Lortab 10/500 vs Norco 10/325
    touchdown5 is offline New Member

Default Lortab 10/500 vs Norco 10/325

I have been taking Lortab 10/500 for several years as I have a severe back problem of which the neurologists advised against surgury. My Dr. just switched me to Norco 10/325. Now I know that the two main differences is the amount of codiene and acetaminophen. Is there any other difference other than the lesser amount of acetaminophen in the Norco that would cause it not to work as effectively? I even added a tablet of acetaminophen to my dose and it didn't help.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown5 View Post
    I have been taking Lortab 10/500 for several years as I have a severe back problem of which the neurologists advised against surgury. My Dr. just switched me to Norco 10/325. Now I know that the two main differences is the amount of codiene and acetaminophen. Is there any other difference other than the lesser amount of acetaminophen in the Norco that would cause it not to work as effectively? I even added a tablet of acetaminophen to my dose and it didn't help.

Neither lortab or the norco have codeine in them. Both medications are hydrocodone, not codeine. They both have 10mg of hydrocodone, the lortab has 500mg of apap and the norco has 325mg of apap. It won't help taking an acetaminophen tablet on the side. They don't work that way.

If you've been taking the lortab for several years the dr is probably attempting to protect your liver. You don't need to be taking acetaminophen tablets in addition to the norco. Tell the dr it isn't working if that is what it takes. There are medications he can give you that don't have acetaminophen in them at all that don't affect your liver. Vicoprofen is a combination of hydrocodone and ibuprofen and is metabolized through the kidneys rather than the liver. There are also other meds such as oxycodone with no acetaminophen or ibuprofen either one.

It's best to shoot straight with the dr. There has to be a reason for making the change after several years. I would bet it's because your liver count is too high after taking the lortabs with so much apap after these years. Do yourself a favor and talk to the dr. That is what they are for. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

dhoover82 is offline New Member

The Company that makes the Drug matters. I no longer take any type opioid pain reliever because I had surgery. In your case since you have been advised surgery is not the answer then try to purchase name brand or generics from Watson or Endo Pharmacies. Even your Pharmacy will tell you there is no difference in the meds and they are required by law to have the same amount of hydrocodone in them. Well look at the name brand Tylenol , it was pulled from the shelves last year because many pills after being tested had more acetaminophen in each pill than the label said. Walgreens pulled the extra strength bottles off the shelve. I understand your complaint but if buying generics find a pharmacy that carries Watson or Endo brands.