Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bbqboy123
Hydrocodone & Oxycodone Question
    righteye is offline New Member

Default Hydrocodone & Oxycodone Question

I don't know where this exactly belongs, but I guess this is the best possible place.

Alright, here's my question(s):

1. What is the difference between hydrocodone and oxycodone (by oxycodone I'm talking about Percocet or Percodan, not the brand OxyContin)?
    2. Which is stronger @ the same dosage; hydrocodone or oxycodone?
    3. Which is stronger @ the same dosage; oxycodone (Percocet) or OxyContin?

Hopefully some of you can answer these questions.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 02-07-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Grammatical/spelling errors.

Anonymous Guest

Lightbulb

Oxycodone is stronger than hydrocodone.

Time release is just the pill slowly releases the drug in your body over a 8-12 hours period.

Thats what I know. I hope it was helpful.....Krissy

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Oxy is about 2.5 times stronger then hydro mg/mg.
    A 10mg percocet (which is an IR) would feel stronger then a 10mg OC the first 4 hours, it's still the same amount of oxycodone though. The OC which is an ER should last at least 8 hours. OC releases aprox 40% of it's dose immediately, then the rest at around the 4 hour mark, ...so they say.

withak is offline Member

righteye-
    what i've noticed as a hydrocodone user is that the normal hydrocodone, even though it's weaker than oxycodone, works (feels better) on me. i could take a hydro and feel one thing and then try an oxycodone (percocet, percodan) the next day and expect to feel the same thing only more intense, and i don't. i feel something all togther different. well, maybe not "altogether" different, but just different. the oxy MAY be very similiar to the hydro, but it DOES have SOMETHING different in it's make up, or it wouldn't be considered a different drug. and it's the little something that makes it different that affects me differently.

oh, and just in case you weren't sure on what some of "cat's meow" was talking about (there were alot of abbreviations - and you seem somewhat new to this world), they mean:
    IR - instant release. the drug let's loose in your body right away, or very soon after taking it.
    OC - oxycontin
    ER - extended release, and cat's meow went on to give a good description of what that is...

cat's meow -
    please don't be offended that i elaborated a bit on your post...i just wanted us all to be as clear as possible for righteye....thanks for your knowledge...

oldbroad is offline New Member

Besides what others have said, there are other differences besides the technical ones between the two meds.

Although Oxycodone is considered stronger, some people (like me) have weird reactions to it. When Percocet was Rx after outpatient surgery for me about 20 years ago, it made the pain worse, made me irritable and kept me from being able to sleep at all. Of course, when I reported this to the doctor, they thought I was asking for something stronger and refused to give me anything else. I quit taking the Percocet and instead, used the Tylenol #4 and Fiorinal I had on hand for migraines and got much better pain relief.

When I got into Pain Management, they asked what meds I had taken in the past and how well each had helped pain. I reported my experience with Percocet and to my surprise, the doctor nodded his head. Evidently I'm not the only person who has this paradoxical reaction to Oxycodone.

Another big difference is that Hydrocodone can be called into the pharmacy, Oxycodone has to have a written Rx every time.

Sallycaliz is offline New Member

If a doctor puts u on hydrocodone but u perfer oxycodone r they allowed to give u what works better for u. From reading the post they don't seem to b much differant

Nashville Barbie is offline New Member

I was prescribed Narco after my scar revision. It was labeled as hydrocodone. I felt horrible. My legs ached, I had memory loss, I would nod out. I hate that stuff! Now I had a augmentation & lift done last year and was prescribed loratabs and Percocets. Both of them worked fine. So I had my doctor change my script yesterday and they tried to tell me that Narco was the same. I have them the bottle and told them they could have the >>>>. Thank god they gave me Percocets. Total difference. I noticed on the Percocet bottle it is labeled as oxycodone. From what I have looked up loratabs are labeled as hydrocodone. Both Percocets and loratabs feel the same to me though. If this is confusing excuse me, I am under influence. Lol

bbqboy123 is offline New Member

Anyone here that is thinking about changing from hydro to oxy be extremely careful. This may not happen to everyone but I was on 10/325 norcos x3 for 5 years. If the pain was stronger I could take a few more for a few days and then go back to x3. My insurance changed and I went from Kaiser to private and a pain management clinic. They changed me to 10mg oxy x3. I guess I was na

bbqboy123 is offline New Member

Default hydro vs oxy

Anyone thinking of switching from hydro to oxy be EXTREMELY careful. I was in a car accident in 2006 and was given vicodin. ( I have 4 bulging discs in my lumbar spine, degenerative disc disease and arthritis in the articulating facets of my lumbar spine.) Over the next FIVE years I increased from 1 5/500 a day to 3 10/325 norcos a day. I found that if I had a flareup I could take 1-2 extra a day and then go back to 3x. My insurance changed and I went from Kaiser to private and a pain management clinic. The PA had my chart, all my dosing info and yet changed me from 3x 10/325 norcos to 4x 15mg oxycodone ( that's double the dose). They tell you that they are metabolized in your liver the same way but for me that wasn't the case. Oxy's made me feel that I had more pain. So I tried the method from before and took a few extra for a few days and then went back to 3-4 a day. Next thing I know I'm in the ER with radical abdominal pain and vomiting. I was told that I had pancreatitis. The symptoms of pancreatitis and opiate withdrawal are basically the same in the early stages. Since a DR told me I had pancreatitis he must be right. (not) Over the course of the next year I kept having to take more oxy to fight the phantom pain that oxy gave me and to keep from getting sick. I wound up in the ER 7 times in that first year with "pancreatitis". I finally had a moment of clarity and went to an urgent care associated with my insurance and told the DR I think I'm in withdrawal from oxycodone. He basically put in my medical record that I was a drug addict and then showed me the door. That was a Friday afternoon and I went to the urgent care only because the pain management DR;s don't work on Fridays. Well, 2 wonderful days later I went to the pain management DR;s (this is now Monday) and told them you have to help me get off this sh*t. They pretty much told me it was my own fault and that I was a drug addict. Ironic that they prescribe you a medication that is insanely addictive, not to mention a scourge all over the country and then they have the nerve to tell you its all "YOUR" fault. OXY IS INSANELY MORE ADDICTIVE THAN HYDRO. At least for me it was.
    I talked to friends and family and they helped me find a detox where I was slowly and thank god relatively painlessly weaned off of oxycodone in about 7 days. It's been 7 months without pain meds. It's no picnic some days pain wise but compared to the hell of taking oxycodone, I'll take the pain any day.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

want2bebetter is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by bbqboy123 View Post
    Anyone thinking of switching from hydro to oxy be EXTREMELY careful. I was in a car accident in 2006 and was given vicodin. ( I have 4 bulging discs in my lumbar spine, degenerative disc disease and arthritis in the articulating facets of my lumbar spine.) Over the next FIVE years I increased from 1 5/500 a day to 3 10/325 norcos a day. I found that if I had a flareup I could take 1-2 extra a day and then go back to 3x. My insurance changed and I went from Kaiser to private and a pain management clinic. The PA had my chart, all my dosing info and yet changed me from 3x 10/325 norcos to 4x 15mg oxycodone ( that's double the dose). They tell you that they are metabolized in your liver the same way but for me that wasn't the case. Oxy's made me feel that I had more pain. So I tried the method from before and took a few extra for a few days and then went back to 3-4 a day. Next thing I know I'm in the ER with radical abdominal pain and vomiting. I was told that I had pancreatitis. The symptoms of pancreatitis and opiate withdrawal are basically the same in the early stages. Since a DR told me I had pancreatitis he must be right. (not) Over the course of the next year I kept having to take more oxy to fight the phantom pain that oxy gave me and to keep from getting sick. I wound up in the ER 7 times in that first year with "pancreatitis". I finally had a moment of clarity and went to an urgent care associated with my insurance and told the DR I think I'm in withdrawal from oxycodone. He basically put in my medical record that I was a drug addict and then showed me the door. That was a Friday afternoon and I went to the urgent care only because the pain management DR;s don't work on Fridays. Well, 2 wonderful days later I went to the pain management DR;s (this is now Monday) and told them you have to help me get off this sh*t. They pretty much told me it was my own fault and that I was a drug addict. Ironic that they prescribe you a medication that is insanely addictive, not to mention a scourge all over the country and then they have the nerve to tell you its all "YOUR" fault. OXY IS INSANELY MORE ADDICTIVE THAN HYDRO. At least for me it was.
    I talked to friends and family and they helped me find a detox where I was slowly and thank god relatively painlessly weaned off of oxycodone in about 7 days. It's been 7 months without pain meds. It's no picnic some days pain wise but compared to the hell of taking oxycodone, I'll take the pain any day.
    Bbqboy, how did u successfully beat the addiction?