how much metadone is too much?
    pillheadman is offline New Member

Default how much metadone is too much?

Hi, On avg I take anywhere from 90mg-120mg of oxycodone per day, in 30mg pills. depending on how much pain I am in.

I have switched to methadone, due to the price. but today is my first day taking it.

Ive took three 10mg pills today, at 9am, 3pm, and 9pm.
    I was reading online about methadone, and well.... scared myself...

is 3 10mg pills too much to take in one day?
    thanks.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by pillheadman View Post
    Hi, On avg I take anywhere from 90mg-120mg of oxycodone per day, in 30mg pills. depending on how much pain I am in.

I have switched to methadone, due to the price. but today is my first day taking it.

thanks.

Methadone is a total overkill for your using history in my opinion. That is only my opinion. But I think you are asking for more trouble than you already have choosing this route. Why are you doing methadone other than price? If price is the only reason, that is a very poor reason to do this. Your well being at least is at stake in addition to your life.

It doesn't sound like you are under the care of a dr. That also scares me when methadone is involved. It's way too serious of a medication to be scoring on the street and using it the way you are doing it. There are some very serious potential drug interactions with methadone.

You need to have someone who is aware of your medical history, using history, and an expert on methadone itself telling you to go this route before you proceed further. No way I would ever tell someone taking three or four 30mg oxy a day to detox with methadone.

You should do this either on a cold turkey basis utilizing the Thomas Recipe to help ease your w/d symptoms and if that isn't possible for whatever reason then suboxone should be the next choice.

Please reconsider the methadone. I am not judging you at all. I don't mean it to come off that way, I am simply stating the facts. This is very serious. God bless.

pillheadman is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Methadone is a total overkill for your using history in my opinion. That is only my opinion. But I think you are asking for more trouble than you already have choosing this route. Why are you doing methadone other than price? If price is the only reason, that is a very poor reason to do this. Your well being at least is at stake in addition to your life.

It doesn't sound like you are under the care of a dr. That also scares me when methadone is involved. It's way too serious of a medication to be scoring on the street and using it the way you are doing it. There are some very serious potential drug interactions with methadone.

You need to have someone who is aware of your medical history, using history, and an expert on methadone itself telling you to go this route before you proceed further. No way I would ever tell someone taking three or four 30mg oxy a day to detox with methadone.

You should do this either on a cold turkey basis utilizing the Thomas Recipe to help ease your w/d symptoms and if that isn't possible for whatever reason then suboxone should be the next choice.

Please reconsider the methadone. I am not judging you at all. I don't mean it to come off that way, I am simply stating the facts. This is very serious. God bless.
    the methadone is only temp, until I get money to get my script, 3 years ago I shatered my hip in a car crash. I got laid off from work 3 weeks ago and dont have the $400 to get my script filled (30mg roxicodones) I called my doctor to ask if shecould call in a smaller amount of my script, (ie: 20 of my normal 30mg roxicodones) told her about my job, And when I went to pick up my script from the doctors office, It was for 15 10mg methadone pills, the only message she left for me was, "give this a try and call me the 20th for a follow up app" Ive never questioned her until today, I just did what she tells me to do, I went to have them filled and the bottle says "follow doctors orders" well Im unsure what that is, I just took them like I would a normal pain pill. after reading about methadone, I found out that was the real worng way to do so, Now Im worried that I took to much and if I sleep I may die........

If Im alive! I will call her tomarrow and get this fixed forsure. but back to my question, am i going to be ok? or do I need to go to the ER? I feel normal, prob the most normal I have felt in 3 years, No sick and no pain
    to be honest, Im impressed, I dont feel the normal sick feeling I do on a daily, and I dont have much pain.....

Robert_325 is offline Retired

the methadone is only temp, until I get money to get my script, 3 years ago I shatered my hip in a car crash. I got laid off from work 3 weeks ago and dont have the $400 to get my script filled (30mg roxicodones) I called my doctor to ask if shecould call in a smaller amount of my script, (ie: 20 of my normal 30mg roxicodones) told her about my job, And when I went to pick up my script from the doctors office, It was for 15 10mg methadone pills, the only message she left for me was, "give this a try and call me the 20th for a follow up app" Ive never questioned her until today, I just did what she tells me to do, I went to have them filled and the bottle says "follow doctors orders" well Im unsure what that is, I just took them like I would a normal pain pill. after reading about methadone, I found out that was the real worng way to do so, Now Im worried that I took to much and if I sleep I may die........

If Im alive! I will call her tomarrow and get this fixed forsure. but back to my question, am i going to be ok? or do I need to go to the ER? I feel normal, prob the most normal I have felt in 3 years, No sick and no pain
    to be honest, Im impressed, I dont feel the normal sick feeling I do on a daily, and I dont have much pain.....

I'm glad you explained a little more. Now I feel better at least that you aren't doing this on the street. Hope you realize I was only concerned for your benefit, not being bossy or judgemental. It's just that methadone is serious. I sure wish the dr had given you more instructions. And for what it's worth I still disagree with her giving you methadone to take temporarily. But that isn't the question here so I will let it go.

Those 30mg Roxies were my drug of choice the last couple years I was using. I was taking a minimum of thirty 30mg Roxies a day for a long time. I know that was not very smart but it's the way I used them. They also came from a legitimate dr for me too. I had some serious injuries, five knee operations alone from sports injuries, and some serious health issues also adding to the pain. I am very familiar with the Roxies.

Methadone for a short term is a strange way to prescribe it because when we start on methadone there is a process where we begin at a small dose and increase it gradually as our bodies become acclimated to it. The explanation is long but suffice it to say handing you a bottle of 10mg methadone and saying try these like pain pills is not much of a way to treat you. You don't want to start taking them like I took pain pills at least. That could be dangerous for you.

I don't think that taking three today will put you into a coma when you decide to sleep especially having taken the roxies regularly previously. But in all fairness to you and to your dr I think you should call her office tomorrow and explain that you could use some more instruction than what you just shared here. I think she is expecting too much of you to assume you automatically know how to use them properly. You are wise to be prudent with this just as you are doing. I hope this helps some, I don't think you have anything to worry about tonight. Let us know how this works out for you. Wish you the best of luck. God bless.

you will live! 30mg is the standard dose that they give at a clinic whether a person is on 6 5mg vics or 8 80mg oxys crazy i know but thats what they do & with your history you will most likely be fine but methadone mixes horrible with quite a few drugs most you wouldnt suspect- benzos, hypnotiocs,tranquilzers, and other opiates being the usual supects-CNS depression. but some that most dont know are wellbutrin, alot of the stronger antibiotics like cipro,biaxin I got violently ill mixing methadone & cipro & both drs knew of my meds. I have also had a scarey experience mixing benadryl and methadone I thought I was going to stop breathing. and I was taking xanax(as needed) and methadone together under dr supervision so who would think benadryl would hurt? point being she was very irresponsible perscribing this with so little instuctions. I have also found that in very little time methadone does little for pain relief. just some of my experience with this drug and sadly for me I have way too much

also have you checked with the makers of your script for help in paying for it? if not you can by going to the makers website or perscription assistance websites sorry I have no web addresses but Im sure someone on here knows

kelkat67@nyc.rr.com is offline New Member

Red face

thanks.
    Methadone is not as scary as everyone makes it out to be, what you took is fine, but did it relieve your pain? If it did,. everything else is irrelavent. If you want you can e-mail me with your additional questions. Good Luck.
    Last edited by kelkat67@nyc.rr.com; 11-19-2008 at 07:47 PM.