that "shop" doesnt carry kratom, PM me and Ill give you the website where I used to get mine, if you ordered it tomorrow before noon and choose USPS next day, youll have it in your hand by 3 pm Tuesday.
    Also, if you want more personal experience info on it then just PM me. I get the feeling that somebody doesnt like me on here
    nvm, apparently this site doesn't have a Private Messaging system.
    Last edited by xTerm; 05-31-2009 at 01:09 PM.

DaveSmith is offline Junior Member

I've got a question. How long will one have withdrawel symtoms who's been taking around 100 MG a day of Oxycodone for about 2 yrs. 4 or 5 days severe?????
    Please help

Guys, there's no need to fight on here. We're all on the same side.

One thing I've learned is that when it comes to drugs, doctors and medical procedures, everybody has an opinion. It's ok to disagree. This is not exactly a black and white area...

All we can do is read peoples advice and experience and make our own choices based on what's right for us. I like to know all the facts personally.

Hundreds of people read these posts and maybe something that is not right for me might help someone else.

Xterm, for what it's worth, I didn't read it like Robert was having a go at you, or doesn't like you. I think he just doesn't agree with you on this one point. I think you should feel free to continue posting here as you obviously have some experience that could benefit others.

Lenny, there are tons of threads on here regarding your question. From what I can tell, if you go cold turkey the time varies dramatically between people. People say day 4 is the worst and then it gradually gets better from there.

I'm tapering slowly and am hoping by the end I won't have a painful, long-lasting w/d experience.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LennyMatthews View Post
    I've got a question. How long will one have withdrawel symtoms who's been taking around 100 MG a day of Oxycodone for about 2 yrs. 4 or 5 days severe?????
    Please help
    Hi Lenny
    I tapered off oxycodone and vic's till I was down to two 5mg a day and then I just stopped...after day 4 I was doing good,how ever the person I detoxed with (lilbri) quit at a higher dose and had a few more days of not feeling so well...The best thing to do is just get started and get some days behind you...
    then you will have something to build on let us know how it's going...
    Talk to you later, Melinda

Quote Originally Posted by xTerm View Post
    The only person that knows what he needs is him.. if hes taking around 80 mg of oxycodone per day for several months then w/d's will definitely be very un-pleasant.
    I understand that your the BMOF (Big Man On Forum)here but thats no reason to single me out for criticism, Im not trying to step on any toes here, just trying to help out someone in need.
    If you read any of his posts prior to this thread then you'd realize that he has been on them much longer than just before and after surgery.
    ]

I have nothing personally against you. But when you suggest the wrong information it will be corrected ... very simple. No one is bigger here than anyone else.

You are on a trip because I explained how you almost killed yourself mixing methadone and xanax on another thread when you started blasting how bad methadone is, now you're suggesting freakin kratom to someone who's used percs for a matter of months.

You're confused. You're posting suggestions that are not in others' best interest. Continue to do that and the mistakes will be corrected.

Doesn't matter if you like me or not. You're wrong and that's the bottom line. I won't allow others to be misguided by your errors. God bless.

Please help

Man, i dont have much personal experience with oxycodone, i took it for a few months last year but it was a fairly low dose 5 mg three times a day and I was taking about 80 mg of hydrocodone at the same time.
    However, from what I understand, its about the same (maybe a little worse) than hydro w/d's.
    In any case, taking the amount that youre taking for that amount of time will likely cause you pretty significant discomfort you begin withdrawals, I wouldnt advise quitting cold turkey, unless of course you have no choice.

Its a little different for everyone but you can probably expect the first day to be fairly mild, the second day a little worse than the first and the third day through about the fifth day to be absolute hell.
    The sixth day onward you should start experiencing a gradual improvement in your symptoms and by day ten, if your fortunate, all of your physical symptoms should be more or less gone.
    Somewhere between the 7th and 10th day youll realize that youve been in a sort of "mental fog", youll probably only realize this as its being lifted.
    I know that the difference is very dramatic, one day things will seem quite "hazy," the next day it will be like the sun coming up and burning away the fog.
    Sorry if i sound so melodramatic but thats exactly what ive experienced on several occasions during w/d's.
    Remember though, everyone is different and sometimes even the w/d's can be different.
    On at least a couple of occasions, ive experienced only one to two days of very minor w/d's and moved on like nothing happened but this is very rare and has only happened about 5% of the time.

GL to ya

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    ]

I have nothing personally against you. But when you suggest the wrong information it will be corrected ... very simple. No one is bigger here than anyone else.

You are on a trip because I explained how you almost killed yourself mixing methadone and xanax on another thread when you started blasting how bad methadone is, now you're suggesting freakin kratom to someone who's used percs for a matter of months.

You're confused. You're posting suggestions that are not in others' best interest. Continue to do that and the mistakes will be corrected.

Doesn't matter if you like me or not. You're wrong and that's the bottom line. I won't allow others to be misguided by your errors. God bless.

Lol, wow youre full of yourself arent you? How can a suggestion or an opinion be wrong?
    If you think its even possible, then prove it..

So anyway, because I made a post about the dangers of methadone, youve made it a personal mission to try and discredit me every chance you get?
    Youre acting a bit childish arent you?

Youre the one on the trip dude, I made a suggestion to a guy regarding something that i KNOW will alleviate w/d symptoms and you start acting like some kind of over-protective parent, telling me and him what he does or dont need.
    Hes a grown man, why dont you let him decide what his addiction/dependence status is and what he wants to do to treat his w/d symptoms.
    The main difference between what you said and what i said is you claim that you KNOW what his dependence level is and how it should be handled, even though you didnt even realize how long he had been on the meds at the time of that post.
    All I did was make him aware of a substance thats out there that would offer him some reliefe, I also mention the drawbacks to it and included links for him to read up about it himself. You see the difference there? You make bold claims and even give a diagnoses of his condition, all based on the assumption that hed only been on the meds since surgery, while I provide some info and links for him to do his own research.
    How long have you been a doctor now?

Btw, I welcomed your information regarding methadone and xanax, show me where I got mad or "went on a trip" because you explained something to me that i didnt know?
    I even made a post in another thread, where I quoted statistics that showed tylenol causing more fatalities than methadone, heres the chart.. http://www.injuryboard.com/national-...googleid=28064
    Youre the one on with an inflated ego.. I always keep an open mind and always welcome new information, so stop making assumptions about me until you can prove otherwise.
    Now, you obviously have a lot of knowledge when it comes to addiction and w/d related issues but you dont know everything and theres always room for improvement, so quit harrassing me and try to open your mind a little bit.
    Last edited by xTerm; 05-31-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Okay, I went from 100-120 mg. of Oxy a day and started tapering down for the 6th day now. I am using Vic 7.5 tabs to taper down and am was down to 8 tabs yesterday. I want to only take 6 today or maybe cold turkey. I haven't taken any yet. My question is the hardest thing I'm dealing with is the nausea feeling in the stomach. Does Tabs or alkesetlzer (sp/) help with this. Thanks for all your help. How are you doing Melinda and thanks Robert for your advice I've been reading. God bless

Okay, I went from 100-120 mg. of Oxy a day and started tapering down for the 6th day now. I am using Vic 7.5 tabs to taper down and am was down to 8 tabs yesterday. I want to only take 6 today or maybe cold turkey. I haven't taken any yet. My question is the hardest thing I'm dealing with is the nausea feeling in the stomach. Does Tabs or alkesetlzer (sp/) help with this. Thanks for all your help. How are you doing Melinda and thanks Robert for your advice I've been reading. God bless

Lenny ... you're doing good with the vics, your heart is in the right place. But my experience is that if you just go ahead and do a cold turkey you'll be done with the worst of this in less than a week. If you continue tapering in a week you'll probably still be taking 4-5 pills a day and struggling.

I would try to cold turkey using the Thomas Recipe for opiate w/d. Here is the link, it's worked for lots of people here. Check it out. You can taper down a little more if you like but when you jump off entirely this will help. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...wal-35169.html
    Last edited by Robert_325; 06-01-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Robert, I'm sure you're right with the cold turkey thing. Problem is i don't have any valium so one suggested Valerian Root. Will that do and should I take that during the day? Should I wait till day 4 to start taking L-Tyrosine or can i start taking that now. I just bought the above products along with some Immodium and Tums.

I still use valerian root today and recommend it all the time. It's not strong like valium but it will help. You can take 2-3 for anxiety during the day, then take 3-4 at night to help with sleep. Again it won't knock you out, it's just meant to help.

You don't have to wait until day four to start the L-Tyrosine 500mg up to 2000mg per day. You can start it now, but you should also take vitamin B-6 as that will help with absorption. Imodium AD is great for diarrhea and will make you feel better. Also drink lots of gatorade, it's full of electrolytes and helps with your overall well-being.

Exercise is the best medicine there is for opiate detox. Even if you take a good walk it will help. Hope that helps. God bless.

Thanks Robert...I'm gonna give it a go with the supplements I have. I don't have any B-6 but the L-Tyrosine Caps I have says it has B-6 in it. I also bought some mutivitamen/mineral tablets (found out later I should have got the gels) along with the Valerian Root. Thanks for your help, really! Please pray for me.
    Thanks

Okay, I"m struggling here. I can see I'm going to have to try to get the doctor to give me some valium to try and get off this oxycodone. I didn't want to have to try another prescription drug but perhaps if I'm a little wiser I'll heed to the amounts I need to take. That is my question. How much valium should you start out with and how do you start tapering off that? If that doesn't work I'm considering the antathesia method cause I don't have the time for a long rehab somewhere. From the information I can gather the treatments have come a long way as far as safety. Any advice on the valium or quick detox anathesia would sure be welcome.
    Thanks so much

xterm, what is the website you ordered kratom from. I'm sure hoping this works cause I want to get off this oxycodone sooooooo bad.
    Thanks

Can you give me a little history on how you tapered off the oxy? If you were taking 16-20 a day, what would you recommend to taper off since you were successful with it.
    Thanks Melinda,

Anonymous Guest

Hi Lenny

I'm sorry I have been missing your post...
    I will keep my eye out for you now...

I was addicted to Oxycontin so I quit them and started taking perc's to taper off, and vic's what ever I could get my hands on...
    Anyway I was taking about 20 ten mg a day...I was sick for a bit till I got stable on the percs...

But then every time I would get to a point where I was not to sick from dropping I would cut out another pill...

I tried to change the way I thought about the pills...When I did take them I would tell myself I hated then, and that they were the devil in a pill form...

I did a lot of mind tricks..I would tell myself I can wait for 10 minutes before I take another pill and when that ten minutes went by i would say oh I can wait another 10 minutes...after awhile i was waiting an hour before i took pills...anyway I could find not to take a pill or just wait a few minutes before I did helped me a lot...

Are you still at 6 a day or did you drop more or go back up...
    Let us know how it's going...

Talk to you soon, Melinda

I was taking 20 5 mg a day of oxy. I quit them completely and 6 days ago started 7.5 vicodin. I started out with 10 day one, 11 on day 2, 8 on day 3, 7 on day 4, 7 on day 5.
    It's been an ordeal mainly feeling so nauseated and hitting the bathroom a number of times. Last night i only got 2 hours sleep which made today pretty bad. I went back up to 8 vicodin. I'm wondering if I'm trying to taper off too fast or if i should taper off using oxy. I've got to beat this thing.

xterm, what is the website you ordered kratom from. I'm sure hoping this works cause I want to get off this oxycodone sooooooo bad.
    Thanks

Here you go buddy..sorry I didnt respond earlier, been working a lot and todays actually the first visit here in a couple of days, you got lucky that I was bored tonight lol..

http://fourwindsbotanicals.com/index.../Page1016.html

Now when i used to take it, the best blend I found was the "Ultimate Kratom Blend" about halfway down the page.
    Trust me, this stuff works but be careful with it, take it in moderation and as little as needed to get desired results.

btw, if you ordered it tomorrow before noon eastern time and chose USPS next day service, you would receive it by Friday afternoon..

good luck man, i feel for ya.

Anonymous Guest

HI Lenny
    OH man I know what you are going thru...I had know rule on the taper I just wanted it so bad...I was going to make it if it killed me,witch it wouldent.LOL...
    I would stay at 8 a day on the vic's stay there till you have no runs to the bathroom...and imodium as much as you need...it saved me...I had to work thru this so I was in pretty sorry shape...
    you are so close don't give up...you need to keep telling yourself I'm going to win...that is half of the battle...
    After a couple days see if you can drop another pill or do the ten min rule...
    Just humor me and try it. you will be surprised at how proud of yourself you will be for just waiting ten minutes...

I think the vic's are easer to get off of than the Perc's...
    get on here and post it will give you the strength you will need to get thru this...
    I was on here all the time telling Robert I made it one hour...I will post again in an hour...Then I would tell him again...there was many times I talk with him late into the night ...Im sure I drove him crazy...but he put up with me...LOL...
    Hang with us your going to make it...
    Talk to you soon, Melinda

Thanks XTerm for your compassion in this matter also. I am going to order some and then see if I can use that instead of the vicodin I've been using to get off oxy. I sure don't want to get hooked on vicodin (crave) like i was oxy. How much should I take and how often with in reason.
    thanks for your help....I"m getting there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast