narcotic refills
    LOTSAPOP is offline Member

Default narcotic refills

I take vicoprophen for 4 yrs now.It is loosing its effect a little. He gives me enough for 3 months. My question is what is the stongest narc. he can give so i can stay on my every 3 month visit now. If i went to like percocet can he write out refills on them or do i have to go back every month. Thanks
    jon11

tired2 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by LOTSAPOP View Post
    I take vicoprophen for 4 yrs now.It is loosing its effect a little. He gives me enough for 3 months. My question is what is the stongest narc. he can give so i can stay on my every 3 month visit now. If i went to like percocet can he write out refills on them or do i have to go back every month. Thanks
    You have built up a tolerance and no matter what stronger opiate you move on to you will continue to develope a tolerance and continue to need more....as far as what your doctor will order and how often he will want to see you that would be the doctors call.
    Just to live life free as a bird

Default tired2

i guess my real question was if he gave me percocet which i believe is in a differrant class than vicoprofen is he aloud to give refills. I thought when you got to a certian class of narcotics that they couldn't write out refills
    jon11

Anonymous Guest

you would need to see the doctor once a month for perc's they are not in the same class as vic's

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Lotsapop, to answer your question Hydrocodone 10mg because it's a schedule 3, the next step up is morphine and oxy and they're schedule 2, and schedule 2's can't be refilled. It doesn't always require an appt, many offices will allow you to drop by and pick up your new script (for a refill), I think docs are only required by law to see you once every 6 months when on CII's. You might try explaining you can't afford, or don't want monthly follow up appts, your tolerance, and the need for a bump.

Anonymous Guest

i guess my real question was if he gave me percocet which i believe is in a differrant class than vicoprofen is he aloud to give refills. I thought when you got to a certian class of narcotics that they couldn't write out refills
    Vicoprofen is Hydrocodone with Ibuprofen. It is the same strength as Vicodin (Hydrocodone and Acetiminophen -Tylenol)

Oxycodone is stronger than them.

Anything with Hydrocodone is a Schedulde III Narcotic, meaning it can be written, faxed, or called into a Pharmacy with up to 5 refills.

Oxycodone (Percocet) is a Schedule II Narcotic, meaning it can ONLY be accepted at a pharmacy in the form of an Original written prescription and NO REFILLS are EVER allowed.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-14-2009 at 08:29 PM.

Default Refills

US SAID ON A SCHUEDULE 111 NARCOTIC U CAN GET UP TO 5 REFILLS THE PAIN DR I WENT TO SAID IT IS AGIANST THE LAW TO WRITE REFILLS ON A SCHEDULE 111 IF U are right can any md write it out he said the same with xanax to
    jon11

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

US SAID ON A SCHUEDULE 111 NARCOTIC U CAN GET UP TO 5 REFILLS THE PAIN DR I WENT TO SAID IT IS AGIANST THE LAW TO WRITE REFILLS ON A SCHEDULE 111 IF U are right can any md write it out he said the same with xanax to
    Xanax (any benzodiazepine) is a CIV controlled substance. Five refills are allowed and the Rx expires after 6 months. Call-ins are common.

On CIII controlled substances (hydrocodone) 5 refills are allowed and the prescription expires after 6 months. Call-ins are very common.

On CII substances (morphine, oxycodone, MS-contin, oxycontin) state's laws are in command. Some states will allow a faxed or mailed prescription, so the patient doesn't have to actually visit a doctor every single month. Refills are not allowed and, if not filled right away, the prescription expires after 30 days. Call-ins are only allowed in an emergency. The doctor must use an emergency override protocol and then provide the pharmacy with a hard-copy of the script within 72 hours or must be reported to the DEA. Doctors rarely do this.

I work in a pharmacy and I know these statements to be true, with the caveat that my state's laws may differ from yours.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 05-17-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    Peter

What concerns me most is that you've been taking ibuprofen for 4 years.

Personal story...taking 2400mg ibuprofen for 9 months after a leg injury, I had a major internal bleeding event, requiring hospitalization. After discontinuance of the ibuprofen, the bleeding stopped.

While on ibuprofen, watch for signs of GI bleeding: upper abdominal pain, black coffee ground-like vomit, black or overly bloody stools (abnormal from hemorrhoids).

If you notice any of those, and you have NOT been taking Pepto-Bismol or drinking Hawaiian Punch all day, go to the ER.
    Peter

Nonyuh is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRabbit2 View Post
    On CII substances (morphine, oxycodone, MS-contin, oxycontin) state's laws are in command. Some states will allow a faxed or mailed prescription, so the patient doesn't have to actually visit a doctor every single month. Refills are not allowed and, if not filled right away, the prescription expires after 30 days. Call-ins are only allowed in an emergency. The doctor must use an emergency override protocol and then provide the pharmacy with a hard-copy of the script within 72 hours or must be reported to the DEA. Doctors rarely do this.

I work in a pharmacy and I know these statements to be true, with the caveat that my state's laws may differ from yours.
    Peter is right about the state laws. For example in California our state laws are much different. In California CII rx's are good 6 months from the date they are written. California does not allow fax or mailed rx's (at least at retail) or on phone. Must be hand written. Although to avoid seeing the doctor every month sometimes MD's will write multiple rx's and then just post date the rx. The ONLY time a CII is allowed to by called in is a hospice and then within 72 hours they have to provide us with hard copy. But if you are using a PC and posting on drugs.com I doubt you are in a hospice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonyuh View Post
    Peter is right about the state laws. For example in California our state laws are much different. In California CII rx's are good 6 months from the date they are written. California does not allow fax or mailed rx's (at least at retail) or on phone. Must be hand written. Although to avoid seeing the doctor every month sometimes MD's will write multiple rx's and then just post date the rx. The ONLY time a CII is allowed to by called in is a hospice and then within 72 hours they have to provide us with hard copy. But if you are using a PC and posting on drugs.com I doubt you are in a hospice.
    Yes, I've noticed some doctor's Rx's are post dated. I can name a dozen or so that do it regularly. That's allowed, but is looked upon as bad form by pharmacy staff.

For example, a lady comes in with a script for percocet dated two days into the future. Obviously this gets the pharmacist's attention and he calls the doctor's office to okay the fill, there's usually a back and forth that gets the pharmacists blood-pressure up. Sometimes a (poorly thinking) doctor-shopper is exposed, but usually it's legit. (We verify ALL CSA II's and CSA III's.)

The drug-seekers are finding it ever increasingly difficult to usurp the system. In my state, there's a database kept of all drugs under the controlled substances act and who fills them. A doc-shopper almost always fails because of this. Although not all pharmacies are required to use this database...it grows larger every day...

The 72 hour rule for CII/hospice/emergency situations is the same in my state. I believe that is a federal law? I'll have to ask my boss.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 05-17-2010 at 07:27 PM.
    Peter

Another quirk (federal or state?) is that everyone except the pharmacists are disallowed to even handle sealed containers of CII's. Only the pharmacists can take delivery, unpack or dispense them. It's very strict where I work; it's a "one strike, you're fired" rule. No tech "accidentally" touches the Ritalin or Endocet! Not that they could, as they're kept in a safe.
    Peter

I was only taken a total of 6 to sometimes 800mgs of ibuprofen a day. My doctor switched me to norco 10/325 about 6 months ago. I lost my doctor so i just have one refill left so i need to find another doctor not just for pain meds but other health issues i have.
    jon11

Don't know if anyone still reads this thread. Question I was prescribed a CII on Dec 5. Doctor wrote out new script that I picked up at office. It was dated 12/17 and said refill after 12/30. Can it be refilled on 12/31 or must I wait till 01/02.
    vibgyor8888