Oxycodone availability
    24johnathan24 is offline New Member

Default Oxycodone availability

i live in albuquerque new mexico and i was just informed that the oxycontin (time release oxycodone) and all generic oxycontin pills will be taken off the market. instead those who are or have been perscribed oxycontin will now be perscribed MS contin. this is time released morphine instead of oxycodone... Does anyone know if this is true or have any more knowledge on the subject?

GDIX is offline New Member

actually, its partially true. No they will not be taking oxycodone off of the market. Which is good for people who prefer oxycodone over oxymorphone / morphine. But the DEA is enforcing a new law that all oxycodone IR needs to have a tampa-proof or "abuse proof" form. In other words, controlled release.

The Amide CORP. which distributes the blue oxy IR 30mgs that are scored A-215 and the green oxy IR 15mgs that are scored A-214 have stopped producing these pills because of the illegal wrong-doings they cause in the US. There is only about a 2 month supply of them left in the US.

Therefore, Oxycodone Immediate release Tablets will no longer be easy to crush and snort/sniff. Melt down and inject. Putting it plain and simple..you will no longer be able to abuse these pills.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Says Who? What's your source? I have read nothing related to this, and know of no tamper proof Oxy IR in the pipeline. If this were true, the news would be wide spread like a wild fire.

It's not true.

What makes you think that my information is false? I've been to numerous pain management doctors to where their pharmacies charge double the price for certain Oxycodone IR 30mgs and 15mgs because there is only a now 1-2 month supply of them. Now most people with perscriptions are getting either the generic form or a controlled release tab.

This is because the Drug Enforcement Agency breaking so many doors down with no longer >>>>>> or crack/cocaine, but oxycodone/oxycontin. And another reason is So many people enrolling in rehabilitation centers and dieing over the abuse of oxycodone. I read it about a month ago on some type of other drug related form, which as soon as i find it ill show you the proof. A friend of mine with a perscription of Oxycodone 30mg informed me of the process. Yes it is true i didnt think so either, but i know it is true because he used to get the 30's with the A-215 imprinted and now he has to fill his perscription with the generic form made by the pharmecutical company called "Mallinkcrodt".

In the next couple of months itll only prove my point..No im not trying to make this a dispute but only trying to clarify, thanks.

Because this would be big news, and there's nothing, I repeat nothing being reported about this. I read drug news everyday, checked the DEA site. To withdraw Oxy IR, would also mean to withdraw Percocet too, since it's an IR. Drug companies have a lot of power, it's not going to happen, it'll take an act of congress. Millions of people are prescribed these meds, the rumor is almost funny.
    It's more the FDA's business then the DEA's anyhow.

What does the generic form have to do with anything? Since when can't a CR be tampered with? Purdue Frederick is making a killing right now.

Even if it's a statewide, New Mexico policy, I haven't heard anything about it.

Show me proof now, they're not going to pull the rug out from underneath everybody in "the next couple of months".

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

Hey Cat.....
    Yes Oxycontin can be tamper with...... but.. I know in my facility that we can not get diluded except in generic form.... that form is somehow base with something not to allow it to melt like the non generic form. When I was hitting dope yrs ago I would just drop a few gtts of water on the pill and melt it, it became clear liquid. I attempted this a yr or so ago with generic diludid and it was not something you could fire. Iwouldnt even try it with full addiction running.. I dont believe that Oxy ir will be removed from the market but they can make it so it not able to be fired. I am just guessing at this.... I have not attempted to melt any ir's or diludid since that last try though.

I do hope they do something.

sister

Quote Originally Posted by Cats Meow View Post
    Because this would be big news, and there's nothing, I repeat nothing being reported about this. I read drug news everyday, checked the DEA site. To withdraw Oxy IR, would also mean to withdraw Percocet too, since it's an IR. Drug companies have a lot of power, it's not going to happen, it'll take an act of congress. Millions of people are prescribed these meds, the rumor is almost funny.
    It's more the FDA's business then the DEA's anyhow.

What does the generic form have to do with anything? Since when can't a CR be tampered with? Purdue Frederick is making a killing right now.

Even if it's a statewide, New Mexico policy, I haven't heard anything about it.

Show me proof now, they're not going to pull the rug out from underneath everybody in "the next couple of months".

The Amide company is what is pulling these pills due to a lawsuit.. Oxycodone IR in general is not going to be pulled all together. Even then if the 30's are getting pulled why does all Percocet automatically have to get pulled? that doesn't make much sense. It was just that one dose of 30 mg. Do you think your a Doctor? Do you work for a drug company? Are you this conceited to assume you know everything that has ever happened with a prescription pain killer? Why are you so proud and arrogant about this subject? I'm on this board to help people and inform them about what they do and the consequences of what they do.. you make it seem like a competition. Only one drug company is pulling the 30mg oxycodones off of the market. Remember when they pulled the ABG's oxycontins off the market? Same concept same scenario. Go to your local Pharmacy and ask about this I'm sure they will back up my claim.

I don't need to explain myself to you and after this I will not do it again. You aren't the only person in this world who has a little knowledge about this subject.. Stop acting as if you are. You come off really offensive and its unnecessary stop doing it.

You're the one giving out false information. Watson's Oxy ER was pulled due to patent infringement, it's not the "same concept/scenario".

I will not take responsibility for your hurt feelings, and your pathetic attempt to discredit me only made me laugh, you need to try harder.

You're the one giving out false information. Watson's Oxy ER was pulled due to patent infringement, it's not the "same concept/scenario".

I will not take responsibility for your hurt feelings, and your pathetic attempt to discredit me only made me laugh, you need to try harder.

that was not false information.. like you stated a brand of OXY ER was pulled. I was giving an example of a drug being pulled since you think its impossible for that to take place. How are my feelings hurt? I claimed you over reacted and you try to make the situation a competition. Your a typical E-bully and the worst kind. What do you do for a living? Does it have anything to do with these kinds of drugs? Do you claim to be a doctor on the internet or something? If you aren't in the medical field and you know this type of information you should be ashamed of yourself. If this is a contest of who is the bigger junkie here you go.. you win. Like I said my intent on this forum is to be a help to people in need and give them the best advice for their scenario. Not to compete with some jackass who feels as though his turf has been tromped on so hes going to do everything in his power to try to discredit me or make me look like an idiot. I don't care what you think or how you feel about what I say. I know everything I say is factual and I do not want to argue it with you anymore. I'm going to ignore you and go on about my business find some one else to E- Battle with.

So yes to anticipate your next response I'll "concede defeat" or "give up" and you are obviously superior to me. You can go back to making yourself feel important by being the dominant poster on a drug forum

I have done no such thing, I'm just passing along correct information, I have made no accusations towards you, but you have to me, and I will not stoop to your level of insults, nor provide you with my resume'.
    My contributions to this site speaks for itself.

Almost nothing that you have said is factual, and that is the problem with your posts, but you're welcome to post as much misinformation as you wish.

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

I did check at work what we are receiving at work as far as oxy's The pass week they have change to non generic. I spoke to our rep and of course we get the cheapest of any type drug and they change every three month from whom they get it from. They are going to put some type of base in all oxy ir's to make it more difficult to tamper with. Prob. just like that did the diludid. He is not sure if they are on the market as of yet. It is, according to him in progress to do something the oxycontin's to make it more difficult to tamper with and he will get back with me on what exactly is going on. He is not sure that it has happen as of yet but they gave the pharms. a "Alert" on oxycontins and increase abuse use. He said something like "how to spot illegal and questionble rx" reporting over written or something like that. He is going to let me know and as soon I get something in writing I will post it for you.
    This forum is so important to me..... Its good we can vent and get angry at each other. We are just humans who want to help everyone. Thank you both for posting.
    Sister

tkelly is offline New Member

Default Thank you, despite the argument

I have been searching for a while for an explanation for the events of the last few months. I am struggling to pay for my perscriptions, as I do not have insurance. With the removal of Generic OxyContin, my monthly cost of relief jumped to $900. That does not even include the doctors appt. I have switched fully to the 30mg IR. This of course, just in time for the more potent, cheap ones being pulled from shelves (scored 215's). I used to slpit the 215's in half, the new thicker blue ones are not powerful enough to do that. The new generic 30mg is a convenience because of it's lower cost than OxyER, but it is way too fast acting. I find that I spend 30 minutes too high to function and then the pain quickly returns. With the Oxycontin, I was at a good level for hours and could function witrh a 70% pain reduction.

This series of missteps could not come at a worse economic time. The down side to Extended Release Oxy is the short term tolerance that can build up quickly over a few weeks if I do not reduce my dose, but that is easily reversed - if I am aware of it.

I will be watching the pharma situation closely, I need to get back to normal...(As normal as life with Cronic Pain can be). I would suggest that anyone interested should set up news alerts through Google.

norcal is offline New Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Businessman1 is offline Member

I just got oxycotin for the first time last week. I'd being using IR before. My prescription was expensive in comparison.

I don't really like it. It takes over an hour to kick in then I feel like I've had too much for 2 hours then not nearly enough. I've gone back to the IR whenever I feel pain. Also, I don't like that the oxycotin gives me drugs when I'm asleep which seems unnecessary.

I read on here that Opana ER is much better at consistent dosing. Maybe your doc could change you over. I'm not sure if there is a generic version but might be worth asking....

norcal is offline New Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Businessman1 is offline Member

For some reason I went to get my Oxycotin prescription this week and there was no drug stores in my area that had it. I live in Manhattan, not a remote Island. It took me two days to find somewhere that was able to fill it. This is not easy as they will not tell you over the phone if they have it in stock...

Is this shortage all related to this "legal issue"?

No, it's related to Ethex brand recall due to oversized tablets which caused a nationwide shortage, Ethex had about half of the market share, and practically all of the 30mgs, so doctors had to write X number of smaller doses of Oxy IR and OC to take it's place which helped contribute to even more shortages.

Here we are a year later since this purported "news" broke and as you can see it isn't true, just like I said it wasn't.

To answer your other question, no there's no generic Opana or Opana ER yet, Endo still has a patent on it, but I think it would be funny if Purdue started producing it, because Endo infringed on their Oxycontin patent, turnabout is fair play.

anotheraddict is offline Member

Just wanted to say no issues filling in south central PA today. 30 mg generic.
    1 is too many, and 1000 is never enough

Freed from my own personal hell since 03/24/2009

fabmommy is offline New Member

Talking Availability of oxycontin

I'm not sure where you all get your information, but I live in Edgewood, NM and my husband is prescribed both oxycodone IR and oxycodone ER(oxycontin) every month. Our pharmacy gives him the option of either generic or brand name for both of these medications. So if these are in fact "taken off the market", our pharmacy is out of the loop!

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

I have done no such thing, I'm just passing along correct information, I have made no accusations towards you, but you have to me, and I will not stoop to your level of insults, nor provide you with my resume'.
    My contributions to this site speaks for itself.

Almost nothing that you have said is factual, and that is the problem with your posts, but you're welcome to post as much misinformation as you wish.
    hello Cats meow!! I read in the Los Angeles Times business section about five years ago that a tamper proof Oxycontin pill was in the works. I dont know if that included the IR but maybe with all the deaths that have occurred inthe last few years that they are working on a tamper proof IR pill too.

sailnfl is offline New Member

Default can the feds take the pills off the market

They can do about anything they want. Remember 1980? They wanted Quaaludes off the market. I was on them for years and my doc told me as of June 83 (not sure of the year). He told me that they were so much better for older people than Barbs but because they were a party drug epidemic, they were to be a c1 like >>>>>>. I took at least two a day for about five years. I was scared and went in a rehab (phyc hospital). They gave me 712 (1/2 strength) for about 15 days then other drugs and after 28 days I left the hospital without any problems. After a few years, I was on more addicting benzo's and Placidyl.
    I now face the oc and ir addiction and am scared just thinking of what the detox is going to be like. I go to pain mang.in Tampa and there are so many doc writing its out of control. When I see a 22-year-old girl jumping off a Ninja to go see her doc to get 240 30mg ir's and 90 40mg contins I wonder what the future is going to be like. It was on the news yesterday that FL is talking about taking the Oxyies off the market instead of setting up the doc shopping method because they do not have the funds to put it into effect. They said Fl has 4-6 deaths a DAY in Fl, methadone was included also, It would be much cheaper and they are saying the same thing they did about the Quaalude thing "there is no medical use” and there are safer alternatives. We all know there are people that do benefit from these drugs. They are not chewing up the 80's and snorting the ir's though.
    sailnfl
    Last edited by ddcmod; 10-12-2010 at 06:34 PM.

phipps88fan is offline New Member

Hi, I take Opana ER... 80mgs twice a day. Without insurance it cost $3313 a month. It does help but is very expensive. There is no generic version for it. I still have to take Fentora for breakthrough pain. I don't think anyone wants to switch from Oxy to Opana for the cost. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Businessman1 View Post
    I just got oxycotin for the first time last week. I'd being using IR before. My prescription was expensive in comparison.

I don't really like it. It takes over an hour to kick in then I feel like I've had too much for 2 hours then not nearly enough. I've gone back to the IR whenever I feel pain. Also, I don't like that the oxycotin gives me drugs when I'm asleep which seems unnecessary.

I read on here that Opana ER is much better at consistent dosing. Maybe your doc could change you over. I'm not sure if there is a generic version but might be worth asking....