Intrathecal Morphine Pump Water Weight Gain
    tazzysteepee is offline New Member

Default Intrathecal Morphine Pump Water Weight Gain

I am a new member and am 50 yrs old. I have always maintained a weight of between 125-128#'s until I started on the Intrathecal Morphine Pump. I have gained almost 40#. I am now on 2 different diurectics with not much help at all. The water pills have seemed to stop the weight but I am not losing any weight at all. This is becoming quite a problem. Has anyone had this type of experience with this problem and did anything help at all? I have researched enough to know that diet and/or exercising are of no help. I am currently on Lasix 20 mg OD and Spironolactone 25 mg. BID. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tazzysyeepee

patty davis

brayme is offline New Member

Default Intrathecul pump and extreme weight gain

I read your post. It is also happening to me. In 3 months I have gone from a size 4 to a size 12. My doctor denies any relationship between the morphine pump and weight gain although I have maintained the same weight, pre-pump, for 30 years. Now I am finding many others who have also experienced this. What did youy end up doing? How are you doing now? Please answer this. I hope you are still there...or someone is. Thanks!
    Mary

Selfishself is offline Member

Default Morphine

Before I started my pain medication (7 months of 160mg OxyContin and three months of 60mg Morphine) I weighed around 150lbs. After the past 10 months my weight shot up to 200lbs.

Although I am not taking Morphine the same way you do, I have always thought there was a huge connection between opiates and weight gain. This has happened to all my friends.

I am a day and half off pain medication so I hope some of this weight comes off.

Selfish