bigcor256 is offline New Member

Default Oxycodone Vs. Hydrocodone

which is the stronger one ???

5mg oxycodone or 5mg hydrocodone??

or are they the exact same thing???

thanks for any help!

buddy1331 is offline New Member

Default oxycodone vs hydrocodone

ok oxycodone is stronger its like 5mg of oxycodone is = to 7.5 of hydrocodone they have the about the same effects. but i would say if you have a stronge stomuck oxycodone would be better but if you are a light weight person and a weak stomuck hydrocodone will be better. I have been a pain management pateint since i was 14. I was perscribed percocet 5/325 which is oxycodone. Befor i could see a doctor after i was injured my grandmother gave me loratab 5s and vicoden 5s to help me those are hydrocodone. They worked but they had lots of draw backs compared to oxycodone. They took the edge off for atlest 2hrs and you can only take them every 4-6 hrs. the percocet was much better i would feel comfortable for atlest 2 hrs and the edge off for 2hrs after that. It wasnt long befor it was not working as well as it was. a year later i found myself on percocet 10. then i told my doctor that im taking 1 after the other because im always in pain and he realized i was misdiagnoised. I had Chornic pain. So i started a 24hour pill called avinza. started with 30mg and in 3 months needed 160mg but it didnt help. it was determind that my liver was absorbing the morphine stoping it from entering the blood stream. So the only next steps were Duragesic fentanyl patchs or Oxycontin. My doctor said the patches were more effective and i would need break threw pills less often. he was right. at this point i had been on pain meds for 2 years not i stayed on the patch for 2 more years i went from 25micro gram patch to a 50micro gram patch in those 2 years. I have to say the patch was the best and constant pain releif with no pain. But you have to shave your chest where u put it on and by now i was getting hairy and it became painful to take the patches off so i began oxycontin last november. The problem i found with the oxycontin is it does not releve pain for 12hrs your lucky to get 6-8. Instead of 2 a day i take 3. In this way i am getting 24 hr pain releif but the patch is still the best. It to had its drawbacks. It would last 2 days and your 3rd day you would need short acting medication to make up for the short fall of the patch. Because of this my doctor gave me enough patchs so i can change them every2 days instead of every 3. Because he said taking alot of short acting pain meds in a short time will make you aquire a mental addiction. which is worse then just physical addiction.

Aedain is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigcor256 View Post
    which is the stronger one ???

5mg oxycodone or 5mg hydrocodone??

or are they the exact same thing???

thanks for any help!
    There is a database page on http://www.bachflowers.org.uk which may help you. I found it yesterday and it led me to a world wide database containing detailed information on virtually every drug in the world and also herbal preparations!

davidwco is offline New Member

Wink reply

Quote Originally Posted by buddy1331 View Post
    ok oxycodone is stronger its like 5mg of oxycodone is = to 7.5 of hydrocodone they have the about the same effects. but i would say if you have a stronge stomuck oxycodone would be better but if you are a light weight person and a weak stomuck hydrocodone will be better. I have been a pain management pateint since i was 14. I was perscribed percocet 5/325 which is oxycodone. Befor i could see a doctor after i was injured my grandmother gave me loratab 5s and vicoden 5s to help me those are hydrocodone. They worked but they had lots of draw backs compared to oxycodone. They took the edge off for atlest 2hrs and you can only take them every 4-6 hrs. the percocet was much better i would feel comfortable for atlest 2 hrs and the edge off for 2hrs after that. It wasnt long befor it was not working as well as it was. a year later i found myself on percocet 10. then i told my doctor that im taking 1 after the other because im always in pain and he realized i was misdiagnoised. I had Chornic pain. So i started a 24hour pill called avinza. started with 30mg and in 3 months needed 160mg but it didnt help. it was determind that my liver was absorbing the morphine stoping it from entering the blood stream. So the only next steps were Duragesic fentanyl patchs or Oxycontin. My doctor said the patches were more effective and i would need break threw pills less often. he was right. at this point i had been on pain meds for 2 years not i stayed on the patch for 2 more years i went from 25micro gram patch to a 50micro gram patch in those 2 years. I have to say the patch was the best and constant pain releif with no pain. But you have to shave your chest where u put it on and by now i was getting hairy and it became painful to take the patches off so i began oxycontin last november. The problem i found with the oxycontin is it does not releve pain for 12hrs your lucky to get 6-8. Instead of 2 a day i take 3. In this way i am getting 24 hr pain releif but the patch is still the best. It to had its drawbacks. It would last 2 days and your 3rd day you would need short acting medication to make up for the short fall of the patch. Because of this my doctor gave me enough patchs so i can change them every2 days instead of every 3. Because he said taking alot of short acting pain meds in a short time will make you aquire a mental addiction. which is worse then just physical addiction.
    Good'day buddy,

i really though i was reading about myself until you got to the patches. I did not go to well on them however i was on 160 mg of OxyContin before i started the patches. Is hydrocodone the same as the Oxy, i mean if i changed from one to the other would i get withdrawals are they the same type of morphine.

Regards and thank you

davidwcodavidc@visforvictor.com

adiecook is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by davidwco View Post
    Good'day buddy,

i really though i was reading about myself until you got to the patches. I did not go to well on them however i was on 160 mg of OxyContin before i started the patches. Is hydrocodone the same as the Oxy, i mean if i changed from one to the other would i get withdrawals are they the same type of morphine.

Regards and thank you

hi just read what you were saying about the fentanyl patches. I tried then for about a month and they made me really sick. Found out that i cant take morphine looking at the alternatives. wondering if oxy or hydro will be any better

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Good'day buddy,

Regards and thank you

You would not go through w/d switching from one of these meds to the other. You would have to take a little higher dose of hydrocodone if coming off percocets however as oxycodone is stronger than hydrocodone.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

klopper22 is offline Member

That link (http://www.bachflowers.org.uk/) only got me to a trout fishing website.

klopper ... That post you're replying to is a year and a half old. Lucky there is anything there at all honestly. People post web links on the forum that come and go all the time. Considering that this post was the only thing the above member ever posted I doubt you'll have any luck. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Mindy88 is offline New Member

Lightbulb patch idea

Good'day buddy,

i really though i was reading about myself until you got to the patches. I did not go to0 well on them however i was on 160 mg of OxyContin before i started the patches. Is hydrocodone the same as the Oxy, i mean if i changed from one to the other would i get withdrawals are they the same type of morphine.

Regards and thank you

Posting moved
    Last edited by Mindy88; 11-10-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: responded to wrong posting

Mindy88 is offline New Member

Lightbulb Patch use idea

Quote Originally Posted by buddy1331 View Post

I realize the above posting is very old, but I assume pain patches are still in use and I hope my idea is useful to someone
    I am especially intrigued by the idea as my husband's back surgery keeps getting postponed d/t politics & red tape and he is taking a lot of oxycontin.
    For hairy people, it might be worth the initial discomfort to get th patch area
    waxed, which can last several weeks or have electrolysis which should be permanent.
    Good luck to all you who suffer. Pain sucks

ruby2oozdy is offline New Member

Default Tramadol?

Have any of you with serious pain used Tramadol? I just discovered it on the Web, haven't tried it.

Anonymous Guest

Good'day buddy,

Regards and thank you

Hydrocodone and Oxycodone are not the same, strength wise. A 5mg Percocet (Oxycodone) is about as equivilant to 10mg of Hydrocodone (Vicodin). And NEITHER of these is a form of Morphine, which is a lot stronger.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-12-2009 at 06:42 AM.
    johnsiple likes this.

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

Actually a Percocet 7.5 is equal to a hydrocodone 10, and oxycodone is stronger then morphine.

Anonymous Guest

Default To Catsmeow

I don't know where you are getting your information, but it is NOT correct.

Morphine is definately stonger than Oxycodone.

Oxycodone is stronger than Hydrocodone, which is stronger than Codeine and Darvocet (Propoxyphene).
    sandibartkus likes this.

Psychmajor is offline Member

the higher the Schedual (oxy being a 2nd and hydro being a 4 i think...) the stronger they tend to be (hense the higher addictive qualities of the drugs) the patches i dont really know how well they work since when i worked in a pharmacy only 1 person ever got them and he was on morphine sulfate at the same time (crazy right?!)......... By the way placebo effect is = to Morphine in dealing with physical pain. Doctors should lie to patients and tell them its a high cost, strong med that doesnt give euphoria... would cut down on perscription dependance/addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Psychmajor View Post
    the higher the Schedual (oxy being a 2nd and hydro being a 4 i think...) the stronger they tend to be (hense the higher addictive qualities of the drugs) the patches i dont really know how well they work since when i worked in a pharmacy only 1 person ever got them and he was on morphine sulfate at the same time (crazy right?!)......... By the way placebo effect is = to Morphine in dealing with physical pain. Doctors should lie to patients and tell them its a high cost, strong med that doesnt give euphoria... would cut down on perscription dependance/addiction

Oxycodone is a schedule II narcotic and Hydrocodone is a schedule III. The lower scheduled drugs are the strongest not the highest scheduled. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 11-18-2009 at 11:19 PM.
    sandibartkus likes this.

hah wow thanks i didnt even notice that i put higher.

kersey777 is offline New Member

Without getting down to the cellular level...Individuals respond differently when it comes to hydro or oxy forms.Only hydro works for me.I read an article in jama,years ago about this. A tylenol3 just does not work. My entire family is the same.

thats any medication though kersey, we are assuming that both drugs work as intended. from experiance oxy is a lot stronger, as well as darvacet vs hydro

VaFisher is offline New Member

Good'day buddy,

Regards and thank you

I used Duragesic fentanyl patches, if you put a warm wash rag on the patch for about to minutes it will help release more of the drug into your system to help with painful flares

To Catsmeow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know where you are getting your information, but it is NOT correct.

Morphine is definately stonger than Oxycodone.

You must be joking right?
    Oxycodone is 1.5-2 times stronger then morphine (not IV/IM), why do you think Oxycontin is the preferred drug over MS Contin?
    My info comes from several sources, all undisputed.

snowgoer68 is offline Banned

I definitely feel oxycodone is stronger. Works better for my pain. i wonder if it works better for nerve pain. And Morphine on some conversion charts is at 30 mg = to 20 mg of oxy. I saw another conversion chart wghere they were both = at 30 mg

Pain comes from nerves, I don't understand.

My charts say 4.5-6mgs of oxy = 10mgs of morphine (not IV/IM), regardless, MS is always a step down from Oxy.

Lilleypad is offline New Member

Tramadol has its place in the heirarchy of pain meds. But it is near the bottom of the list (ie. weaker. It did not help my wife at all with her original problems, and she severe headaches fromt he tramadol. I, howver, have born spurs and arthritis in my hip, and the tramadol decreases the pain enough to allow me to function during the day. Tramadol certainly is not as strong as hydrocodone.

Hydrocodone is 6 times stronger then Tramadol and Tram is 1/10 the strength of morphine.

jujdred is offline New Member

Sorry this is so long, but I tire of all the replies from people that know not their facts but rather state what THEY feel is right. It don't matter what we think but rather it is what it is.
    Hope this can help clear up at least some misconceptions.

Morphine vs Hydromorphone vs Oxycodone vs the Fentanyl Patch
    w/side notes of others

The spectrum of available opioids has increased. Why do we need alternative opioids?

o Concept of individual variability in opioid response
    - relative intensity of analgesic and toxic effects
    - spectrum of toxicities experienced
    varies with different opioids within the same individual and between different individuals on the same opioid

May be due to:
    •Genetically - determined expression of opiate receptor subtypes
    •Incomplete cross-tolerance 2nd to differential receptor subtype affinity or efficacy
    • Opioid metabolite accumulation
    •Pain mechanism - specific opioid response
    Recent proliferation of reports -->improvement in analgesia-toxicity balance with opioid switch.

Morphine: (immediate release - Morphine HP, Statex, MOS, MS-IR, Morphitec; slow release - MS Contin, M-Eslon, MOS-SR, Oramorph SR, Kadian)
    • preferred routes: oral, subcutaneous, rectal
    •the standard/benchmark opioid, usual first choice
    10x more potent mg for mg than codeine
    •parenteral maximum concentration: 50 mg/ml

Hydromorphone: (immediate release - Dilaudid, PMS-Hydromorphone; slow release - Hydromorph Contin)
    • preferred routes: oral subcutaneous, rectal
    approx. 5x more potent mg for mg than morphine
    •parenteral maximum concentration: 100 mg/ml
    •the usual alternative to morphine

Oxycodone: (immediate release - Supeudol; slow release - OxyContin)
    •preferred routes: oral subcutaneous, rectal
    •originally introduced in combination with ASA (Percodan, Oxycodan, Endodan) or Acetaminophen (Percocet, Oxycocet, Endocet, Roxicet) for moderate pain.
    •hallucinations reported in studies.
    *approx. 1.5x more potent mg for mg than morphine (controversial/due to multitudes of factors including, but not limited to:
    morphine introduced to a healthy 25 year old male with no/miniscule experience with opioids loses 45-75% potency factors during liver metabolism.
    Morphine also acts as a "depressant" on the system whereas Oxycodone and Hydrocodone act as "stimulants", both situations being main categories for misunderstandings and false pre-tenses when giving information to patients or colleagues as to which opiate is "better".
    Ultimately, the facts remain that Oxycodone is an opioid analgesic medication synthesized from opium-derived thebaine.
    Thebaine (paramorphine) is an opiate alkaloid. A minor constituent of opium, thebaine is chemically similar to both morphine and codeine, but has stimulatory rather than depressant effects, causing convulsions similar to strychnine poisoning at higher doses.[3] Thebaine is not used therapeutically, but can be converted industrially into a variety of compounds including oxycodone, oxymorphone, nalbuphine, naloxone, naltrexone, buprenorphine and etorphine.)

•parenteral maximum concentration: 50-60 mg/ml

Fentanyl: (transdermal - Duragesic; parenteral - Sublimaze)
    •high lipid solubility
    50-100x as potent as morphine
    •transdermal patch convenient in patients with stable pain control. Caution advised in uncontrolled pain syndromes (not suitable for rapid titration)
    • possible in constipation and sedation
    •GI withdrawal syndrome described with switch to patch
    •conversion ratio uncertain (use published conversion table)
    •no convenient form for rescue doses
    •subcutaneous infusions pump needed for continuous infusion high cost of drug

Consider switching drug when opioid toxicity develops (ESPECIALLY IF ONE IS USING DEMEROL AS DEMEROLS METABOLITE. Pethidine (Demerol) may be more likely to be abused than other prescription opioids, perhaps because of its rapid onset of action. When compared with oxycodone, hydromorphone, and placebo, pethidine was consistently associated with more euphoria, difficulty concentrating, confusion, and impaired psychomotor and cognitive performance when administered to healthy volunteers. The especially severe side effects unique to pethidine among opioids — serotonin syndrome, seizures, delirium, dysphoria, tremor — are primarily or entirely due to the action of its metabolite, norpethidine.); accumulating with regular administration, or in renal failure. Norpethidine is toxic and has convulsant and hallucinogenic effects. The toxic effects mediated by the metabolites cannot be countered with opioid receptor antagonists such as naloxone or naltrexone and are probably primarily due to norpethidine's anticholinergic activity probably due to its structural similarity to atropine though its pharmacology has not been thoroughly explored. The neurotoxicity of pethidine's metabolites is a unique feature of pethidine compared to other opioids.)
    eg: sedation, delirium, hallucinations, myoclonus. calculate an equianalgesic daily dose of the new opioid, reduce this by 20-30% to account for incomplete cross tolerance between opioids, divide into multiple daily doses at regular intervals (q4h for immediate release opioids). Provide approx. 10% of the total daily dose available as a rescue dose.

-Personally I have been taking LEGAL prescribed Pain medication daily since 2004. I've been prescribed every dose of just about every available pain reliever sold in the US. For pure unadulterated and legitimate PAIN RELIEF, Fentanyl Patches and/or some Actiq lozenges are the undisputed top dog for continuous relief but every couple of days breakthrough pain can kick in and something strong, fast acting, and relatively short lived is mandatory. I personally find 2x Norco 10/325 (10mg hydrocodone) with 100mg Tramadol to be optimal in effectiveness. Oxycodone may be stronger, but for me the Euphoric effect is long time coming, short lasting, and the withdrawals of Oxy are FAR worse than hydro. Occasionally I pick up a gram or so of herion just to shock my system because when you continuously take these short duration opiod and opiod-like pain meds tolerance is inevitable so you must get into the groove of switching out on occasion because none of the meds on earth last forever.

And a note on drug Scheduling: which really has nothing to do with potency but rather the legitimacy of its construants:

2. Drug schedules
    The Misuse of Drugs Regulations 1985, made under the Act, divide the controlled drugs up in a different way to take account of the needs of medical practice. They define the classes of persons who are authorised to supply and possess controlled drugs while acting in their professional capacities and lay down the conditions under which these activities may be carried out. In the Regulations drugs are divided into 5 schedules each governing such activities as import, export, production, supply, possession, prescribing, and record keeping which apply to them. Details of the schedules are as follows:

Schedule 1, the most restricted drugs, (eg, LSD and cannabis), can only be supplied or possessed for research or other special purposes by people licensed by the Home Office; these drugs are not available for normal medical uses and cannot be prescribed by doctors who do not have a licence.

All the other drugs are available for medicinal use. Most are Prescription Only, so they can only be obtained if prescribed by a doctor and supplied by a pharmacy (eg, strong analgesics like morphine, stimulants like amphetamines or cocaine, tranquillisers and most sedatives). Some very dilute, non-injectable preparations of controlled drugs - because they are so unlikely to be misused - can be bought over the counter without a prescription, but only from a pharmacy (eg, some cough medicines and anti-diarrhoea mixtures containing opiates). Medicines available in this way can also legally be possessed by anyone. The same also applies to benzodiazepine tranquillisers and hypnotics (except temazepam and flunitrazepam) even though these drugs can only be legally obtained on prescription.

Schedule 2 includes such drugs as diamorphine (>>>>>>), morphine, pethidine, cocaine. These are subject to the full controlled drug requirements relating to prescriptions, safe custody, the need to keep records, etc.

Schedule 3 includes the barbitrates (except secobarbital, now in schedule 2), buprenorphine, pentazocine, the tranquillisers nitrazepam and flunitrazepam. These are subject to the special prescription requirements, but not, for the most part, to the safe custody requirements, nor to the need to keep registers.

Schedule 4 includes benzodiazepines (other than flunitrazepam and tamazepam which are now in schedule 3) and anabolic steroids. Controlled drug prescription requirements do not apply and Schedule 4 Controlled Drugs are not subject to the safe custody requirements.

Schedule 5 includes those preparations which because of their strength, are exempt from virtually all Controlled Drug requirements other than retention of invoices for 2 years.

Additional regulations (the Misuse of Drugs (Supply to Addicts) Regulations 1997) effectively restrict the ability to prescribe >>>>>>, dipipanone and cocaine for the treatment of addiction to a few specially licensed doctors. Solvents are not classified under the Act.

ruby2oozdy is offline New Member

Thumbs up Morphine vs Hydromorphone vs Oxycodone vs the Fentanyl Patch

jujdred:

I totally agree that facts are better than personal accounts, since everyone is different. Your facts were very educational. Thanks for posting them.

Just one problem. Can you provide a bibliography? Just as you are concerned about fact vs. opinion, I'm concerned about sources. I may be asking a lot. You may have culled all the above info from 507 different sources, but some documentation would be nice.

Thank you.

buckndaodds is offline New Member

Hello to all,

My first post as I just joined your community today. That was the result of finally finding a site that wasn't packed in sewage with regards to painkillers. No, I don't want to crush and shoot, or do I give a rats fanny what a Dilaudid sells for on the street.

I am a sixty year old male with severe back problems. Have had for years now. I don't want to go under the knife as they don't offer what I consider a decent percentage chance of coming out any better than when I go in.

I have been using Norco's for pain relief for the past six years. I"m at a point where there are no longer effective in a safe dose due to the Tylenol. It takes 30mg of the Hydrocodone to give me a period of relief and I am forced to decide which days I live with the pain and those I don't.

I asked my Doctor for a "breakthrough" pain reliever this last visit and "we" decided to try Dilaudid. He wrote a script for 2mg x 2 a day. My intention was to use whatever was necessary on those days I needed to. Unfortunately, I have found no relief with them. 8mg was not as effective as the 30mg of Hydrocodone.
    I assume that is just me, as others derive great benefit for the Dilaudid.

Upon my next visit to the Doctor I want to be informed and prepared to discuss other options with him. What I am looking for is more pain relief with less Tylenol. To bad they don't market anything better than the 10/325's, as I find the Hydrocodone works well for me.

I have been considering both Percodan, with aspirin or Oxycontin without any filler. As this board seems to have members that have been down this road before, I thought perhaps I could get some decent information on what works for you.

If Hydrocodone works for me and Dilaudid does not, is it because one is synthetic and the other isn't? And if Hydrocodone works for me, will Percodan or Oxycontin be more apt to?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Buck
    Last edited by buckndaodds; 07-16-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Breakeron is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by buckndaodds View Post
    Hello to all,

My first post as I just joined your community today. That was the result of finally finding a site that wasn't packed in sewage with regards to painkillers. No, I don't want to crush and shoot, or do I give a rats fanny what a Dilaudid sells for on the street.

I am a sixty year old male with severe back problems. Have had for years now. I don't want to go under the knife as they don't offer what I consider a decent percentage chance of coming out any better than when I go in.

I have been using Norco's for pain relief for the past six years. I"m at a point where there are no longer effective in a safe dose due to the Tylenol. It takes 30mg of the Hydrocodone to give me a period of relief and I am forced to decide which days I live with the pain and those I don't.

I asked my Doctor for a "breakthrough" pain reliever this last visit and "we" decided to try Dilaudid. He wrote a script for 2mg x 2 a day. My intention was to use whatever was necessary on those days I needed to. Unfortunately, I have found no relief with them. 8mg was not as effective as the 30mg of Hydrocodone.
    I assume that is just me, as others derive great benefit for the Dilaudid.

Upon my next visit to the Doctor I want to be informed and prepared to discuss other options with him. What I am looking for is more pain relief with less Tylenol. To bad they don't market anything better than the 10/325's, as I find the Hydrocodone works well for me.

I have been considering both Percodan, with aspirin or Oxycontin without any filler. As this board seems to have members that have been down this road before, I thought perhaps I could get some decent information on what works for you.

If Hydrocodone works for me and Dilaudid does not, is it because one is synthetic and the other isn't? And if Hydrocodone works for me, will Percodan or Oxycontin be more apt to?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Buck
    What you need is a continuous dose medication to raise your pain threshold/tolerance. I was on MS-Cotin, and for you they may work. But for REAL pain relief I cannot highly recommend OxyCotin IR and its ER versions. Image taking a opioid stronger than hydrocodone without the tylenol, and acetaminophen is pretty much useless for certain pains anyway plus its hard on your liver.

If I were you I would get MS-Cotin/OxyCotin twice a day (dosage for Oxy ranges 40/80/160), and OxyCotin IR at 10mg up to 5 times a day as needed for pain.

buckndaodds is offline New Member

Breakeron,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have been leaning towards the Oxycontin figuring that it would be much stronger than the Hydrocodone.

Buck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast