Methadone in comparison to Hydrocodone
    Sweet Skeet is offline New Member

Question Methadone in comparison to Hydrocodone

I am on methadone (liquid) 36 mg per day. I want to come off the methadone back onto my hydrocodone (Lorcet 10/650 mg). I am wondering how I would go about doing this. Should I just stop the methadone "cold turkey" and then start the hydrocodone after a day or so? Has anyone ever had experience in doing this? I just don't know how to go about doing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to be safe about doing this, but I do want off the methadone because at 36 mg a day it is doing NOTHING at all for my pain. Thanks!

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Can I ask why you would want to go on a weak opiate like hydrocodone.
    If you do decide to jump to hydrocodone then you must wean down slowly.The golden rule for methadone detoxing is 10% every 2-4 weeks.
    One other thing I should point out.At 36mg of methadone a day your going to need a minimum of 135mgs a day of hydrocodone.
    If you are switching do to pain then you should be on a sustained release opiate like ms contin or oxycontin.There is also the duragesic patch which is fentanyl.
    The methadone you've been taking will likely leave you with a tolerence to high for hydrocodone and it won't work for you.Good luck.....Dave