How to wean off Lithium
    untilworsehappens is offline New Member

Default How to wean off Lithium

My mom has recentally lost her medical insurance and is on lithium (900mg a day) she has some left over and while she still has some wants to find out how to wean off of it before she has to quit cold-turkey. She's called clinics and hasnt gotten a call back- at this point she's just stopped taking it which totally freaks me out with the stories I've heard about the wave of depression that might hit. Can anyone help me find information?
    Thank you so much in advance- I can't think of who else to ask.
    tina

xmyheart is offline New Member

hey,
    i wouldn't suggest that she just stop taking the lithium cold turkey. from experience i know that it can make you very sick. i found this...

"How to Stop Taking Lithium: Your doctor should be recommending that you reduce your dosage by 300mg a day every five to six days, based on the 24 hour half-life, if not more slowly than that. To make everyone's life easier it might just be rounded up to a week and you may or may not have a blood level done..."

and here's a link: http://www.crazymeds.org/discontinue.htm

sput is offline Junior Member

hi, i was on lithium for many years. you can get very very ill just stopping. i was without for 2 days once and i felt faint, i was so sick! have you checked into any prescription assistance programs? i know in my state they have a program for people who cannot afford thier meds. the most important thing about lithium is occasional blood work to check the level of toxicity, this is very important. check with the hospitals if they offer this program. good luck

kathy