itchy from oxycontin
    iwario is offline New Member

Default itchy from oxycontin

My doctor put me on oxycontin (low dose) and I am experienceing itching on my legs and arms. It drives me crazy ,I already do use lotion on my legs and arms, I even tried Benadryl itch prevenitive on my skin ,that don`t help either. I call my doctor and he just says use more lotion. I hate this.Then the back pain comes back before the 12 hours is up,like the pill lasts 8 then the pain returns intensely.Anyone have that itch taking oxycontin? Does it go away and days of use? I am on it only a week and don`t like it.

LB

painkiller is offline Junior Member

Getting itchy is very common. Try taking some Claritin or other allergy medication like Zyrtec or Allegra. Opiates release histamines so taking an anti-histamine helps keep the "itchies" under control.

-painkiller

bigcor256 is offline New Member

the reason u itch is because oxy contin has opiates

dsturgeon is offline New Member

Some "under-the-skin" itching can be expected while taking any opiate-derivative type medication but from the information I've read/studied, excessive itching, especially that from a low dose, CAN be concluded as an allergic reaction. If this itching persists after your first couple doses and continues to be bothersome, I would contact your physician immediately.

As far as the pain control, if the medication is not treating your pain as it should, talk to your doctor. Many times, individuals not recieving adequate pain control via narcotic analgesics, tend to take more of the medication once the original dose has wore off. This can lead to substantial addiction as well as serious side-effects such as slow/labored breathing and dangerously slow heart-rate. If your pain is not being controlled on your current milligram, talk with your doctor to find a better solution.

Good luck

~D

<center>~Proud owner of chronic back pain w/a pinch of sciatica since 1998!~</center>

birdiegirl is offline New Member

can anyone tell me what the symptoms of withdrawing from oxycontin are? i have been taking them steadily for about 6 months. when i stop taking them it seems like my whole body has aches and pains.

banksy is offline New Member

you just described the effects of withdrawal.
    and for the original poster piritin works well, you will however miss the itching once your tolerance level lifts

short is the pain, long is the adornment

sfc420 is offline Member

The symptoms of withdrawal from Oxycontin are much more than that. Psychological depence will leave you craving the drug like crazy once your off of it, you might break into cold sweats at night as well. good luck with that one

crony419 is offline Junior Member

The itching will subside with tolerance. Hell, i've heard people complain that it didn't itch. lol. Withdrawl will leave you with pain so intense that you feel like you actually need the drug for the pain, but in actuality it is your withdrawl symptoms. You wont be able to sleep, back pain, sweats, tremors, constipation etc... My best advice to you for opiate withdrawl is to find something much weaker like vicodin, and take those in decreasing amounts over the course of a few days or more. 5 first day, 4 second day, and so on. It is one of the only things that will relieve your symptoms. I also recommend laxitive, multi-vitamins, and something like vicodin to appease the opiate withdrawl. THE ITCH WILL GO AWAY THOUGH

roxy43 is offline New Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by iwario View Post
    My doctor put me on oxycontin (low dose) and I am experienceing itching on my legs and arms. It drives me crazy ,I already do use lotion on my legs and arms, I even tried Benadryl itch prevenitive on my skin ,that don`t help either. I call my doctor and he just says use more lotion. I hate this.Then the back pain comes back before the 12 hours is up,like the pill lasts 8 then the pain returns intensely.Anyone have that itch taking oxycontin? Does it go away and days of use? I am on it only a week and don`t like it.

LB
    So what ever came of your itch? I too hate itching it seems like I itch more when I take stronger time released pills the lower does of short acting opiates don't bother me as much.Once I get that dose going high and start getting where I can nod Oh ya I itch like a mother! I never used to so who knows...
    Last edited by roxy43; 03-18-2012 at 10:02 PM.