Methadone and Naproxen?
    forget is offline New Member

Default Methadone and Naproxen?

After years of narcotic usage and the failure of anti-inflamitories to adequately control my back pain my doctor (mostly because of my adamant refusal to consider Oxycontin or Morphine or Fentanyl in any form whatsoever) started me on methadone to control my back pain in conjunction with Naproxen Sodium @ 800 Mg TID.
    A nurse friend of mine has hinted to me of possible adverse effects of these two medications together. I spoke with my doctor about my concerns and he has told me that there is no concern whatsoever. My friend is adamant in her statement that there is some kind of adverse reaction of these two medications when used in conjunction together.
    Does anyone know anything about this? I cannot find anything about it, and she refuses to be more specific because she cannot (or will not) be more specific . Something about giving medical advice without authorization. While I am sure that she is right in not being able to give out medical advice, I am unsure if she is right about possible reactions of these medications when used together.

Maybe it will reduce the effectiveness of one or both when used in conjunction?

Does anyone know anything about this? Or is she misinformed?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Sue

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

There is nothing stopping her from her opinion.There is nothing for you to fear about these two drugs other than methadone is a narcotic and is addictive but if your a chronic pain patient then this isn't an issue for you.She's not telling you what to do medically,I think she probably has a personel reason (likely the methadone) why she won't go any further but it's b.s. about the medical advice,she's a nurse not a doctor.....Dave

Odus is offline New Member

Speaking from personal experience, no ill effects have resulted from taking naproxen with dolophine (methadone). Only after consulting with my physician did I begin to use naproxen, and my physician is one of the countries leading experts in the use of methadone. I have been using methadone for some ten years and naproxen for about five. Though I do not take naproxen daily, as I do the methadone, I have had occasion to use it for periods of up to 30 days (Tooth infection). As stated, no ill effects from this combination of medications have been experienced. Always remember though, every person has a different reaction to specific medications. I suggest taking a small amount of naproxen the first time you mix the two, just in case. That way, if you do suffer ill effects, they will not be as bad as if you had taken a large amount of naproxen. Personally, I had trouble with nausea when I began taking methadone, but it went away fairly soon.

On a different subject, I would like to take this opportunity to warn you that you will experience discrimination from many in the medical community for no other reason than you are using methadone. Be prepared to find out exactly how little physicians really know about the physiological effects of opioids. Never be afraid to tell a doctor they are ignorant, no matter how "god-like" they may think they are. You will, undoubtedly, be kicked out of more than one physician's office after he/she hears the word, "methadone". Well over 50% of the physicians you see will assume you are merely a "drug seeking junkie" after they find out you're taking methadone. Be ready to learn the TRUE meaning of the word "prejudice". It isn't confined to the medical community either. Should you ever be pulled over by law enforcement and they happen to see your medicine, prepare yourself for a rough time. Ignorance about this medication is rampant in this country (U.S.). Ironically, it is an excellent drug for relief of chronic pain due to its long half-life. That same fact also results in a far less intense feeling of intoxication than other opiates like morphine or fentanyl. After a very short time, no mood alteration will be experienced after taking methadone.

I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of pain relief. The best advice I can give you is to arm yourself with as much information as possible. I do not mean information such as, "My cousin's uncle told me his friend...” hearsay. Read as much as possible in recently published (no more than 5 years) medical journals and pharmacology texts. If it works for you, don't let ignorance cause you to cease using methadone for pain relief.

Odus

LoisDG is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by Odus

Speaking from personal experience, no ill effects have resulted from taking naproxen with dolophine (methadone). Only after consulting with my physician did I begin to use naproxen, and my physician is one of the countries leading experts in the use of methadone. I have been using methadone for some ten years and naproxen for about five. Though I do not take naproxen daily, as I do the methadone, I have had occasion to use it for periods of up to 30 days (Tooth infection). As stated, no ill effects from this combination of medications have been experienced. Always remember though, every person has a different reaction to specific medications. I suggest taking a small amount of naproxen the first time you mix the two, just in case. That way, if you do suffer ill effects, they will not be as bad as if you had taken a large amount of naproxen. Personally, I had trouble with nausea when I began taking methadone, but it went away fairly soon.

On a different subject, I would like to take this opportunity to warn you that you will experience discrimination from many in the medical community for no other reason than you are using methadone. Be prepared to find out exactly how little physicians really know about the physiological effects of opioids. Never be afraid to tell a doctor they are ignorant, no matter how "god-like" they may think they are. You will, undoubtedly, be kicked out of more than one physician's office after he/she hears the word, "methadone". Well over 50% of the physicians you see will assume you are merely a "drug seeking junkie" after they find out you're taking methadone. Be ready to learn the TRUE meaning of the word "prejudice". It isn't confined to the medical community either. Should you ever be pulled over by law enforcement and they happen to see your medicine, prepare yourself for a rough time. Ignorance about this medication is rampant in this country (U.S.). Ironically, it is an excellent drug for relief of chronic pain due to its long half-life. That same fact also results in a far less intense feeling of intoxication than other opiates like morphine or fentanyl. After a very short time, no mood alteration will be experienced after taking methadone.

I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of pain relief. The best advice I can give you is to arm yourself with as much information as possible. I do not mean information such as, "My cousin's uncle told me his friend...” hearsay. Read as much as possible in recently published (no more than 5 years) medical journals and pharmacology texts. If it works for you, don't let ignorance cause you to cease using methadone for pain relief.

Odus
    Great reply Odus, Ain`t it the truth.........Lois

To those of you who have nothing better to do than talk about me, Thank you for making me the centre of your UNIVERSE!!!!!

razzell2 is offline New Member

"A nurse friend of mine has hinted to me of possible adverse effects of these two medications together. I spoke with my doctor about my concerns and he has told me that there is no concern whatsoever. My friend is adamant in her statement that there is some kind of adverse reaction of these two medications when used in conjunction together."

Your nurse friend may have been confusing Naproxen with a couple of other drugs that are antagonists to methadone, or any other opioid.

Naltrexone
    Naloxone
    Nalmefene
    or Nubain, all sound similar to the anti inflamatory drug, Naproxen.

Any of these opioid antagonists or mixed agonist-antagonists lower the body's methadone levels. This is done by ripping them from the opioid receptors where the liver can biotransform them into inactive metabolites, effectively removing the methadone from those receptor sites, and bumping you into withdrawl.

Perhaps your nurse friend was thinking of one of these similar sounding drugs when warning you of combining naproxen with your methadone?

Just a thought.

Peace

Razz

SABIAN23 is offline New Member

Default Just a thought........

I am not trying to be a know it all, but i have been on opiates for chronic pain for the last 13 years so i thought i would give a little advice coming from experience. I agree with the other replies that there is a stigma placed on anyone using methadone, regardless if it is because you are an ex >>>>>> user, or simply using it for chronic pain. It is very commonly prescribed for pain, but i just thought i would put out a little warning when it comes to methatdone. Although i completely understand your concern for using narcotics such as oxy and morphine for your pain, methatdone has a very long half life, making it good for pain, but it has a terrible withdrawal because of this. I have personally detoxed off of close to 300 mgs of methadone, and it can take months to feel even somewhat better, it is pure hell. So i just wanted to put that out there, u may be better off on a small dose of another opioid or you may suffer in the long run. I only give this advice because i hate to see anyone have to go through the withdrawals of methadone that are in most cases simply unbearable. I truly hope everything works out for you.