On methadone, need advice for pain
    Poppy36 is offline New Member

Default On methadone, need advice for pain

I am on 100mg of methadone for 2 yrs. I just had a hernia surgery yesterday and having some pain. I have a prescription for 60 of the 10mg oxycontin. So my question is with me being on the methadone, will the oxycontin work for the pain relief?

Sacre_Bleu is offline New Member

I don't think so, not from a normal dose of oxycontin. Anything over eighty milligrams of methadone is what's called a blocking dose, I believe. This means you would have to take a larger dose of oxycontin to obtain any pain relief. I really feel as if you need guidance from whomever is prescribing your methadone.

I hope you feel better. I've had two inguinal hernias repaired through open surgery and it isn't fun.

cheeky is offline Diamond Member

i was on 60mg of methadone a few years back when i had a bad car accident... they gave me morphine on top of my usual daily dose. the doctor said to me ''if there is one thing we can treat, its pain, and we wont leave you in pain just coz you are on a program'''

its worth a try... otherwise maybe temporarily up your dose.. ?

Elzbita is offline New Member

Fifty fifty chances for the relief of the pain but my opinion to consult the physician or surgeon doctor to recommend you as per your examine the current situation at all,

yourdrugadvisor is offline New Member

Default Methadone vs. Oxycontin

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy36 View Post
    I am on 100mg of methadone for 2 yrs. I just had a hernia surgery yesterday and having some pain. I have a prescription for 60 of the 10mg oxycontin. So my question is with me being on the methadone, will the oxycontin work for the pain relief?
    If you are on a program, I would advise you to contact that practitioner and get some expert advice. Higher doses of methadone would help your pain, but it stays in your body for a relatively long period of time.

No one should have to live with pain. Call you MD and get this resolved.

Ron Barron, RPh Your Drug Advisor