how often can i take flexeril 10 mg for menstrual cramps?
    bloop79 is offline Junior Member

Default how often can i take flexeril 10 mg for menstrual cramps?

i have endometreosis and will be getting surgery soon.. my doc offered vicoprofen, but i'm getting over a recreational pain killer addiction and thought it was a bad idea [although the addict in me didn't disclose that to my doc]. until surgery i'm on motrin and flexeril. just wondering how soon i can take another 10mg? thanks!
    Last edited by bloop79; 01-25-2010 at 09:18 PM.

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

Follow the directions on the presription bottle. Thats what I would do. I suffered from endometriosis for years. I wish you luck. I don't know though if flexeril will help with the pain.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Muscle relaxants are usually prescribed bid (twice), if it's only once per day (qd) and since Flex is so strong you might think about halving it, otherwise take it as directed.

Good for you passing up the Vico, that says something.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bloop79 View Post
    i have endometreosis and will be getting surgery soon.. my doc offered vicoprofen, but i'm getting over a recreational pain killer addiction and thought it was a bad idea [although the addict in me didn't disclose that to my doc]. until surgery i'm on motrin and flexeril. just wondering how soon i can take another 10mg? thanks!
    I, too, had endometriosis for years - what finally "cured" it was pregnancy!

Like Rose, I'm questioning how well flexoril will help with endometriosis - it is a muscle relaxant, and I can't see how that would be the right medication for this. Then again, I'm not an MD... so I'll leave it at that. I certainly would not exceed the recommended dosage on the label, as the 10 mg is a sizeable dose. It would probably sedate you, rather than ease pain.

You MAY want to re-think your choice not to disclose your history to your doctor. You'll be having surgery soon, which generally means narcotics after. If your doctor knows your history in advance, he will know to keep an eye out for any prolonged usage, above and beyond what it necessary.

My experience has shown me that doctors do not generally REFUSE to prescribe pain medicine after surgery for recovering addicts - but, if they are wise, they limit it to as brief a time period and dosage as possible.

Side note: I know ME, as an addict, all too well. When I deliberately NOT tell a doctor of my addiction history, it is because I want to reserve the possibility of gaining narcotics... without being closely monitored. I'm not saying this is the same for you - I'm just suggesting you may want to look at your motives.

Best wishes.
    Ruth

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

I agree with Ruth. You need to tell your doctor about your previous history of abusing pills. It will be hard to do, but the right thing to do. Please reconsider you original decision to not tell them. good luck!