otc sleep aids
    tuvix is offline New Member

Default otc sleep aids

hi i need sleeping pills i cant get more than an hour of sleep at a time and i dont want to visit the doctor but thats not my problem. my question is: im afraid i will buy the wrong kind and wont wake up if there is an emergency. i have a young child. what sleep aids should i avoid that will keep me from being able to be woken? thanx

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Go see your doctor,there is nothing otc that will work well.....Dave

Director is offline New Member

Dave's in Canada, so I'm not sure if they have the same OTC meds there, as we do in the US. I now use Ambien and Ambien CR, but before I got those from my doc, I use to buy OTC Diphenhydromine, 50 mg. Not all stores carry it in the generic form, but this is the same ingrediant they use in Benedryl, and several sleep aids, like Nytol, etc. They usually only use 25 mg in them. I use to take up to 100 mg at bedtime, but you could get by with less, I'm sure.

EasyMeds is offline Banned

Tuvix

If you are worried about not being able to be woken when needed because of your small child, you might look at some of the natural sleep aids like melitonin (sp) or valerian root.

They help enduce sleep, but don't put you into such a deep sleep like prescription and OTC sleep aids that it is difficult for you to be woken should your child cry in the night or some other reason you need to be able to be waken.

There is one mild prescripton sleep aid, Rozerem that I have found is helpful with sleep but doesn't put you into such a deep sleep like Ambian or AmbianCR where it could take an explosion to wake you .

Hope this helps.

Paul
    w w w . E a s y M e d s 2 0 0 5 . N E T

Paul