Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stormiwthr
Methadone= real bad sweating
    MissSweet Nectar is offline New Member

Unhappy Methadone= real bad sweating

Im desprete for a cure to my sweating which is a side effect to my methadone use. Ive been on a methadone programe for just over a year and take 70mg a day,as ive gradually had my methadone increased the sweats have only got worse just the thought of sweating makes me sweat. My Doc prescribed catapres-TT2 for me to try which hasnt made any differences
    0.02mg every 24hrs. Ive also had a reaction to the patches adhesive which aint nice either. Getting to my desprete need of a cure or an answer to slow the sweating down can anyone give me some advice or answers to another drug. If i felt stable enough to reduce my dose of methadone that is one way my sweats would ease,im not ready to start reducing yet. Ive got an appointment with my doc in couple of days so would be good if i had some ideas to express and try. The sweats i get aint smelly armpit sweat but droplets all over my face,legs,chest and neck plus hot flushes.
    Last edited by MissSweet Nectar; 05-05-2009 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Needed to describe the sweating a bit better

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

How active are you??? Most times when you have profuse sweating it's a pretty good sign of overmedication. Do your arms or legs jerk without warning or cause??? Are youactive or laying around??? What is your diet like.
    The problem with methadone clinic and/or pain doctors ordering methadone is they don't explain or don't know how to treat a patient on this drug.
    You need to eat a high protien diet, go to bed at the same time every night (as close as you can), exercise, even going for a couple walks a day is a good start. Stay away from junk food and sweets. Drink gatorade regularily.
    The big problem with methadone is most people are on to high of a dose and they tend to sit around all day eating and sleeping. Methadone works very well when you are active. Good luck....Dave

methadonede is offline New Member

Default Miss Sweet's perspiration

Ms. Sweet,
    For a small number of patients methadone causes the effect you describe. It is one of its side effects for some and I'm sorry you are experiencing this. Sorrowfully, there is nothing I've heard of to relieve this. It is not dangerous in any way, only very inconvenient for those affected. Again, I sympathize. Try to keep your thoughts positive and look forward to the time when you'll feel that you can reduce your dose to ease this some for you. And think, too, of methadone's positive positive effects on your life vs. an active street addiction. I wish you well.
    Regards,
    J.R. Neuberger, CMA
    Wilmington, Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by MissSweet Nectar View Post
    Im desprete for a cure to my sweating which is a side effect to my methadone use. Ive been on a methadone programe for just over a year and take 70mg a day,as ive gradually had my methadone increased the sweats have only got worse just the thought of sweating makes me sweat. My Doc prescribed catapres-TT2 for me to try which hasnt made any differences
    0.02mg every 24hrs. Ive also had a reaction to the patches adhesive which aint nice either. Getting to my desprete need of a cure or an answer to slow the sweating down can anyone give me some advice or answers to another drug. If i felt stable enough to reduce my dose of methadone that is one way my sweats would ease,im not ready to start reducing yet. Ive got an appointment with my doc in couple of days so would be good if i had some ideas to express and try. The sweats i get aint smelly armpit sweat but droplets all over my face,legs,chest and neck plus hot flushes.

Hi Dave. Your've made some very good points & given some interesting advice,thankyou.Im a 26yrs old & am a mum 2 a 1yr old so im pretty active but dnt exactly make time to go for a good walk or bike ride.My diet has deteriorated since having my bubba and my bedtime does change a bit,not drastic but does change.

paulashrout243 is offline New Member

Have you had your thyroid checked? This can also cause sweating everywhere. Good luck
    FROM A FRIEND

jen28f is offline New Member

Default Methadone= real bad sweating

Sweetie I feel for you. The sweating was the worst side effect for me....had to powder myself and my sheets every night, but still woke up soaked and during the day the worst sweating was around my neck and under my breasts. I started taking a supplement specifically for methadone users to help with the side effects, including constipation, and it has gotten a lot better. It costs about $30 a bottle and you will be able to tell after a week or so if it works or not so at least its not a big investment if it doesnt help. The supplement is called VITADONE and can be ordered from a few places online, just google it to find it.
    Let me know if you need anything else, and also once you have started using it, if it helps you any. My email is jenjenallison@gmail.com.
    Till then, take care.

Jen

Hey Jen
    Im happy to hear there are females that do suffer the sweats from methadone,I felt it was a side effect suffered only by men which made me feel even more on my own.Im definitely gona look into Vitadone for some relief,& will definitely let you know how i go.My doc just gave me a script of clonidine pills to try 150mgx2per day for 2wks & they seem to be drying me up ok but im hating the dry mouth that comes with them.Cant have everything aey. Ange Pange

chiquitabanana is offline New Member

Default Oxybutynin for Methadone-related sweating

Assuming you have already ruled out other causes...
    I have a couple of methadone patients on a low dose of Oxybutynin, e.g. 5 mg twice a day. There is also an extended-release (once daily) form available in the US. It is an anticholinergic medication usually used for urinary incontinence. The most common side effects at low doses are dry eyes and dry mouth, but it does seem to help with the sweating.

drugfreeme3 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MissSweet Nectar View Post
    When I was on methadone I had the over sweating problem. Theres nothing you can do about it. Its a side effect of the methadone it is not a result of being over medicated. 70mg isnt a high dose and dont go up any higher than you are now. if you are comfortable at your dose...stay there. I used a clinical strenght deoderant by Dove and it helped a little for underarm sweat. But its just a side effect from the methadone. You are not alone with this side effect.

stormiwthr is offline New Member

Lightbulb Hope for Methadone Sweats??

I also have a severe sweating problem because of my methadone treatment! It's like being blasted with a hot lamp on top of my face and head...the seat just starts to pour off of me! It's terribly uncomfortable and I can't even wear makeup anymore....It's causing problems for me at work (I wait tables) b/c no one wants to see their server dripping sweat off their nose or chin into the food they are bringing to your table! I can commiserate with what you said about even thinking about sweating makes you sweat! LOL

I suppose I have to laugh about it because I'm getting to the point where I feel like crying....I have done some reading and came up with some case studies published in the "American Journal of Psychiatry" (Feb, 2003) which talks about treating excessive sweating from methadone being treated successfully by a drug called "Biperiden". Evidently a methadone patient who sweated severely (like ourselves) was prescribed this medication for a mental health issue, surprisingly found that his sweats stopped while taking it. The doctor then tried it out on a few other methadone patients with similar results. The article says that a 2 to 4mg dose of extended release Biperiden can really help stop the sweating. Hell, I'd be happy to have the oven turned down by just a few hundred degree's!! Any noticable improvement would be a godsend!! I'm sure many of you who suffer the sane thing would agree with me. I'll be talking to the Dr. at my methadone clinic to see if he will prescribe it to me,,if not I'll see another Dr. I'm very anxious to try it out.

If anyone else has used this medicine already I'd love to hear about your results. I will post mine as soon as I can get my own trial started!! I've got my fingers crossed on this one... I know I'm seriously becoming scared with summer on the horizon and I'm becoming fearful of losing my job because of this side effect!! If this doesn't end up working I suppose I'll be figuring out where the coolest (coldest) place I can possible move to, oh and I'll probably have to get a job where I work in a refrigerated climate!! Haha

Good luck everyone,

any known cures out there..PLEASE tell all!!

Thanks a million and All the best!!

Dee
    rstratt1 likes this.

sweating2death is offline New Member

Default please help

I too suffer from severe sweating as a side effect of my methadone treatment, and also a decreased libido. As bad as the side effects are, I would rather suffer from them than suffer from untreated oppiate addiction (to which methadone has been a wonder drug).
    That being said, when I began reading this thread I was hoping that one of you would have updated the thread with some insight as to how those medications worked for your severe sweating but I was sad to see that no one did. I began taking methadone 9 months ago (last september)and now that its getting warmer the sweating is becoming unbearable! Its only May and the temp is only in the 60's
    and I can only leave to go to the clinic then come straight home to sit in front of my AC because the sweat just covers my face and drips off me & people on the subway train sometimes look at me like theres something wrong with me! For this reason I barely even leave my house & dont know what Im gonna do when the temp hits 100 in the dog days of summer? I am supposed to begin going to college soon & fear how I am going to pay attention in school while sweating like this? Please if anyone out there knows of any medication that "worked for you" please let me know I am begging you???

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

Severe sweating is unfortunately, a side effect of methadone. After reading your post, I googled it. What I came up with is there are certain prescription meds for sweating but really, for those on methadone, staying well hydrated by drinking lots of water, using talcum powder throughout the day and using a "clinical strength" anti perspirant can help. As for lack of libido, that is another symptom many on any opiate suffer. Perhaps lowering your meth dose and getting stable on it will help with that aspect of things.

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

Everything can be treated naturally. There is no miracle pill. Exercise, diet and staying hydrated will help with the side effects. Also vitadone is supposed to be a great supplement for methadone users. If you lay around all the time you'll sweat double time when you actually get up off the couch. As far as libido the same thing, exercise and diet can turn you into superman

mareke is offline Junior Member

It's not just methadone that causes excessive sweating. I remember when I was on high doses of tramadol I would break out in a profuse sweat even though it wasn't hot and I wasn’t doing anything that normally causes you to sweat. The sweating caused the skin around my armpits to break out in an unsightly rash which I put up with for years but when it got worse I saw a dermatologist who told me it was a fungal condition caused by the excessive sweating. The solution to the fungal condition was to smear some anti-dandruff shampoo containing ketoconazole on the affected area and it disappeared within days after being there for years. The only suggestion I can make for the sweating is to try and take the lowest dose of methadone that you can tolerate. Keeping active and fit may also help. Reduced libido is another side effect not restricted to methadone. Even relatively low doses of tramadol tends to reduce my libido. At my age (59) I'm not that bothered by it. The only solution I know is to either stop taking the drug or see if your doctor would prescribe testosterone (a doctor might not be prepared to do this). In my experience no amount of exercise will restore the reduced libido although a healthy heart and good circulation are helpful in maintaining libido. When I stop taking tramadol libido returns like clockwork within a week.

dhubertjerseygirl is offline New Member

THIS IS FOR METHADONEDE

OMG I have the same problem. I have been on Methadone for a few years. Recently, I have requested to get off. They are detoxing me 5 miligrams every 2 wks & I have come down from 95 to 55, which is 40 miligrams already. I am still sweating so badly & before the methadone, I would be cold in the summer time. lol. The heat nvr bthrd me now I cannot leave my house. My question & worry is ; Is sweating a permanent side affect of taking methadone or does the sweating stop when you stop the methadone. Your one of the people who seemes to know what you are talking about, which is why I chose to ask you. Thanks alot
    Last edited by dhubertjerseygirl; 05-31-2011 at 08:13 PM.

sprockets2000 is offline New Member

Benadryl or promethazine, just take a small dose cause they are a cns depressant as well and methadone is a pretty intense cns depressant. i see this solved with a anti-histamine.

sprockets2000 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by sprockets2000 View Post
    Benadryl or promethazine, just take a small dose cause they are a cns depressant as well and methadone is a pretty intense cns depressant. i see this solved with a anti-histamine.
    Before you do that though, talk to your doctor about using the two together, i know >> be fine but I dont know your history nor am I a doctor and methadone scares the hell out of me in fact there are only two opiates that scare me and thats methadone and fenatnyl mainly because tey both effect breathing so much. If you cant wait >> def try benadryl first at like half a pill see if it helps make sure you are breathing goood etc etc. also go to local super market and check your BP. you could very easily be exp wd symp just cause your on methadone doesnt mean its a large enough dose.

klahan55419 is offline New Member

Thumbs up

I have been on methadone for 2 years now.I am sweating like you my nose face neck and back. I have found nothing yet I carry a fresh clean wash cloth or even wet wipes work.It was 103 here two weeks ago I was so wet. Also not the armpit sweat also under breasts I found that a soft cotton cloth will absorb some of the excess.
    Elaine

Default methadone ?s

I am sorry about u having to deal with those kinds of feelings. Honestly, Valium or Xanax is great to have to ease your anxiety and withdrawals off the methadone. Esp. Valium since it has a long half life. Helps with drug and alcohol withdrawals. Some doctors give them, and if u explain you are not sleeping and have high anxiety and need just a chill pill for a few weeks, he or she will be more likely to give u a script as long as u don't keep going back for refills all the time, like some ppl do. Also, tramadol is an effective painkiller. It is non-narcotic but acts like a narcotic. Pretty strong stuff and not as addicting. Also, clonidine works great. It is a blood pressure med but has tons of secondary uses for anxiety, drug withdrawal, and tobacco quiting. It will make u feel a little loopey, but it does relax u. I am on o.o2mg per day. Can be taken 2-3x a day. Just a few suggestions. Hope these are helpful and good luck. I am a recovered drug addict and have a BA in psychology, but I write, go figure! Just let me know if u ever need to talk about anything. Every ? is important when dealing with topics like these

Atlalienmax is offline New Member

Is oxybutynin prescription only? The clinic I am at here in LA doesn't provide a doctor for anything but your methadone dose so I'd have to seek another provider. I suffer the same sweat and hot flash problems and am a male, but I stay grateful for the positives methadone has brought for me and much rather would keep the sweats versus the life I led pre-methadone.
    Max