Is Nyquil dangerous if taken every day?
    harleygirldi is offline New Member

Unhappy Is Nyquil dangerous if taken every day?

Hello,
    What are the long term side effects of Nyquil if it's taken 5 days a week? My husband is a truck driver and works wacky hours. He's home every night, but usually has to go to bed at 3pm, 4pm or 5pm. He can't just fall asleep. So for the past 10 years, 5 days a week, he's taken 2 ounces of Nyquil to help him fall asleep. Is this dangerous? Any other ideas on what he could/should take? Thank you.

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

Default NyQuil

After 10 years of nightly use, if there was a problem he would surly know about it by now!
    There's really nothing in it that would cause problems with continued use, but it is loaded with Acetaminophen, 500mg per 15ml, so as long as he doesn't take more then 120ml in one day (6 doses) there's no problem with liver tox, 4000mgs of acetaminophen is the daily max before it becomes toxic to the liver, so be careful if he takes other Tylenol products that same day. It's also loaded with alcohol, so I'm sure he knows as a truck driver he shouldn't take it while he's driving, I would think 2oz would be enough to give him a BAC of over .02% which would earn him a DWAI, but you said he only takes it at night.

If this works for him, then good, why change to something else? He could try other OTC products such as Diphenhydramine (Sominex, Nytol), or Doxylamine (Unisom), or
    something natural like Valerian, or a shot of Jack Daniels, but if NyQuil works that's fine, but that stuff tastes nasty (especially the green kind)!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Cats Meow View Post
    After 10 years of nightly use, if there was a problem he would surly know about it by now!
    There's really nothing in it that would cause problems with continued use, but it is loaded with Acetaminophen, 500mg per 15ml, so as long as he doesn't take more then 120ml in one day (6 doses) there's no problem with liver tox, 4000mgs of acetaminophen is the daily max before it becomes toxic to the liver, so be careful if he takes other Tylenol products that same day. It's also loaded with alcohol, so I'm sure he knows as a truck driver he shouldn't take it while he's driving, I would think 2oz would be enough to give him a BAC of over .02% which would earn him a DWAI, but you said he only takes it at night.

If this works for him, then good, why change to something else? He could try other OTC products such as Diphenhydramine (Sominex, Nytol), or Doxylamine (Unisom), or
    something natural like Valerian, or a shot of Jack Daniels, but if NyQuil works that's fine, but that stuff tastes nasty (especially the green kind)!

Cats ..... Do you remember the song from the late 70s .. "The Nyquil Junkie". Song about always being able to tell a Nyquil junkie cause his tongue was always green. This thread made me think of that song for the first time in years. Now I can't get it out of my head.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

LOL, no I never head that one, I'm surprised because I like parody songs, if it was C&W I definitely wouldn't know it, I don't do country.

harleygirldi is offline New Member

Thank you for your response! He only takes one dose per day and he wakes up totally wide awake. I know if I take a dose I'm drowsy for a day and a half! He never takes it while driving. He only uses it to put him to sleep. Thanks again!

msw
    msw is offline New Member

Question Is Nyquil safe, really?

Well I'm glad that your husband hasn't attained any ill affects from Nyquil, but I really wonder about this stuff. First of all, 2 oz is twice the recommended dose on the bottle. I started taking one at night. I was drained in the morning, but it did the trick. One dose doesn't work anymore, so I'm up to two doses in order to get sleep. And now, without it, I cannot sleep at all. I don't like being dependent upon something that seems to work like your typical addictive drug. Also, I'm reading this book called "Iced" about methamphetamine and it says that amphetamines are created from pseudoephedrine in cold medication. This worries me about the seeming addictiveness of Nyquil. I don't know enough about what's in it. I know people use the acetaminophen in it like acid when they take the whole bottle. I wonder if the dextromethorphan has ANYTHING to do with dexetrin, which is another dangerous one. I worry about taking it regularly, especially when the effect of it isn't as potent now.