Opana- will I have withdrawals?
    ThisSux is offline New Member

Default Opana- will I have withdrawals?

I am desperately trying to get off of Oxycontin, but the withdrawals are so bad! I snort pills. I have been out of oxys for 2 days, but I have had some norcos and ran out of them this morning, not enough to keep withdrawals away, just enough to take the edge off slightly. I just found some opanas and snorted 20mg. I feel great, but will this make all the progress that I have made disappear? Will I have to go through another 3-4 days of horrible symptoms before I am on the other side? Also I have heard that opanas have worse withdrawals than oxys, will taking them twice, I would like a break again tomorrow, cause the worse withdrawals? I want so badly to quit it just seems too hard. I don't know what to do. It's ruining my life.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

You are making no progress whatsoever. You're using every day. : ( That is not the way to stop drugs. If you expect to do this without suffering w/d it isn't happening unless you go with subutex/suboxone.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

For one thing quit snorting and start swallowing your pills whole, its like "waa, waa, I can't wait a whole 30 minutes for them to take effect, I need immediate gratification now!".

What do you mean "you don't know what to do"? You don't want to do it, you're choosing to ruin your life, the solution is simple, STOP USING. Get help if you need it, Idk what else to tell you, you have to want to quit, just do it and get it over with.

ThisSux is offline New Member

So there is no value in weaning? The only way is cold turkey? Also with snorting, isn't that bypassing the extend release which is better for quitting? It is easy when you are not facing days of being horribly sick to say just tough it out.

I have 3 children, one with autism that I have to care for whether I am sick or not, which is hard as heck on my best day. Trying to do it shaking and puking is near impossible.

Thanks for the compassion.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by ThisSux View Post
    So there is no value in weaning? The only way is cold turkey? Also with snorting, isn't that bypassing the extend release which is better for quitting? It is easy when you are not facing days of being horribly sick to say just tough it out.

I have 3 children, one with autism that I have to care for whether I am sick or not, which is hard as heck on my best day. Trying to do it shaking and puking is near impossible.

Has nothing to do with compassion. And sure you can wean. But snorting isn't weaning, that's acting like an addict. Snorting doesn't do anything to help you.

You've got subutex available just like I mentioned and there's no w/d problems. Don't be so defensive. Here is the link. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

OBG
    OBG is offline New Member

Default Opana

Opana won't give u withdraw. (unless u stop all together) I too just started opana. Going from 2 OC40's day to 2 40mg Opana. (of course i have 4 10mg percacettes Per day for breakthrough pain.) & i haven't had any problems. But i do hear the withdraw from Opsna is worse than OC's. I dunno, i'll worry about that when the time comes. Suboxin will do the trick if i ever need to get off everything. Personaly, i like the opana more than OC's.
    Ps. STOP SNORTING THEM U IDIOT! (no offence) but it's not very smart.

dazeemae is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBG View Post
    Opana won't give u withdraw. (unless u stop all together) I too just started opana. Going from 2 OC40's day to 2 40mg Opana. (of course i have 4 10mg percacettes Per day for breakthrough pain.) & i haven't had any problems. But i do hear the withdraw from Opsna is worse than OC's. I dunno, i'll worry about that when the time comes. Suboxin will do the trick if i ever need to get off everything. Personaly, i like the opana more than OC's.
    Ps. STOP SNORTING THEM U IDIOT! (no offence) but it's not very smart.
    I beg to differ Opana ER gives you horrific withdrawals. I took the meds exactly as prescribed for about 18 months before finally having surgery to replace 2 discs in my neck and fuse c4 through c7,along with the removal of bone spurs. The surgery was a cake walk compared to the withdrawal I am experiencing with the Opana. And I only went up to 2 10mg per day, they offered to up to 2 20mg per day and I said no because I knew I would eventually come off the pills. They weaned me off by having me take the following:

5 days - 2 5mg pills (1am & 1 pm)
    5 days - 1 5mg pill (am only)
    then stop all together

I am in hell!!!!!!!!! I have about a 3 week supply of the 10 mgs in my medicine cabinet but I refuse to start over. When I called the doctors office they actually had the nerve to tell me I was weaning off way too fast which is why I am having such bad withdrawal symptoms. I did exactly as they prescribed. I believe I should have been weaned off over at least a 30 day period.

You need to go to a doctor, that is educated in weaning people off of these very powerful drugs. Don't try to do it alone! I believe I am physically dependent on the drug, I never felt a high from it. But I also never abused it or crushed and snorted it. If I had the mental addiction as well, I could never have gotten this far. As I said I have about a 3 weeks supply of the 10 mg in my cabinet. Get help, don't do it alone, you have no idea what the withdrawals are like, at least I didn't. I have not been able to function for almost 2 weeks now. Sleep an hour here or there, I have lost 8 pounds in 1 week, freezing all the time, severe stomach cramps and diarrhea, feet and legs hurt so bad I just walk in circles. Not to mention the personality changes, angry one minute, agitated very easily, then I'm crying, my head is in a fog, I have difficulty reading and retaining anything, Just can't concentrate. (It's taken me about 45 min to write this)

I hope you will get help, you deserve to live a full life that is drug free!

Opee is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThisSux View Post

Hi, ThisSux-

Yes. Yes, it does. I am 21 days clean from all opiates and I've one heckuva run (feel free to browse Opee's New Thread for Success or Vicodin/Percocet Withdrawl @ page 18 or so for MY sordid past). I used to eat a handful of Norco's (like 8-10) and top it off with a 20mg Opana up the nose. I gotta tell you, I loved it at the time, but I gave myself so many sinus infections because of it. That green, flakey coating just wasn't made to come off - for a reason. It never did much for me orally, however, but it does for some. Personally, I haven't seen an Opana in over a year and that's OK with me.

I COMPLETELY agree with you when it's real easy to say "tough it out" and "get it over with" when the person telling you isn't a user, has never been a user and I'm pretty sure will never be a user. I'm all for "tough love" when required, but I agree some of the responses lacked a bit of compassion. But, you must understand that our mentor, Robert (who is a fantastic guy and has given so muuch of his time to help people like US) is working with >>>>>> addicts and SO many people he just doesn't have the time unless you're really serious and I couldn't respect that more.

That being said, yeah, you really need to stop snorting your pills. I know, Man, I lived it for years. I think "waa waa I can't wait 30 minutes" is a bit much and rather rude just for the sake of being rude, but I have no interest in starting anything with that individual (or even acknowledging that individual) so I'll leave it at that.

So, you can do this, you will find many, many supportive people here. But, in all fairness and you HAVE to look at both sides, it's tough for folks to rally behind you when you are using. Opana W/D is awful and I've W/D thru every opiate I know of (except Oxycontin because they were so hard to get). I went thru it for the last time and today is 3 weeks off opiates. I've never felt better. Yes, I have cravings and want them badly, but I'm not caving. I've seen the damage these pills do to my life, and seen the positives when they are not in my life.

In my opinion, anyone who says drugs aren't great is either lying or hasn't done them. What is NOT so great, is ALL the other bad things that go with them, and believe me, the cons far outweigh the pros. I'm a straight-up guy and I tell it like it is (or how I see it at least). You haven't done anything most of us on here haven't done (or are still doing), so don't beat yourself up too much, OK?. I've done lot's of things I'm ashamed of, every user on this site has and they're not being truthful if they say different. There are different degrees, but every user, at one time or another, compromises his/her values to get what they want. When you truly make up your mind, please post and you will be amazed at the support. My thread Opee's New Thread for Success is pretty widely read and you feel free to post on there ANY old time you want. I'll be here for you and talk you down if you want it.

Again, don't get too bent out of shape, OK? Robert truly is a wonderful person, but he's working with too many people that are quitting and serious and he doesn't have time for someone that isn't ready to go full blown, you know? Look inside yourself, figure out who/where you want to be and drop us a line. We'll be lining up to help, at least I will, and giving more support than you may want!

You can do this. If I can, you can. You just gotta want it. Took me @ 10 (8-10) tries until I got it. There just comes a point where you're sick of being sick. My latest W/D lasted 2 weeks and was HORRIBLE. Gets worse every time. And, yes, you pretty much restart the clock when you use. Oh, and your tolerence really won't go down much, either. Opiates are awesome in the beginning, but as soon as soon as you hit that wall (and it comes up out of nowhere) you crash into it hard and all of the sudden it isn't fun and you are on maintenance just taking them to feel normal. Eff that, Man.

Stay in touch please, OK?

Opee

StoneFacedKilla is offline New Member

well, i can say this

for the last 10 (yes 10) years, ive taken 4 80mg oxys a day and 4 10mg IR oxys a day (for pain management, not to get high)

when Oxycontin wet to the new version (OP's) they didnt work. my dr switched me over to 4 40mg opanas a day and 4 10mg opana ir a day. much stronger medication IMHO. i found myself taking less and less. and all of the sudden it dawned on me i hadnt had a pain pill in several days other than ibuprophen (i take anyway). i had wanted to quit taking all that stuff for YEARS, but never actually could get past the BS of the withdrawls. i took them even if i didnt HAVE the pain because once you start you cant just "stop" without consequenses. i was thinking about it one day and it dawned on me that likely at some "subconscious" level i didnt want to take them anymore and involuntarily weened myself off of them. i did get myself a california 215 (medical marijuana ) for insomnia (a real big withdrawl symptom for opiates) but I had the insomnia BEFORE i got hurt.i havent taken an opana (or anything else) in WEEKS now and i feel great!.....still get a bit tired once in awhile during the day but thats improving (i think thats because its winter here and i cant get out and do anything due to rain and snowm i take a 1/2 snooze each day around noon). no heavy physical withdrawl with the exception of 1 day of flulike symptoms (still dont know if it was withdrawl or the actual flu) and a couple of days of diarrhea. no pain, no achy feeling ( ive ran out of OC and opana before and got the full brunt of it in one day) , no nothing. ive still got 44 oxycontin 80s ( the original OC version, not the new version OP), 70 opana 40mg ER and 120 10mg opana IR sitting in my medicine cabinet, and have absolutely no desire to take them (dont want to flush them, there to expensive!)

my point is this. i think (and my dr who is a very prominant pain managment dr in the medical community said the same thing) that once you get to the point that you really WANT to quit, you will kind of automatically start trying to ween yourself off of them until your no longer having any craving for them. thats the way it happened with me.

if youd like to chat more about anything ive talked about here, email me directly at tvjunky AT mail DOT com
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-25-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Catrina is offline Senior Member

Dear This Sux,

Well, you've had quite a range of responses to your original post, haven't you? I just read the entire thread and one of the many things that struck me was, someone said that detoxing is tough but suck it up! Someone else (maybe you?) said that's easy to say for someone who has never had to do it. While that's certainly true, although there are some on this forum who are not addicts, they are few and far between. I'm a recovering addict after actively using for many, many years. I did c/t more times that I care to remember but that never in the past stopped me from relapsing. It's a sad reality. So, now you have my very brief history and here's my advice:

Withdrawing and getting clean, almost no matter by which means you choose is pretty darn awful...but if you want it, suck it up. Sorry that's pretty blunt but there's no other way to the other side. There are ways that make it somewhat easier. If you have what it takes to wean, that's one easier option and one that I could never do...if I had them, I'd use them and it sounds like you do that too. There is the sub route but that would depend upon how bad your habit is and how long you have been using. If you do decide that route, don't take your doctor's instructions, instead find Robert here on the forum and he'll get you through it in short order before they become a much bigger problem. Mind you, I never used subs. I had never heard of them until I joined this forum while in the throes of c/t and they scared me enough and by that time I was at least 1/2 thru my detox and so decided they weren't an option for me.

Post here often and be honest. It's the only way you'll get genuine help and there are so many good people here that will help with absolutely nothing to gain for themselves except that they, like me, are paying it forward for the help that they received when they needed it.

Step 1: Make up your mind that you are fed up with being an active addict
    Step 2: Choose the method you are going to use to get clean
    Step 3. DO IT!!! and once you start, don't turn back. You can't take just 1 "to take the edge off". It doesn't work that way. Either you're using or you're not! At least that part of it is simple.

Good luck. I hope you make the right decision. I know that you have challenges in your life and opiates make it easier to deal with them. It also seems unimaginable to go thru c/t and manage your life at the same time. Sweetie, we all have challenges maybe some of us without problems to your extent but then again some of us with even worse. It can be done. Read the threads, new and old alike and you'll find sucess stories all over the place. It is possible!!! Take Step 1 and move on from there!

Peace,

Cat

Catrina is offline Senior Member

Well...sorry all. I just noticed that this thread is ancient history. Oh well. I really should pay attention to that! How the he** do these old threads that don't go anywhere manage to make front page news again? LOL

Cat

devilzrejkt is offline New Member

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-25-2011 at 01:55 PM.