Neurontin &" drug test
    carter307 is offline New Member

Cool Neurontin &" drug test

What does "Excreted unchanged in urine. The t ½ is 5 to 7 h." mean? I am taking Neurontin, and taking a drug test, will it show in the test? If so how long before test should I stop taking it so it is out of my system? I found the quaoted statement above, at (http://www.drugs.com/ppa/gabapentin.html), but I do not know what it means.. Please help

Quote Originally Posted by carter307 View Post
    What does "Excreted unchanged in urine. The t ½ is 5 to 7 h." mean? I am taking Neurontin, and taking a drug test, will it show in the test? If so how long before test should I stop taking it so it is out of my system? I found the quaoted statement above, at (http://www.drugs.com/ppa/gabapentin.html), but I do not know what it means.. Please help
    Excreted unchanged in the urine: This means the drug is not metabolized (aka converted) into something else and is removed (excreted) from the body through urination.

T 1/2 is 5 to 7 h: This means 50% (half-life) of the drug will be removed from your body in 5 to 7 hours.

As for drug test, it will most likely not show up but I suppose depends what they are testing for. If doctor prescribed it and you are taking it correct way you can always write note or tell the technician before the test is done saying that you are on it so its not a surprise if it shows up in the test. The drug would be out of your body after about 3-5 days at the most.
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B

carter307 is offline New Member

Wink

Thx for the information. I am applying to a police department I have a perscription for the medication, that was given to me after a minor back surgery. Do you know if this will prevent them from hiring? I have been taking it for 3 years. I will tell them if it will not prevent them from hiring. If it will then I will stop taking the med and deal with minor pain and numbness.. What do you think?

No problem. Obviously I do not know the "ins and outs" of police screening or hiring whatsoever especially regarding medication. I can tell you neurontin is not anymore near any of the "hardcore" drugs the pharmacy has at its disposal, it is not even a controlled substance of any level much less a schedulle II (which is the oxycontins, fentanyl, etc.). That is why I would assume it would not even come up in a drug test that I'm aware of, but there are a million different kinds of drug tests and different things they test for so I never say never. My instinct is that they will not prevent hiring you because of taking neurontin, but obviously I don't know 100%. I would either ask them beforehand and see what they say and not disclose what you are taking until you hear their response, OR take the drug test and tell them upfront you are taking it BEFORE the test OR not take it prior to the test so it comes up negative (but if they do random drug tests later then it could be an issue). FINALLY, I would recommend asking what the drug test is testing for over the phone so it is anonymous OR maybe even better to ask about the drug specifically over the phone anonymously and if that is a problem for hiring and then you will know without giving yourself away and be able to think about what you want to do. Also, hopefully you dont have any side effects like dizziness (which is one of most common) because that could obviously impair you working. Lemme know how it goes!
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B

brezabeck is offline New Member

Default Neurontin

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question, BUT I was wondering how long you have been taking neurontin? I took it for 1 year for chronic nerve leg pain and the drug has rotted out all my teeth. Since 2002 till now I have spent literally $60K on my teeth to fix them. Each year they rot out again and I have them fixed and am in debt up to my you know what! Anyway, I was wondering if you have noticed anything like that?

ccs714 is offline New Member

I would like to clarify the half life. There is a half life of the parent drug, but then the parent drug has longer acting metabolites that have half lives. Some metabolites are active and some are not. It's usually the predominate metabolite that makes the drug work.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmstud(ent) View Post
    Excreted unchanged in the urine: This means the drug is not metabolized (aka converted) into something else and is removed (excreted) from the body through urination.

T 1/2 is 5 to 7 h: This means 50% (half-life) of the drug will be removed from your body in 5 to 7 hours.

As for drug test, it will most likely not show up but I suppose depends what they are testing for. If doctor prescribed it and you are taking it correct way you can always write note or tell the technician before the test is done saying that you are on it so its not a surprise if it shows up in the test. The drug would be out of your body after about 3-5 days at the most.