Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By nostalgictoxins
  • 1 Post By vduda
  • 1 Post By Papa B.
  • 1 Post By mbartley
info on xanax bars
    Bambam is offline New Member

Default info on xanax bars

Could someone please tell what a xanax bar looks like? I can't find a picture. Also, are these highly addictive and hard to get off of? I have a teenager who is popping them and I'm worried about her, don't know how to get her off...
    THANKS!!!

lefty is offline Member

You will find pictures of Xanax "bars" at
    http://www.drugs.com/image_search.html

For best results, search by the generic name alprazolam

Xanax belongs to the benzodiazepine family of drugs. More info at
    http://www.drugs.com/cons/Benzodiazepines.html

Yes, regular Xanax dosing can can lead to dependence.
    If your teenager has been taking Xanax for a while, stopping the drug suddenly (or even reducing the dosage significantly) can lead to withdrawal syndrome (even seizures). It would be best to get professional help if at all possible.

The following website may help you find more info
    http://www.drugabuse.gov/drugpages/prescription.html

Good luck

quote:Originally posted by lefty

You will find pictures of Xanax "bars" at
    http://www.drugs.com/image_search.html

For best results, search by the generic name alprazolam

Xanax belongs to the benzodiazepine family of drugs. More info at
    http://www.drugs.com/cons/Benzodiazepines.html

Yes, regular Xanax dosing can can lead to dependence.
    If your teenager has been taking Xanax for a while, stopping the drug suddenly (or even reducing the dosage significantly) can lead to withdrawal syndrome (even seizures). It would be best to get professional help if at all possible.

The following website may help you find more info
    http://www.drugabuse.gov/drugpages/prescription.html

Good luck

Thanks Lefty!!! I appreciate your time and response
    Bambam

nostalgictoxins is offline New Member

Cool Honest Answer from Ex-Pillhead

Xanax bars are little white rectangles that contain four tiny pieces (with lines to be split if necessary). Some people take the whole bar, most people split them though. They can also be found in smaller dosages - small pills that I've only seen in small blue triangles and little tan ovals (the tan ovals can be split in half).
    Xanies (as we call them here, at least) are meant to be anti-depressents and relieve both anxiety, panic and panic attacks, and help insomnia.
    When taking them to get high, it's just an elated version of what it's meant for. Other than slight forgetfulness and slight disorientation at times (i.e. don't take them and drive and stuff) I don't believe they're much more harmful than when taking as prescribed (depending, of course, on how many she's popping at once).
    The time you'd really have to worry is the other time kids use them - to come down from extreme uppers like aderol or coke. That can kill you. Mixing drugs is bad and even most druggies know that.
    Are they addictive? Yes, but honestly Xanies have kind of a pathetic withdrawal. I used to be horrid - and out of everything I quit, quiting Xanies was like leaving behind cake. You want it, but you don't really go through any withdrawal symptoms. You may get a wee bet sweaty randomly for a day or two.
    Out of personal experience - that withdrawal/siezure stuff is... well.. bull.
    Drinking water always helps, though.

If your worried about your daughter I wouldn't be as worried - there are so many harder mainstream drugs that do vastly worse amounts of damage. Hydros, oxies, and >>>>>>e's big and in pill form now too.
    I would also look into why she's popping them.
    I started taking them because I have nervous issues and small panic attacks but no insurance and so no doctor to ask for help, no money for therapy and all that, and who wants to admit to being nervous and scared of everything anyway?
    Maybe she has some issues she's afraid or ashamed to admit to, and is taking them to honestly feel better. Perhaps she isn't truly abusing them.
    I'd talk to her before getting 'professional help' because then, she's going to look at it as you attacking her before she's had any chance to defend herself.

I can't really give you any advice other than trying to be understanding and supportive about it, but I hope I at least gave you a better perspective on the whole thing and calmed your nerves a bit.

Feel free to get back to me if I can help you on anything else.
    Last edited by nostalgictoxins; 02-02-2008 at 06:44 PM.
    disabledleo likes this.

vduda is offline Member

I have to disagree with nostalgic on the point of not worrying. Benzos are one of the worst addicting narcotics out there if used for prolonged periods. On the other hand, medicinal for Anxiety Disorder and Panic Attacks. I was able to kick a 3,500 mg a day opiate addiction, but still have problems with the benzo. Probably because it helps with my Anxiety Disorder and Insomnia. Benzodiaspines and Alcohol are the two drugs you can die from if u quit "cold turkey". I just stopped for 4 and half months and my body could not adjust. For the first month I experienced over 120 seizures and was bedridden. This was my second time through detox. The first time I could not quit either. Now I only take .5 mg before sleep compared to 40 to 50 mg a day habit I had before. About 5 hours before my nightly dose my muscles are twitching, my hands and feet start to hurt, anxiety, sweating and so on. It is a very addicting med. Whatever you do, don't pressure her to quit cold turkey eventhough that is what I did and it almost killed me. Instead tapper with a longer acting weaker benzo like Klonopin. Talk to a doctor who is knowledgeable about benzo withdraw. It can be a killer. God Bless

1Abilene is offline New Member

My stepson just got off of them, he'd been taking them for a year, they are bad news if your not using for medical reasons, he started taking them for nerves and soon it was 10 to 15 at a time many times a day, he has very little memories of what happened to him during this time, thank God he is trying to get off of them, he has quit cold turkey and a trip to the emergency is what got him off of them, he thought he was going to die. So please tell him what ever he does get off of them before they kill him
    1Abilene

Papa B. is offline New Member

We just did an intervention with my stepson. It was a tough one, but he did agree to go to rehab. All we can do now is hope for the best and stay united as a family and friends. He consumed 90 Xanax and 90 Valiums this past week. He finally admitted to taking Xanax for a year; however last Summer, he was diagnosed with a severe medical condition and his doctor prescribed this medication to allay anxiety so as to not agitate the healing process following surgery. He is smart, well read, manipulative and a task master at verbal judo. Finally, he admitted to his ability to stop taking any drug, cold turkey or gradually, but he met his match with the Benzos. He said that he could not control the urge to keep using and could not kick this beast. That is significant for this man. I am convinced that this should be more than a Schedule IV drug. Please wish us all luck.

My nephew is doing well now. Microsoft certified, brillant, about to marry a gal who is getting her PhD. He spent 6 months in rehab. He climbed the wall in a hospital a few years ago. He disconnected all of his IV's and up he went like Spiderman... seriously!!!! I asked him, "What was the main drug that put you over the edge"? He replied without missing a beat, "Xanax, that stuff is wicked".

Please wish us luck and send good vibes our way.

mbartley is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by nostalgictoxins View Post
    Xanax bars are little white rectangles that contain four tiny pieces (with lines to be split if necessary). Some people take the whole bar, most people split them though. They can also be found in smaller dosages - small pills that I've only seen in small blue triangles and little tan ovals (the tan ovals can be split in half).
    Xanies (as we call them here, at least) are meant to be anti-depressents and relieve both anxiety, panic and panic attacks, and help insomnia.
    When taking them to get high, it's just an elated version of what it's meant for. Other than slight forgetfulness and slight disorientation at times (i.e. don't take them and drive and stuff) I don't believe they're much more harmful than when taking as prescribed (depending, of course, on how many she's popping at once).
    The time you'd really have to worry is the other time kids use them - to come down from extreme uppers like aderol or coke. That can kill you. Mixing drugs is bad and even most druggies know that.
    Are they addictive? Yes, but honestly Xanies have kind of a pathetic withdrawal. I used to be horrid - and out of everything I quit, quiting Xanies was like leaving behind cake. You want it, but you don't really go through any withdrawal symptoms. You may get a wee bet sweaty randomly for a day or two.
    Out of personal experience - that withdrawal/siezure stuff is... well.. bull.
    Drinking water always helps, though.

If your worried about your daughter I wouldn't be as worried - there are so many harder mainstream drugs that do vastly worse amounts of damage. Hydros, oxies, and >>>>>>e's big and in pill form now too.
    I would also look into why she's popping them.
    I started taking them because I have nervous issues and small panic attacks but no insurance and so no doctor to ask for help, no money for therapy and all that, and who wants to admit to being nervous and scared of everything anyway?
    Maybe she has some issues she's afraid or ashamed to admit to, and is taking them to honestly feel better. Perhaps she isn't truly abusing them.
    I'd talk to her before getting 'professional help' because then, she's going to look at it as you attacking her before she's had any chance to defend herself.

I can't really give you any advice other than trying to be understanding and supportive about it, but I hope I at least gave you a better perspective on the whole thing and calmed your nerves a bit.

Feel free to get back to me if I can help you on anything else.
    I would have to disagree...benzo withdrawal can kill you, opiate withdrawal cant

justinrb is offline New Member

Smile reply

regarding the step-son that cannot kick the benzs.
    Religion, like Christianity helped a lot of people kick their bad habits. Jesus helped my Dad, he was rehab for Alcohol. I have also been through drug and alcohol therapy. There is a quote that I liked to remember.
    Focus on your giants, you stumble. Focus on God, your giants tumble.-Max Lucado.

siteseer is offline New Member

Default xanax bars

A bar is equal to one pill. Also you asked if this drug is habitual and the answer is yes. Your daughter shoul be admitted to a rehab center for withdrawl from the drug. Your family doctor should have info on rehab centers in your area.
    Good luck.

dr.greenthumb is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bambam View Post
    Could someone please tell what a xanax bar looks like? I can't find a picture. Also, are these highly addictive and hard to get off of? I have a teenager who is popping them and I'm worried about her, don't know how to get her off...
    THANKS!!!
    xanax bars are not highly addictive and can be hard to get off of the only thing i would worry about is when she is on them becuase they make you do stupid things.

jenniferlawrence720 is offline New Member

Actually Xanax at any milligram are HIGHLY addicyive and the withdrawl can kill you! You can have seizures just like Alcohol withdrawls, these 2 classes of substances are the 2 that can kill you when in withdrawl let alone the chance of an overdose.
    If used correctly Xanax can help with anxiety & other disorders. Someone who NEEDS xanax would not be getting "Bars" (2 mg Xanax) perscribed to them in the begining. If so you are not seeing a very good Dr.
    Not trying to sound rude however, I struggled with 1 hell of a benzodiazepine addiction & have been clean for a little over 2 years. I had panic attacks through out my life & that doesnt go away easily. I am on a very closely monitored regimen of Kolonopin now (.5mgs). I guess I am just trying to say think before you act.... The Consequences are a BIOTCH!

kimberlygussler is offline New Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dr.greenthumb View Post
    xanax bars are not highly addictive and can be hard to get off of the only thing i would worry about is when she is on them becuase they make you do stupid things.

when most people pop zannys bars all of there regrets are really on them pills they make you act like i tottally different person Your hormones act up thats why some people call them panty droppers. zannys make You forget things but if your bipolar or depressed they help you alot But sometimes they are really bad for You but im bipolar and i take them and it helps alot im just like a whole different person. i dont think about past relationships..zannys really keep me motivated on what im doing. But that bad part about them is when you lose all your ???? and forget everything that happend a hour ago It sucks about that part..But other than that ZANNYS ARE GREAT hahahahha lmao

boltonstriker6 is offline New Member

You are clearly stupid, simple as that. If you consumed 3,500 mg of any opiate you would be dead, but nice try.