Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chad5749
  • 1 Post By chris235
Methadone and hydrocodone!!!
    ScorpF4 is offline Member

Default Methadone and hydrocodone!!!

Will methadone stop the affects of other opiates like oxycodone and hydrocodone? Say if i take a 10mg methadone pill in the morning and decide to take some lortab 10's later in the afternoon will the methadone stop the hydrocodone from effecting me??

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

I've read that it's suppose to, I've never taken Methadone before but I asked this same question to a friend who has and she said that it doesn't stop the affect.

^..^ ~~ ,
    =´`= ___ )-~

chad5749 is offline New Member

Please note that I am not a healthcare professional and my reply is of a personal opinion in nature.

I would think that if taking Methadone as prescribed for example-the relief of chronic pain, that other opiates e.g. Hydrocodone or Oxycodone would benifit as a 'breakthrough' type addition to the Methadone. I would imagine that other opiates would not be affected or non respnsive, as the lesser drugs in comparison to Methadone would be often used as additonal or 'breakthrough' pain reliever in addition to Methadone when used for the treatment of Chronic Pain.

~º~chad~º~
    Coleman09 likes this.

kcooleymac is offline Member

Methadone has the same effects as other opiates. Lots of people take them recreationally and DO become addicted to them. It is not as bad as becoming addicted to something like OC or something, but it is still addictive and hard to break once started.

-Kristine

pharmd06 is offline Member

methadone will not stop the effect of any other opiate. in fact it works in the same way and the effect would be additive...

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Yep, it has no ingredients to neutralize opiates like Suboxone does.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

Montana is offline New Member

Hi, everyone. I'm new to your forum and don't know a lot about medications. Quess that is why I'm here. I'm taking Methadone, as of two months ago for my back and degenerative joints. Not sure if it is helping my Postherpetic Neuralgia. Must be. Facial not good at this time. I've been taking Klonopin for this which does help.
    I feel I need a brake through med for the Methadone, but don't know if they do this or what would be best to use. What is Hydrocodone? I feel I need to up my Methadone 5mg or change to something else (because I can not set at computer for as long as I would like to and pay during and next day with extra pain) but don't want to get into anything like oxycotin. I take a vicoden extra strength from dentist and does not seem to help out that much.
    Would appreciate any help on this also because of first time on Meth and don't know what can be taken along with it and if people do use a brake through med with it.

pharmd06 is offline Member

montana-

hydrocodone is the narcotic ingredient in your vicodin.

many people do take a breakthrough pain med. i think that you might want to try oxycodone 5mg tabs. but that is something to talk to your md about. he may just raise your methadone dose or discuss other options.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

He may also recommend an instant release Morphine for breakthrough pain, or a low instant release of more Methadone. You doctor will be best able to recommend what will mix well with your other meds and provide you with the most benefit. Just like Pharmd said.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

Montana is offline New Member

Thank you all for your response for my post. I see my M.D. in three days and going to ask for a break through, up the Methadone or change to something else. He's not happy with me mixing the Klonopin with the Methadone. Gives me only 2mg daily. Need something for at night but he says he can not do this. So, I should tell him to give me something it will mix with. A prior doctor was giving me Norco with the Klonopin. This clinic says they don't believe in opiates. What could be worse then Norco vs Methadone. I heard a few doc's there gave out Valium. I read Valium can damage your nervous systom over time. I can not set at the computer longer then one hour with my back and arms hurt right away. Any suggestions are very welcome. I may end-up with several. I have to find what is the best going right now for facial neuralgia (I have Postherpetic Neuralgia)also. But need to get out of this pain more in-order to do anything without paying at the time and the next day.

gokatgo is offline New Member

Default methdone vs. other opiates

I've read several of the post and I'm sorry but most of you are way off the mark. Methadone does inhibit the effectiveness of other opiates ie Vicodin, Percocet, Morphine even >>>>>>. That is one reason methadone is used as a substitute to help addicts stay off of the other opiates. What happens in methadone had an extremely long half life so after you have been on it for a while it builds up in you blood stream. This is what causes the other opiates to lose their effectiveness. Believe me I'm not talking out of my a**. I was in the hospital for a terrible car accident and they could give me 100mg IV of demerol, 4mg IV every 2 hrs of morphine and the only thing that help my pain was my regular dose of methodone. One more thing I would like to add is if you have a choice stay away from methadone. The drug will become your master and I have never encountered any other drug that can make you a slave to it like methadone. Kick your habit by yourself don't let the detox doctors sucker you into getting on methadone. Because most of those opiate doctors either own or work for methadone clinics. One last thing Suboxone is a great alternative but it is so dang expensive you might as well kick yourself. You'll be sick. I've been through it many times but at least you won't be tied to master methadone.

leelee is offline Member

Wink Different strokes,I suppose.

I can only speak for myself.
    I am 40 and have taken opiates...mainly anything w/ hydrocodone in it...Lorcet,Lortab,Vic's,etc....to the point that I'm ashamed to admit that my 2 daughters' basically grew up in hospitals and doctors offices most of their childhood until I went to prison.Opiate related,btw.
    Since my release from prison 8 years ago,I STILL felt inadequate,overwhelmed,downright CRAZY without the leveling off the opiates did for me.I only felt NORMAL(whatever that is) when I was taking meds.Yes,you would THINK after 4 and a half years of the state penetentiary I would have "learned my lesson"....but it wasn't a matter of JUST NOT USEING THEM.All I wanted to do is die on a daily basis,even inside those razor wires,as I felt my brain was not working right.
    And through many many tests...I was right.I am severly chemically unbalanced.Not by what I SAY...but what many test PROVE.Doctors explained to me a scenario that helped me understand."Some people have something equivilent to spark plugs.Some peoples' spark plugs fire just fine.While others won't fire at all,leaving your mind scrambled like "eggs frying",and it's horrible and it effects your thinking.motor skills,and "even clean and sober for 4 plus years,you are still in states of confusion!"
    I opted to give methadone a try.Well...when I wasn't getting a quick fix at the beginning,I TRIED taking hand FULL of opiate base pills,and couldn't even kill a tootheache,muchless get that same opiate effect that I once had.I tried and tried and tried! I even drank a ton of Tussionex along with Vic 10's
    My clinic says methadone counter-reacts the meds...of course I took that at face value,thinking "THEY WOULD SAY THAT"!LOL (just to keep us off opiates).
    But each time I tried taking more and more and more and it was like taking suger pills to me.
    I'm over 7 years into methadone,and even though the thought of being on this the remainder of my life ERKS the h*** out of me....all I know,is since I am on a leveled out dose.I no longer crave anything else.I am at 160 MG's....and it took begging like a dope fien to get there...but I've been at this dose for around 3 years now,and life is no longer like walking in fog,It has NEVER been so clear to me.
    Methadone is not right for everyone,I know.But if it's keeping you from breaking laws,and over-dosing on other things when you run out of your opiate....then don't kick yourself in the a*** because people say it's "trading one habit for another"
    Ignore that.
    Beyond a shadow of a doubt,I KNOW me better than anyone else...and no matter how many times I say "I can handle this without chemicals"..I know I'm lieing to myself.Years of near death experiences,and breaking bones on my body to get Oxy's etc...tell me that if I CHOOSE to go back to running the prescription dependency,I will eventually run out,and use harsher chemicals to get rid of the withdrawals,like cocaine,meth,>>>>>>e...ANYTHING to shake the opiate withdrawals,which in turn WILL have me BACK in the prison system.
    I've NEVER held a decent job this long,but thanks to Methadone screwing my head on straight,I have aterrific job...with insurance(dental,medical,optomitry,401-K),and other perks...BUT...if you continually fail UA's for sneaking opiates,it will only make your clinic visits harder and harder.But once you get to that dose that causes you to totally FORGET those pills,you will love life.....My addiction was so devastating that ,as a hairdresser,I refused to go to work when I ran out of pills.....eventually I lost my Barber license while in prison......So commit yourself to getting yourself to the dose that helps you,and makes you not want to ingest ANY other pill or drug in your body,and you'll be AMAZED at how you'll se life in a whole new way.
    God Bless You!
    and good luck
    EeeeK! forgive the rambling.Oh,and PLEASE don't think I'm promoting anything,but my own story,and what worked for ME.
    Hope this rambling reply helps...it helped me put things into prospective anyways.
    "

Gemma C is offline New Member

Angry

Methadone will not stop you feeling the effects of other opiates unless you take it for that long that your body builds up a tolorance to it. The only drugs that would stop you would be one that had an opiate 'blocker' in - say naltraxzone ( not sure if i spelt that right!).
    You must be careful not to overdose if you are going to use the two drugs together because you might not feel the effects straight away.
    I have been on methadone (liquid) for about 3 or 4 years now - as a >>>>>> substitute - and have found that depending on the dose I m taking, other opiates do still have an effect.
    Hope this helps.

D4Ta is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpF4 View Post
    Will methadone stop the affects of other opiates like oxycodone and hydrocodone? Say if i take a 10mg methadone pill in the morning and decide to take some lortab 10's later in the afternoon will the methadone stop the hydrocodone from effecting me??
    Not sure what you mean by "effecting" you, are you trying to ween yourself using methadone>?

zenith is offline Junior Member

Methadone has a blocking effect on other opiates when you are taking around 80mg or above on a daily basis. Less than this, and it may partially block the euphoric effects but not completely. Of course, doses of methadone over 20-30mg are likely to be fatal to those without a large tolerance to opiates.

chris235 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Hi, everyone. I'm new to your forum and don't know a lot about medications. Quess that is why I'm here. I'm taking Methadone, as of two months ago for my back and degenerative joints. Not sure if it is helping my Postherpetic Neuralgia. Must be. Facial not good at this time. I've been taking Klonopin for this which does help.
    I feel I need a brake through med for the Methadone, but don't know if they do this or what would be best to use. What is Hydrocodone? I feel I need to up my Methadone 5mg or change to something else (because I can not set at computer for as long as I would like to and pay during and next day with extra pain) but don't want to get into anything like oxycotin. I take a vicoden extra strength from dentist and does not seem to help out that much.
    Would appreciate any help on this also because of first time on Meth and don't know what can be taken along with it and if people do use a brake through med with it.
    Please if your taking Klonopin and methadone together please stop this is a deadly combination you can have a undetected arythmia and die PLEASE stop either the methadone or the benzo i have had several friends die from this combo and its just plain not safe at any dosage.
    chrisms1988 likes this.

Freek is offline New Member

Default methadone and other opiates/opioids

Hi, i am just registered myself here name is Freek and i am dutch, but i am quite amazed to see the amount of inproper information here, because the poster for example who asked if 10 mg methadone taken in the morning will or will not feel 10 mg hydro lateron, you will. Methadone above 80mg is called a blocking dose, not fully blocking, but 120 mg blocks about every other opiate aside from fentanyl probably.
    When methadone is started typically on a 30 mg dose in US clinics then it builds up in a human system and in five days max accumulation is reached by then max effect from the initial 30 mg's.
    After that dose goes up, until craving and possible WD's from say >>>>>> are gone, with 5-10 mg a week. What dose is the correct one differs for everbody, but mainly 80-120 mg are sufficient for most.
    Talking purely addiction here not pain that's another matter when it comes to methadone.
    Once a day dosing when the correct dose is reached is enough for most people and eliminates craving and WD then the goal is reached for methadone usage and a minimum recommended time of 2 years stable before thinking about slowly tapering down the dose can be thought about, tapering happens mainly in a recommended speed of 10% off the total dose a month.
    Looks slow and is slow, but necessary for methadone.
    For pain its required that methadone is taken in divided doses a day like 2-6 times a day on a dose who needs to be adjusted and titrated upwards until enough painrelief is present. Methadone is a very potent opioid, a lot stronger then morphine or oxycodone, but that is the reason for methadone occupying receptors in the brain, Mu's and more, other weaker opiates cannot override methadone and take the place at the receptors, hence no effect from other weaker opiates, but only when above a certain minimal, 80 mg, dose taken everyday at the least. Below that amount partial blockade takes place, other opiates can be felt, but less.
    In the hospital IV doses of 200-400 mg morphine did nothing when on 120 mg a day what did work for quite some pain was my normal 120 mg added by four times a day 60 mg obviously not delivered by the doc who would only do me in his word 'the immense favour' of four times a day 20 mg morphine IM.
    Methadone is also cheap an equivalent dose of oxycodone for example as in oxycontin is about ten times more expensive while methadone is mainly a way better painkiller, but luckily more and more US docs start to recognize methadone painkilling capabilities. For people without opiate tolerance methadone is lethal in a dose of 1mg/2.2 pounds bodyweight so when you weight 220 pound have no tolerance take 100 mg well. The same hypothetical person taking 50 mg for some days in a row experiences accumulation until a toxic level is reached and again well. Combining methadone with benzodiazepines is highly disrecommendable if really needed a very low dose of benzo has to be tried based on the reaction it can be titrated upwards until the desired effect is reached, especially xanax is very dangerous with methadone.
    I saw words about buprenorhine having 'ingredients' who make other opiates ineffective, no not really buprenorphine's property is just a very strong affinity for the Mu receptor, being a partial agonist/antagonist also making it have a ceiling effect above 32 mg's no more relief, and a few more taking bupe when on methadone will throw you into immediat WD, dont.
    Taking bupe on top of >>>>>> or whatever other opiate also throws you into immediat WD, dont as that is called a precipitated WD hell on earth. Subuxone contains naloxone a full antagonist used to reverse an OD from say methadone or >>>>>>, but put in subuxone to disencourage IV use, but buprenorphine requires about seven times more naloxone compared to the average full agonist like say >>>>>> to reverse an OD.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards, Freek. ps my name is really Freek its a dutch name yes i know its pronounced as freak, but that's not me. My Gf living in the UK cant say freek makes it frake that works.

bradshaw91 is offline New Member

Hey montana instead of methadone ask your doc to put you on a duralgesic patch it delivers medicine for 24hrs a day up to three days and you can take 5mg up to 10mg of hydrocodeine for breakthrough pain

bradshaw91 is offline New Member

Hey kccooley mack your full of it kicking long term methadone use is harder than kicking >>>>>> for one it can take six mos to a year to kick methadone use if your a methadone junkie. . I know people who say they suffer from numbness in their extremities along with deep bone pain without their methadone fix, This is along with the normal opiate sickness like vomiting, sweats, and diarrhea. You never wanna quit methadone cold turkey. In my opinion all other drugs should be done cold turkey at most youll suffer a week for severe junkies maybe a mos. This a whole lot better than six mos to a year.

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bradshaw91 View Post
    Hey kccooley mack your full of it kicking long term methadone use is harder than kicking >>>>>> for one it can take six mos to a year to kick methadone use if your a methadone junkie. . I know people who say they suffer from numbness in their extremities along with deep bone pain without their methadone fix, This is along with the normal opiate sickness like vomiting, sweats, and diarrhea. You never wanna quit methadone cold turkey. In my opinion all other drugs should be done cold turkey at most youll suffer a week for severe junkies maybe a mos. This a whole lot better than six mos to a year.
    Hey Bradshaw, you are responding to a post from April 2008. I doubt the original poster will get your response. Just wanted to let you know. Take care!!

zb420recovered is offline New Member

Default what who said methadone wasnt as addicting as oc

what who said methadone wasnt as addicting as oc is just straidght dumb or talking from inexperience. methaone is more addicting. its just as bad as >>>>>>. its made to be a synthetic opiate...specifically synthetic hroin for heoin abusers to try to get clean by weaning. ive been addicted to >>>>>>, pills and specifically methaone...>>>>>> and oc physical dependency last up to 3-4 days. while methadone wd and physical wd last any where from 2 weeks to a month. ive been there done tht andunless youve had a major experience too quit misleading people.
    Last edited by zb420recovered; 02-28-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: mispelling.

DR.Eladio is offline New Member

Default Only if..

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpF4 View Post
    The two drugs Methadone & oxycodone will only counteract each other if taken at the same time as one another. which at that point will decrease the affect, but will still help with the extended pain relief long term.