Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 3discsoutofwhack
  • 1 Post By mpvt
Methadone questions

Default Methadone questions

I am on 80 mg of methadone 40mg twicw a day and 120 mg of oxycodone 30 MG 4 TIMES A DAY. I don't want any pity or sound like a baby but the combo does't do much for my back pain nor does it do much for my mental stability, like depression or anxiety. I smoke more and wake up in the middle of the night to eat alot of junk food. My question is this, should I ask to increase my methadone or oxycodone or just ask to switch my meds all together. I go to a pain managrmrntcbenter and the Dr there is very weary about giving out too many medications. Any ideas orsuggestion
    britellis22 likes this.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Your wasting money taking the oxycodone.When you get to 80-120mgs of methadone a day then you are at what the methadone clinics call a blocking dose.That's why methadone is so effective for addicts.Once the addict gets to 80mgs then all other opiates stop working because the methadone molecule can't be pushed off the receptor by other opiate molecules.So you either need to stop the methadone or the oxycodone.Methadone is a much more powerful opiate then oxycodone so methadone would be my choice.You would need to probably go to 40mgs TID (3 times a day).Good luck.....Dave

Ps I have been taking methadone for the last 4 years for 4 failed back surgeries.I took every opiate there is for the first 22 years and then 4 years ago started methadone.Believe me when I tell you that the other opiates are **** for long time users of opiates.We get a tolerance to quickly to them.Methadone patients go years before they need a small increase like 10-20mgs....DAve
    britellis22 likes this.

Thanks for the info Dave, it seems that you have been dealing with back pain for a long time. I had back probems before but nothong like this last injury. So if I go to the doc and suggest to up the methadone and cut the oxycodone, will there be any withdrawls from the oxy??
    thanx again 3 discs

No,you won't have any withdrawls from the oxy's because the methadone is covering all your recptors.You would likely have withdrawls if you stopped the methadone though....Good luck..Dave

BewareofMattD is offline New Member

Not trying to scare you. But you really need too ween yourself off of methadone, or have the doctor do it.. That is if you do switch from Methadone to something else.

I was a methadone pill addicted from when i was 18 until i was 20. The withdrawals were like nothing i ever felt. I thought i was going too die literally. But my mother and cousin (who is a youth pastor) both agreed that my mom (who's prescribed) should ween me off herself. and it really helped me, and in a years time, i was clean from them. Been clean from methadone for 2 1/2 years now.

Hydrocodone is just as addictive,Percocet is very addictive. But unlike Methadone. The Hydrocodone high and Percocet high both go away when you get ammuned to them.. Methadone's doesn't.

As far as pain goes. Methadone is the best.

I'm not that Educated on Oxycontin, Being that i've never taken it because i've had friends that died when they overdosed on it.

BewareofMattD is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by mpvt

Your wasting money taking the oxycodone.When you get to 80-120mgs of methadone a day then you are at what the methadone clinics call a blocking dose.That's why methadone is so effective for addicts.Once the addict gets to 80mgs then all other opiates stop working because the methadone molecule can't be pushed off the receptor by other opiate molecules.
    Thanks bro.

You just helped me alot actually.. I've wondered why since i stopped taking methadone that no other pill works like it used too. I guess the methadone still has control over me, even though i'm clean.

My mom told me something like you just said, But i never believed her.

Actually because you were taking methadone for 2 years you opiate tolerance goes through the roof and it's very difficult for weaker opiates to work.Fentanyl will work but it's extremely powerful and should only be taken for last chance chronic pain patients.Good luck....Dave

thanx again Dave I hear ya about about wasting money on the oxycodone becuase of how the methadone effect on the brain. I'll talk it over with my doctor and take it from there. I just want to let you know and other members also that I use drugs to treat an injury to my spine. With out these medications, every day would be a struggle just to get out of bed.With them I am able to go to work and feed my family.
    peace out 3 discs

I've had 4 lumbar surgeries and without methadone I would be screwed.I get tolerent to most other opiates so quickly that they become useless.Before I went on methadone 4 years ago I was taking 3,000mgs of ms contin a day and it wasn't helping anything but keeping me from having opiate withdrawls.When I started methadone I went up to 400mgs a day.I stayed there for 3 years and this last year I have come down over 8 months to 300mgs a day.My receptors in my brain were a mess and it took a couple of years with not abusing for them to heal.This in turn made the methadone work better and that's why I was able to come down on my dose.Methadone patients can usually go for years with out a dose change and when they do it's usually a small 5-10mg dose raise..Good luck....Dave

mjhaynes is offline New Member

I cannot believe people are telling others it is ok to mix benzo's with methadone. This combination killed my only child on 09-04-06. He was 23 years old. Those two drugs along with some caffeine were the only things in his system. Please rethink giving out that advice. I also have met so many families that methadone has killed their loved ones. Best of luck, mary h

Melis11577 is offline Junior Member

On June 24th 2006 I lost my fiancé (Ron) to methadone prescribed by a physician with a combination of other medications that acted as additives to the Methadone. He had several knee surgeries and became addicted to the percocet he was prescribed (he was supposed to have a knee replacement also). He checked himself into Greenleaf in Valdosta, GA for detoxification. Upon entering the facility he was drug tested and did not come up positive for opiates (he had stopped taking the percocet 4 days before entering the facility). On the fourth day in detox he died sometime between 2am and 1pm in the afternoon (he was never checked on in all of those hours). The night before he died he was complaining of migraines and vomiting, apparently the staff thought he was still experiencing withdrawals and was not concerned about these symptoms. The symptoms of methadone toxicity mimic withdrawal symptoms physicians and staff must be very cognizant of the complex properties and metabolization of methadone. There were many errors made in my fiancé’s death including the fact that he was given numerous amounts of additive medications such as benzodiazepines.

Methadone is NOT a medication to be played around with. It is very difficult for doctors to guage the correct dosage a patient should be on. Methadone does fill the opioid receptor sites but given too much methadone or mixed with other opiates, benzos, or alcohol will give the user a "high" and may cause death. Methadone is especially dangerous for pain patients because of it's long half life but short analgesic effects, pain patients may want to take another pill not realizing the medication may stay in the body up to 72 hours depending on the metabolization of the methadone which is affected by other medications and supplements. Methadone is used as a agosist for opiate addicted people it is not blocking the opiate per say it is replacing it; it is a synthetic opiate, it's doing the same thing it's just longer acting then >>>>>>, oxy, percocet etc.... Many people will continue to abuse other opiates on top of methadone to get "high" or use their methadone for a come down from stimulants.

Please be very careful when taking methadone even opiate tolerant people have died as a result of methadone. I have come together with several other families throughout the country who have lost a loved ones to methadone and together we have created a petition for tougher regulations on methadone and increased education for prescribers and staff treating patients with MMT. The link is on the memorial page for my fiance.

Thanks
    Melissa

www.renato-capozzo.memory-of.com

painadvocate is offline New Member

not one person mentioned the use of Benzo's in this thread.

Why would they????Benzodiazepines aren't painkillers.They are also only good for short term use and become to much of a problem when doctors order them for chronic use.
    Valium (Diazepam) is use for back spasm's and it works very well but you can't use it daily for more than 10-14 days tops.....Dave

korndemon69420 is offline New Member

Exclamation Methadone and anastethia!!!

Hey I need help.. I am on 100 mg of methadone disk for opiate dependence and I have to have surgery tomorrow on my teeth..I am scared because I have to be put completely under for the operation with anastethia.. I am worried do I have anything to worry about?? Please email me or something.. My email is korndemon69420@hotmail.com my name is chris

Make sure you tell them your on methadone and you'll be fine.If they are giving you general then the methadone doesn't really come into play.If they are only sedating you then they will have to maybe change the sedation that they usually use.Either way you have to tell them all the meds you take.Good luck and don't worry you'll be fine......Dave

korndemon69420 is offline New Member

Thanks mpvt.. I went and had my oral surgery.. I usually don't get nervous about the methadone thing I have been on it for a lil over a year now so.. But when I asked the doctor at the methadone clinic he kinda acted like he had NO IDEA which was kinda messed up if ya ask me.. He had no clue.. So I told the oral surgeon and he just used Ketimen or something like that instead of anastethia.. The only thing I am worried about now is the dentist gave me a prescription for 20 K8 dilaudids and 20 lortab 7.5s with a refill... I am in pain but kinda afraid to take something as strong as Dilaudid K8s... But I am gonna try to talk to the doc that gives me methadone tomorrow.. Well thanks anyways and any input would be great..

joe from brooklyn is offline New Member

Default im on 90mg of done but need a evening dose 4 pain

i go to the clinic every morning and take my 90 mg of methadone in liquid form ,i started on methadone to get off herion and it works , no other pain pills will work on me as well , so im stuck on methadone so i figure i should see how i can use it for my very bad pain in my knees , feet and hands even after i get my dose from the clinic every morning i feel tiny bit better but by 7 pm my pains are back 85 percent and by 2 am 100 percent it takes me 4 or 5 minites t get out of bed because if i stretch my leg to fast i will scream and if i put my feet down and put my body's preasure on them i will fall, but i get he 90 mg once a day in the morning in liquid form what i want to know is who do i see about my pain and getting another dose weather it be tablets or liquid at around 5 pm to keep the pain away till morning i have no clue how to go bout that i do not think the methadone clinc will help in that matter i dont lnow anyone who gets a daily take home dose for later that dy only sunday doses are given out or holiday s when there closed how do i get another dose of methadone at 5pm or 6 pm to get m through till morning can someone please help me out with this , i cant take any other medication that will work now that im on methadone for addiction but it may as well act as my pin med since im already on it and my knees and feet and hands are in bad shape , i dont make sense to up my morning dos although i still feel pain all day it helps somewhat till late afternoon , what i ned is a dose of tablet form or liquid form at pm to 7 pm to t\lesson the pain over night and maybe i will sleep better as well, who should i talk to the clinic ? but like i said i never herd of them giving daily take homes for later on i think its the morning dose and thats it or will the docor there perscribe me with tablets for evening ?? please does someone have an answer for me the pain day to day >>\s making me crazy i even thought about trying to buy methadone from mexico online if they dont help me im thinking crazy cause i dont see an answer , remember i originally got on he methadone to get off herion and that works but its not helping my pain enough and not lasting for the evening and night any words of wisdom will help me thank you for reading my problem .

2sunshines is offline New Member

Joe: Are you saying you started having pain after starting Methadone treatment?

Anonymous Guest

if you tell your clinic you are still in pain, they should put your dose up. but methadone is only taken once a day, because it has a really long half life....
    is there any way you can take it later in the day..??

i went thru a clinic also so i know how it is.. but usually if you are straight up, they will help you...

you said you'd used methadone to come off >>>>>>, did you have pain issues then??

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

Some clinics allow split dosing it just depends on what state you're in. Split dosing works better for pain management. If you have good insurance you could seek out a pain management doctor who might prescribe it to you instead of having to go to a clinic.

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by yezdegerd View Post
    Some clinics allow split dosing it just depends on what state you're in. Split dosing works better for pain management. If you have good insurance you could seek out a pain management doctor who might prescribe it to you instead of having to go to a clinic.

Yeah, I take 5mg/12hrs OR 10mg/24hrs in tablet form, from my pain management Dr.
    To put it in perspective - 10mg/day of Methadone works as well as 300mg (three-hundred mg, no typo!) of Oxycodone!!!
    It must be FAR more potent a painkiller.
    However, occasionally I have to supplement it with it a short acting analgesic.

But that's a bit OT....Joe:

You can obtain methadone tablets from a pain doctor or an addiction doctor (you may have more luck from the latter, considering your prior addictions.) I have two Dr.'s: a psychiatrist who specializes in addictions and a pain Dr.; they work in concert. My pain Dr. does the prescribing of any narcotics after considering the opinion of the other.

If you're having p.m. pain (I know I do, if I take my Methadone in one dose too early in the day) try (AFTER CONSULTING A DOCTOR!) a good, solid 800mg dose of Advil OR 500mg Aleve around 2 pm. Usually, the combination of an anti-inflammatory or APAP + a narcotic analgesic are used in pain management; just straight-up narcotics are not NEARLY as effective in treating pain. Or so my Dr. tells me.

Good luck, Joe and congratulations on being off of >>>>>>! I know that is no easy feat! (applause)
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 06-12-2011 at 05:13 AM.
    Peter