Mixing Xanax Trazodone and Abilify -- Scared!!
    SarahQ1 is offline New Member

Default Mixing Xanax Trazodone and Abilify -- Scared!!

Hi Everyone,

A little backstory first on what is going on to better allow you to give me advice.

In November 2010 I had my first panic attack. In the emergency room they put me under sedation, because I could not discern reality, and I had no idea who I was or where I was. Since this has happened, I have been on a frightening and tempestuous journey to make all of this stop. Upon leaving the hospital, I was prescribed Xanax.

I believed without a doubt that if I could be sedated and made unconscious, that everything would be better. However, the next day was just as worse, and I had another panic attack. I took a xanax. This became a pattern, until Thanksgiving where I swore I would get off of the Xanax and I believed that if I could be around my family I would have no need to panic.

Worst thanksgiving ever. Since then I have suffered from daily panic attacks ranging in intensity, but more often than not they are triggered by my racing thoughts that ultimately raise to a level of terror where it is like watching a movie but you cannot understand the movie and nothing makes sense. Everything goes so fast, yet so slow and distorted. I recognize nothing, not even myself.

I have seen several doctors since January. My first experience being with a male Hypnotherapist who attempted to come on to me sexually, despite knowing my history with male sexual abuse and rape, and afterwards I saw a Therapist in my HMO (Kaiser Permannte) who told me that when I described my feelings during a panic attack that I was "just psycho".

So I'm very paranoid, and worsening in fear. I realize I'm not alone, so I'm crying out. I finally found a cognitive behavioral therapist who is good for me, and she believes that not only do I suffer from panic disorder and agoraphobia, but also bipolar disorder after some careful scrutinization. She wanted to see me on some medication, and recommended a psychiatrist to me, but I was unable to get an appointment with him. I found an alternate psychiatrist on my own, and she was DREADFUL.

She did not listen to anything I said, and spent about half an hour interrupting everything I was saying so she could write down verbatim my words, did not watch my mannerisms, did not observe me in any capacity, and at the end of the session pushed a sample box of ABILIFY into my lap and then wrote me a prescription for Trazodone because I had mentioned it to her.

Now, I take .5-1mg of Xanax a day for sleep at night. Normally during the day I am okay.. when the sun begins to set I become very frightened, and eventually I feel that pang in my stomach, that burning pain and that rush. Then my thoughts begin to race, and I realize I cannot escape them. I feel I am wearing my skin like a jacket and I want to claw my way out of it.. terrified, I go into a state of mania. For the past week I have been taking 1MG of Xanax for sleep, and last night I only took .5MG. I had terrible fitful dreams, and when I woke up I had a furious angry episode where I smashed my fist through the wall. I have begun taking the ABILIFY since yesterday, and took it again today. Exhausted from smashing my fist into the wall, I took another Xanax since my sleep had been disjointed and restless at best. I slept till about 1PM.

I'm terrified of "drug cocktails". I used to be one of those "anti-pill" people. However, I'm coming to terms with this "bipolar" stuff, since it seems to fit like such a glove that it makes me uncomfortable. I do not want to die. I don't want to harm myself in any way, but my brain and mind and thoughts scare me. I'm so massively uncomfortable inside of my body.

Now my question is, after all this blathering: I took .5MG of Xanax 2 hours ago. Is it safe to take my 50MG of Trazodone now so that I can sleep? I'm addicted to Xanax and have been taking it for over 4 months steadily (with periods where I keep trying to self-ween my way off of it with no success). I am so frightened that if I take Trazodone I will trigger a panic attack and be too scared to take Xanax and thus be trapped in the panic attack. But I'm also so afraid of taking Xanax and Trazodone together and somehow darwinizing myself with an accidental suicide.

CAN I TAKE TRAZODONE AND XANAX AT THE SAME TIME? Or should I wait a certain amount of time between the two? If I have a panic attack just after taking Trazodone, will I be harmed if I take Xanax to stop it?

Also will Abilify make my racing thoughts stop?

I'm so afraid. I feel lost. Please someone help me. I want to go back to being the person I was before this all started!

Anonymous Guest

Hi Sara
    I did a drug interactions check for you and this is what came up..I know what your going thru..I have had anxiety all my life and had a couple bouts where I would not leave the house...tried a lot of AD but none of them helped me I did take xanax or klonopin at that time, but I wanted to fin out why it was happing to me so I started reading I read every book on panic disorder I could find... then I started thinking about why and what I was thinking about when I had a panic attack...somwtimes it can just be the fear of fear..but most of the time mine was money...I would start with oh know what if I loose my job and then it would go to oh know I'm going to be homeless and oh know what about my kids I would go off as you can see...
    if you need to talk I'm here
    talk to you soon, Melinda

alprazolam ↔ trazodone
    Applies to: Xanax (alprazolam), trazodone

MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

alprazolam ↔ aripiprazole
    Applies to: Xanax (alprazolam), Abilify (aripiprazole)

MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

trazodone ↔ aripiprazole
    Applies to: trazodone, Abilify (aripiprazole)

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs.
    Note: this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist.