Muscle relaxant soma
    ureallygotme is offline New Member

Default Muscle relaxant soma

Hi all. Simple question. I lift weights regulaly and I would like to know if it's safe to take soma as a muscle relaxant for the sore muscles after a heavy workout? I used to take it for muscle pains I got from an auto accident a couple of years back. Thanks for any help.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by ureallygotme View Post
    Hi all. Simple question. I lift weights regulaly and I would like to know if it's safe to take soma as a muscle relaxant for the sore muscles after a heavy workout? I used to take it for muscle pains I got from an auto accident a couple of years back. Thanks for any help.

To be totally honest about it one soma wouldn't hurt you but I don't think I would be taking soma to help with my workout unless it was for a one-time acute problem. That's just me. I would do some additional stretching, lessen the amount of weight used for my workout by a small amount, I would be trying to do something without the help of using a drug. I always tried to keep drugs out of my workouts if possible.

I played competitive racquetball for well over 20 years. I think that is one of the things that helped keep me from going over the edge with RX drugs. I tried to stay in halfway decent shape when competing. I don't think we should push it to the point of having to take drugs, at least not regularly, as part of our workout regimen. If you hurt yourself, then fine, take something. But taking soma shouldn't be a regular part of meds for a workout regimen. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    To be totally honest about it one soma wouldn't hurt you but I don't think I would be taking soma to help with my workout unless it was for a one-time acute problem. That's just me. I would do some additional stretching, lessen the amount of weight used for my workout by a small amount, I would be trying to do something without the help of using a drug. I always tried to keep drugs out of my workouts if possible.

I played competitive racquetball for well over 20 years. I think that is one of the things that helped keep me from going over the edge with RX drugs. I tried to stay in halfway decent shape when competing. I don't think we should push it to the point of having to take drugs, at least not regularly, as part of our workout regimen. If you hurt yourself, then fine, take something. But taking soma shouldn't be a regular part of meds for a workout regimen. God bless.
    I essentially agree with Robert. Realistically you COULD take it once and be fine. Slight chance of side effects but even the possible side effects are nothing big. But you shouldn't be relying on medication for pain relief from lifting. This is not a good drug to take long term (or any drug if you can help it). I lift weights quite a bit myself and if I haven't lifted for a few weeks when I get back in the gym I find myself sore, but if you lift 3-4 times a week for a few weeks to a month you will start to pretty much never get sore or it will be fairly minor compared to when you first start lifting. Stretching before AND after can help reduce soreness as well and warming up properly. Don't rely on drugs for a quick fix, because you dont need drugs for something like this. Heck, take ibuprofen or naproxen if you really have to have something. Good luck
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B