Out of these 5 ointments,which is best for eczema?
    ryanhayn is offline New Member

Default Out of these 5 ointments,which is best for eczema?

Over the past two years i've been prescribed 6 different creams/ointments for my eczema: Hydrocortisone Cream USP 1%, Hydrocortisone Valerate Cream 0.2%, Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment USP 0.1%, Cyclocort (Amcinonide) Ointment 0.1%, Absorbase (Eucerin equiv.), and Elidel. All but Elidel and Absorbase seem to lighten my skin (bad), so i prefer to use Elidel....but Elidel is not as strong as the other 4 creams. I've been taking Elidel for the past 3 months and my rash doesn't seem to be getting better....but i have to put it on everyday just so i look normal....am i immune or what? it doesn't even seem to work anymore. Could you guys tell me which is best for reducing inflammation and redness...or recommend something else for my eczema? I really hate the thinning and lightening of my skin when i use the steroid creams.

wifestyles is offline Junior Member

Hello there- I'm nowhere near an eczema expert, but I've dealt with a pretty severe case with my 3 year old since she was born, and the only thing that came close to making her skin look normal is the Elidel. And that was giving her a bath, putting the cream on while she was still damp so it would absorb good, then putting socks and pants on her (Eczema was worse below her knees) so it would soak into her skin pretty good before I let air get to her skin. Usually I would put another lotion on her skin, like Vaseline Advanced Healing, in combination with the Elidel. The Adv. Healing is pretty darned good I think, for an over the counter lotion. That was just my routine, and its seems to work for her.

I have heard, and I don't know how safe/smart it is to do this, that you can put Preparation H on inflamed and red skin...not sure if it would irritate it, being thats its eczema and everything seems to irriate it. A few people have used it on puffy eyes...

I wanted to ask you too, do you ever get just small white spots, like patchy dry skin? I've noticed with my daughter, especially where she is exposed to the sun, that she'll looked as spotted as she can be...

I'm glad you posted, I've never thought about posting on eczema before...if you've got any ideas for me, lemme have it!

Wifestyles

ryanhayn is offline New Member

thanks for the info.
    i don't get spots. but i do get small patches of dry/flaky white skin every so often. i don't think it's from the sun because i used to be on a submarine and we'd be at sea without sun for weeks at a time and even then i'd get the white flaky skin....so i don't know what it is.

403forbidden is offline New Member

Sorry for bumping such an old topic, but this was one of the top on my search list so I hope what I have to add may help others.

I actually found this because I was googling to find whether or not Preparation H would work on eczema. From what I have found, it's not such a good idea as it shuts off blood flow to the area so it may not heal.

I have had eczema since I was a baby and I am now just about to turn 25. My eczema has always come in the form of little red bumps that generally cluster (my brother's comes in the form of a giant dry cracked area). Every few years I get eczema pretty bad and always get a nasty bout right at the beginning of the summer when my skin first hits the sun.

After having tried many products and methods, I've found some things that are helpful...although nothing cures. *sigh*

Cortizone (OTC ointment) usually does a good job of controlling the outbreak area, but that's all.

Sarna makes a lotion specific for eczema. It keeps the itching to a minimum and IT DOESNT SMELL. Dermarest is alright, but it smells like medicine and melted plastic for at least an hour after you apply it. Sarna was pretty expensive, but it's lasted me quite a while and works very well at keeping the itching at bay (unfortunately not curing).

My doctor recommended that I use bacitracin on the area to heal the skin. This is in Neosporin (and other general antibiotic ointments), but she did not recommend neosporin because it has neomycin in it which can irritate the skin further with this issue. (and the doctor who gave me this information was the doctor who figured out and found a treatment for a rare skin disease I have which stumped several other doctors for a few years--so I trust her knowledge)

All of these things combined still take several weeks to get back to normal skin, but it's the best luck I've had for any major outburst that requires more than my Sarna lotion.

Good luck. I'm fighting with you.