Lorazepam (Ativan) Equivalencies
    joe27 is offline New Member

Default Lorazepam (Ativan) Equivalencies

I have been trying Xanax (alprazolam) Valium (diazepam) and Ativan (Lorazepam) for generalized anxiety disorder. The widely published equivalent dosages of these drugs is 10mg Valium = .5 mg Xanax = 1 mg Ativan.

My personal experience is that the 10mg Valium = .75 - 1 mg Xanax = 3 mg Ativan as far as the relief I feel from taking these different drugs. I've been taking only one dose a day at these levels for about a month and sometimes not taking any at all so my tolerance should be low.

I've researched in depth these drugs and I really prefer the pharmacology of Lorazepam (Ativan) over the other two drugs. It has a half life far less than Valium so there is less chance of tolerance build up, yet it has muscle relaxing properties like Valium and less chance of the rebound effect Xanax is known for.

Yet I'm concerned I have to take 3 times the published equivalent. The only thing I can think of is that the Valium is the brand name Valium (blue pills) and the Xanax is the brand name Xanax (made by Roche I believe) where has both the Lorazepam I have are not the Ativan brand, one made by an Indian company, which I didn't have high expectations for, and the other though is Trapax brand (yellow 2.5 mg pills) made by Wyeth-Whitehall in South America. Wyeth is the company that makes the Ativan brand.

Is it that I just got weak Lorazepam, or have others experience the same thing. I know Ativan as a slower onset so you don't 'feel' it coming on as much as Xanax or Valium, but even 2 hours later, I barely feel anything at 1-2 mg doses, whereas 10mg of Valium or 1mg of Xanax really hit me from about 20 minutes and last 3-5 hours.

I have the opportunity to try the Wyeth-Lederle brand which is sold out of the UK under the actual Ativan brand. Would it be a waste of money probably. I'm really trying to determine if I just have poor quality Lorazepam or the effect are just too gradual for me. I'd hate to build up a huge tolerance taking 3mg of Lorazepam everyday thinking it is the equivalent to 10mg Valium or 1 mg Xanax.

lydiap009 is offline Member

ive had all of the drugs youre speaking of and im convinced ativan is very weak. the only good think is that it acts within 4minutes from when you take it. but i prefer the valium. always have. Ativan is much weaker.

livid is offline Member

yes I used ativan everyday for about 2 years along with paxil. It is definitely very weak. I was taking it 3 to 4 times a day and not getting great benefits, but some.
    Xanax as low as .5 however can knock me out if I sit down long enough. This is using it with depakote since my meds have changed... this in itself could possibly make a huge difference as depakote makes benzos leave your system much slower and can intensify their effect.
    As far as the anti anxiety effects of the meds mentioned I would put them in this order (for me, everyone is different of course) Xanax (best), valium, ativan... however if you happen to get Rhohypnol (which of course is not for sale in the US) I don't think you'll find anything stronger.

Something else I want to add, I sleep better taking 2 mg of xanax than if I took ambien.

livid is offline Member

and let me also say I went thru severe withdrawal when taken off of the ativan after that long time period. It sucked big time. But any benzo would do that to you after prolonged use, and I'm guessing the stronger the med the more and quicker you would become dependent.

joe27 is offline New Member

How long were you on it and what was your average total dailing intake of the drug per day?

livid is offline Member

I used ativan for a little over 2 years. At the end I was taking 4 to 5 mg daily. Usually 2 mg in the morning, 1 mg about every 4 hours after.
    Well actually at the end I overdosed on a huge amount, believe it was 58 mg.