Klonopin And Xanax...Help would be nice
    Fletcherwitch is offline New Member

Default Klonopin And Xanax...Help would be nice

Hello All,

i have had severe panic disorder and social phobia...and and have been on Lexapro 10mg 1x a day and Klonopin 1mg 2x a day for the past 2 months now.....and recently i have had to been hospitalized 3 times for panic attacks and have just felt extreme anxiety all the time...so last week I went to the doctor and she added Xanax 1mg as needed for when i have attacks and to call here within the next week to see if im still having symptoms and maybe adjust the meds more......now in no way do i abuse these medications nor am i a drug user...

i guess the question i am asking is should i just be on one fast-acting Benzo or wat? ANY advice would be greatfully appriciated.

with love,
    Fletcher

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Fletcherwitch View Post
    Hello All,

i have had severe panic disorder and social phobia...and and have been on Lexapro 10mg 1x a day and Klonopin 1mg 2x a day for the past 2 months now.....and recently i have had to been hospitalized 3 times for panic attacks and have just felt extreme anxiety all the time...so last week I went to the doctor and she added Xanax 1mg as needed for when i have attacks and to call here within the next week to see if im still having symptoms and maybe adjust the meds more......now in no way do i abuse these medications nor am i a drug user...

i guess the question i am asking is should i just be on one fast-acting Benzo or wat? ANY advice would be greatfully appriciated.

with love,
    Fletcher

Fletcher ... I can tell you that the combination of xanax and klonopin got me into MAJOR trouble. I took them for a very long time, but it had to start somewhere. And it started exactly where you're at for me.

The drs that typically RX these medication together will tell you to take the klonopin 2-3 times per day, usually at a small dose to begin with like .5mg up to 1mg per dose like you describe. Then the xanax in 1mg doses only as needed for panic attacks.

Let me promise you that if you do this for any longer than about a month or two you will start developing dependency problems to those medications. I guarantee it even if you take them EXACTLY as you've been prescribed. You WILL begin to build a tolerance and pretty soon the two klonopin will become three, the one xanax a day will increase to three. It won't be because you are trying to abuse them, it will be because you've built a tolerance and you require that much for the same medicinal dose effects.

When I finally stopped taking these medications I was up to a minimum of 15mg and up to 20mg of xanax per day and 6-8mg of klonopin. Granted I began abusing them after a while but not in the beginning. You talk about a MAJOR FREAKIN W/D??????? Not to minimize what others on this forum are going through with detox from opiate pain medications but benzo w/d from these meds you are taking makes pain pills look like a child's game.

Detox from benzos can OFTEN cause seizures, horrid evil dreams, electric shock syndrome, all kinds of TERRIBLE side effects. It's very dangerous. I have become a militant against benzo abuse. You need to watch this very carefully. You should find some other ways to deal with your anxiety, things like exercise, new hobbies, reading self-help books, regular visits to church, something.

I am not minimizing your health condition. Please understand that. Some people DO require a benzo. I would at least cut it back to the xanax ONLY and see how you do. PLEASE be careful, not that I'm judging you, I just really hate to see anyone end up where I was at one time with this. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Fletcherwitch is offline New Member

Thank you very very much.....i will def. take all hat in to concisderation....and thanks for actually caring :-)

i wish panick attacks on NO ONE...they are so terrible words cant describe unless u have one urself....

so u think i should ask the doc. just to rx me xanax and boot the clonazepam....is the lexapro a problem?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Fletcherwitch View Post
    Thank you very very much.....i will def. take all hat in to concisderation....and thanks for actually caring :-)

i wish panick attacks on NO ONE...they are so terrible words cant describe unless u have one urself....

so u think i should ask the doc. just to rx me xanax and boot the clonazepam....is the lexapro a problem?

That is what I would recommend. I don't think it's wise to be taking all those benzos. I'm not an authority on anti-depressants to be honest with you. The drs finally decided after giving me a bunch of them that I was just mad, and not depressed. I stopped taking them probably ten years ago. But if you need the lexapro it will be okay to take the 1mg of xanax per the dr orders with it. Just please watch the xanax. I hate all benzos, but I understand some people need them. They're just SOOOO addictive, possibly the most addictive of any RX medication. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

KayFrederick is offline New Member

Hello. I have been taking klonopin for ten years. I began with .5 and eventually went to 1mg at bedtime. After awhile of taking the drug I did notice the need to take more to continue on receiving the same benefits as when I began taking the drug. I backed off on the drug for a week substituting with herbal remedies to bring the tolerance level back down and then returned to the regular cycle again and that works for me. And I contiune doing that when I need to. I refuse to go up over 1mg and have had less then perfect days but it has worked well for me. No dependency problems Thank God. I even stopped it and switched over to xanax tiny dose but switched back over. Yes if you cannot seem to help yourself by taking more and more then the drug is not for you. But I have found great results with the drug.

gregorsvenson is offline New Member

I deeply sympathize with your pain as one who is a 54 year old road warrior who hasn't yet pulled the plug. I have, under a physicians care (usually psychiatrists) have done trials and extended use periods, of almost every psychoactive drug available for severe depression and panic disorder. Early on I learned that Xanax is a medication that should not exist. It seems like salvation when first taken, but tolerance sets in as fast as >>>>>>, and before long it is not uncommon, (for those who have learned to be brutally honest) for a Xanax user to start self-adjusting their dose upward. I would get a months supply or 120 1 mg tabs and use them up in a week or less. Then I'd suffer the dangerous and terrible suffering of going without the 2nd week mostly bedridden, week 3 would find me feeling really lousy but able to leave my home and see people, full of resolve to never put myself through this again, week 4 would find me waiting on pins and needles for that next months refill - still deceiving myself that I'd take them as prescribed. Finally I'd get that next refill in my hands, open the bottle and rejoice at the quantity within, then 5-7 days later coming out of the amnesic blackout and looking at nothing but the bottom of yet another months supply gone.

I went through rehab for Xanax back in 2000. At some point a few years later when my doctor became convinced of my recovery and the suffering I was barely enduring, I was prescribed Klonapin 1mg twice a day, along with a firm and wise previso that I'd receive nothing more than that medication at that dose level. For many years now taking Klonapin as originally prescribed has worked well enough most of the time. It is a slow onset, long acting medication that once titrated just keeps chugging along. I have other meds for my other conditions that probably enhance it's action some.

I also learned than there are going to be many times when I must just "sit on my hands" and endure certain periods of suffering. I've attempted suicide 3 times since 1995, and I know that right now I'm grateful I've survived. I was saying to a friend just last night that my life seems to be like the universe itself with almost equal amounts of matter and antimatter, the fact that the universe contains just a slim margin more of matter than antimatter, is what allows our universe and everything in it to exist. My life is just like that too.

If you want to continue to receive the (at times) unimaginable amount of joy and wonder that life will provide, you must be willing (once Doctors and medicines have done the best they can) to suffer and persevere through the deep misery we experience. If you can learn to do that, you will become a road-warrior too, and pass on the good news to those not yet experienced with surviving mental illness that one can survive.