how much stronger is...????
    ConstantPain is offline Junior Member

Default how much stronger is...????

i asked a pharmacist about whether or not there is a real difference between norco 10/325 vs. vicodin 10/660, as the hydrocodone part of it is the same and only the apap is different. he said yea, but only a little bit...how much stronger do you guys here think a higher apap amount really makes a difference...??? thanks to all who reply!

goog is offline New Member

Try REAL hard to get away from ANYTHING that contains APAP. At least get the smallest amount you can like Norco instead on Vicodin 10/660. You are destroying your liver and kidneys if you take a lot of this stuff. In my line of work I see it all the time...the liver and even kidney damage. They say the APAP enhances the pain fighting ability of the drug. Bull. If it does AT ALL it is microscopic! Problem is there are no hydrocodone ONLY pain drugs out there. They all contain APAP, aspirin, ibuprofen or some other second drug. For that very reason I recently switched to oxycodone as there are MANY versions of oxy ONLY available for pain. This is NOT to say that if you are taking one or two Vic.'s a day you will kill your liver. I'm just saying that only you know the truth about how much you take so please watch out!

abey042000 is offline Member

Goog~

May I ask what type of work you do? Just curious.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

They don'y even use hydrocodone here in Canada because it has about the same pain killing strength as codeine.You can get it in the cough syrup called hycodan but it's **** for pain killing.Anyone with long term pain needs to get away from short acting opiates with tylenol as they can cause alot of damage and if you truly have chronic pain then they lose their effectiveness within months.Chronic pain patients are usually on a sustained release opiate with no tylenol....Dave

TO: ConstantPain... Depending on the source and I have researched this to the point of it being a little crazy but I don't put ANYTHING in my system without a silly amount of research...hydrocodone is at least seven times and some say as much as eleven times STRONGER than codeine phosphate. There is a strong effort underway (this will make some people PANIC) to make hydrocodone a class II drug! That will put a serious crimp in a lot of folks's habits! Anyway, don't take my word for it, look it up, but hydro is many times stronger than plain old codeine. Best..... Dennis (Goog)

quote:Originally posted by goog

TO: ConstantPain... Depending on the source and I have researched this to the point of it being a little crazy but I don't put ANYTHING in my system without a silly amount of research...hydrocodone is at least seven times and some say as much as eleven times STRONGER than codeine phosphate. There is a strong effort underway (this will make some people PANIC) to make hydrocodone a class II drug! That will put a serious crimp in a lot of folks's habits! Anyway, don't take my word for it, look it up, but hydro is many times stronger than plain old codeine. Best..... Dennis (Goog)
    hey...thanks so much for your excellent information!!! you say there are people who want to make it a schedule II like percocet??? when do you forsee, or know, or have a guess as far as when this might happen?

also, comparing apples to apples, how much stronger do you estimate (or know) that hydrocodone is vs. oxycodone??? for example norco 10/325 vs. percocet 10/325???

thanks again for your time and efforts. it is truly highly appreciated!!!! kudos to you!

ConstantPain- Usually I am very good at finding the numbers. Like I have said..I tend to over research stuff! Try as I might though I could not find numbers this time. I can only find statements confirming that oxycodone is "much" stronger than hydrocodone. As far as the move to make all hydrocodone products a schedule II drug, the DEA, the FDA and many physicians groups are behind this. Of course all of the makers of drugs that contain hydrocodone are fighting hard against this as sales would take a huge dive. As they are a strong lobby I think a fight will take place and this won't happen for a while if at all. A suggestion if you are having good luck fighting your pain with hydrocodone but want to shy away from the APAP, aspirin, and all that....try a hydrocodone based cough medicine like Hycodan or Vicodin Tuss. These are 5mg per teaspoon hydro. products that also contain an over the counter cough medicine that is MUCH less toxic to your liver and kidneys. All of these cough med.'s contain 5 mg. of hydro. with one exception..a drug called Tussionex. This is a 10 mg. per teaspoon but is a time release formula and is pretty expensive. Not trying to help you get high just trying to help you save you liver! Luck... Dennis (Goog).

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Oxycodone is about 3 times stronger then Hydrocodone, here's a comparison chart.
    http://www.pharmer.org/node/3757

^..^ ~~ ,
    =´`= ___ )-~

quote:Originally posted by goog

ConstantPain- Usually I am very good at finding the numbers. Like I have said..I tend to over research stuff! Try as I might though I could not find numbers this time. I can only find statements confirming that oxycodone is "much" stronger than hydrocodone. As far as the move to make all hydrocodone products a schedule II drug, the DEA, the FDA and many physicians groups are behind this. Of course all of the makers of drugs that contain hydrocodone are fighting hard against this as sales would take a huge dive. As they are a strong lobby I think a fight will take place and this won't happen for a while if at all. A suggestion if you are having good luck fighting your pain with hydrocodone but want to shy away from the APAP, aspirin, and all that....try a hydrocodone based cough medicine like Hycodan or Vicodin Tuss. These are 5mg per teaspoon hydro. products that also contain an over the counter cough medicine that is MUCH less toxic to your liver and kidneys. All of these cough med.'s contain 5 mg. of hydro. with one exception..a drug called Tussionex. This is a 10 mg. per teaspoon but is a time release formula and is pretty expensive. Not trying to help you get high just trying to help you save you liver! Luck... Dennis (Goog).
    dennis,

thanks so much for your time and effort...you certainly did an awesome job scaring me straight about the apap. i'm not taking anything other than 10/325's now, thanks to you. this stuff is scary. i don't drink whatsoever, but i do take zoloft, klonopin, propecia, and some ibuprofen every now and then...how many 10/325's do you think i can take considering all the other meds i'm on for depression and anxiety??? thanks again!!!!!!!

Hey Dave just FYI hydro is about 6 times stronger then codeine. It seems like it should have its place in Canada. Can you tell me if Canada has similar drug scheduling as we have in the US?

^..^ ~~ ,
    =´`= ___ )-~

ConstantPain, you may not be aware but you can get Hydro with Ibuprofen instead of APAP, such as Vicoprofen or Reprexain, however I don't believe it comes in a 10mg dose, but your doctor can write it for two fives instead, and they all come in 200mg of >>>.

^..^ ~~ ,
    =´`= ___ )-~

thebled88 is offline New Member

[deleted]

According to the charts I've read it is, so what do you say it is, since you know everything?

^..^ ~~ ,
    =´`= ___ )-~

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Hi Cat: It is similiar but not near as strict.We don't have triple prescription pads and the doctors up here aren't hassled like they are in the states by the DEA......Thanks for the info...Dave

Morpheen is offline New Member

To the person asking about APAP....APAP is an abbreviation for tylenol. So if you had Percocet 5mg APAP 325mg,,,,meaning 5mg of Oxycodone and 325mg of Tylenol....I hope this helps!

CrunchDude is offline Junior Member

quote:Originally posted by thebled88

[deleted]
    Why was Dave's post deleted??? Please Dave, can you send me a message directly with what you said??? Thanks...