Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How long does the fentanyl withdrawl last
    Marcus is offline New Member

Default How long does the fentanyl withdrawl last

I have been taking the the fent patch for alittle over 2 months for chronic pain. I have a disorder that causes great pain in the joints and the doctors have no clue. All my blood results come back normal except for the sed-rate which is 80 when the normal person runs about a 25. I've been sick since i'm 6 and now 25. I took the patch off on thursday..I know a stupid move..Just wanted to know how long the withdrawl will last. I was taking the 100mcg strength..and almost on day 5. if anyone has any info I would be greatful. I feel like I'm loseing my mind...::sighs:::

Marcus

nutkitten is offline New Member

Since you have been on the patch an extremely short period of time, things may go ok, but please remember, whenever taking any narcotic, especially one as stong as fentanyl, (100 mcg is a large dose!) never stop cold turkey or without your doctor's supervision. Withdrawls can be very severe, even fatal! So please, always check with your doctor first.

I also am on the fentanyl patch (75 mcg) for about 2 1/2 years now, I would never just 'stop taking it'! Just the idea scares the >>>> out of me.

Take care.

spammy82 is offline New Member

Earlier, someone posted that withdrawal from narcotic pain meds can be fatal. That is not true, although it IS true for other things like alcohol and benzodiazipans. Although extremely uncomfortable, withdrawing from the fentanyl patch is not fatal. It's a fact, look it up if you desire.

I have a spinal cord injury and have been dealing with terrible pain ever since. I have been on a number of narcotics including methadone and oxycontin. Right now I am on the generic fentanyl patch @ 75uG along with 150mg of Lyrica, an awesome med for neuropathic pain.

Here are some suggestions... This has gotten me through some rough withdrawals: Benadrly or Diphenhydramine. This medication in some way affects the acetylcholine levels in the brain and will help with the restlessness, the anticholerginic effects will also help with the sweats. It took more than the suggested dose for me to feel any effects, but I have been taking benadryl for years for allergies. Never exceed the dosage if you are taking a preparation of benadryl and parcetamol (Tylenol PM) as the Tylenol can be toxic at high dosages... You can, however, exceed the recommended dosage of plain benadryl by quite a bit safely, but you may get some wierd side-affects. I suggest taking 2 or 3 to start out with before bed when you are starting to "get the shakes".

There are also some non-narcotic prescription options as well if you want to stop cold turkey.

Stepping down is a good idea with fentanyl because the med is lipophilic, meaning it stores in your fat and will take longer to detox from than other opioids.

If you have generic Mylan patches, not the true duragesic which are different, you can cut the patches down as the drug is simply mixed with the adhesive. True Durageisc brand patches have a reservoir where the drug is stored and cannot be cut.

Hope this helps, you can email me at sengwall@niu.edu if you have any questions.

***I am not a Medical Doctor. Always check with your physician before changing, starting or stopping any medications.***

Chaoticangel42 is offline New Member

It will get better!! I am 3 weeks off and feeling a whole lot better. I am still experiecing hot & cold flashes and tearing of the eyes......but that is sooooo minute compaired to what I went through that first week.
    The first week, I was pretty much in fetal position or vomiting the majority of the time, the second week, I was just really weak and still having diarrhea severly. Now....I am almost back to normal, I am still somewhat emotional, especially irritable more than usual, but those symptoms are going away. I sooo feel for you brother....just hang in there though, you are done with the worst part already!!!
    Your detoxin buddy........Paula

nilestheninja is offline New Member

Hey guys, I am new to this site and suffer greatly from back pain and all of the other unpleasantries that accompany chronic spinal pain. I had a Laminectomy, Discectomy, and a Facetecomy back in Feb 2007. Things are probably worse now than the were, although I am not working anymore which allows for less stress physically. I am taking Norco 10/325; supposed to take like 7/day but often take more as they wear off so fast and the pain makes me unable to "live my life" in a quality way. I have a young child that I love to be with and do not want to spend the rest of my life in bed wincing in pain. It seems obvious to me that the Norco has too short of a half life, and that I need something for breakthrough pain. I have been suggested Morphine and Methadone by various physicians over the past few years, but I am so afraid. I am already so dependent on the Norco, where do you go from there? I don't want to make my situation worse, but I definitely need something strong with a longer half life. I don't want something that will drastically alter who I am (the Norco is almost something I am immune to side effect wise, no "buzz" or exhaustion, etc), dr says thats cuz I am in so much pain and have a tolerance. What's a girl to do? I lost feeing in the rt leg last week and fell down stairs in public, and the ER dr said even on an Xra they can see "bone on bone" at L5/S1. Am I crazy to ask for something more, or to ask for something for breakthrough pain? What works best with the least evil, long-term effects? I am super grateful for any info you can offer, thanks! Take Care!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by nilestheninja View Post
    Hey guys, I am new to this site and suffer greatly from back pain and all of the other unpleasantries that accompany chronic spinal pain. I had a Laminectomy, Discectomy, and a Facetecomy back in Feb 2007. Things are probably worse now than the were, although I am not working anymore which allows for less stress physically. I am taking Norco 10/325; supposed to take like 7/day but often take more as they wear off so fast and the pain makes me unable to "live my life" in a quality way. I have a young child that I love to be with and do not want to spend the rest of my life in bed wincing in pain. It seems obvious to me that the Norco has too short of a half life, and that I need something for breakthrough pain. I have been suggested Morphine and Methadone by various physicians over the past few years, but I am so afraid. I am already so dependent on the Norco, where do you go from there? I don't want to make my situation worse, but I definitely need something strong with a longer half life. I don't want something that will drastically alter who I am (the Norco is almost something I am immune to side effect wise, no "buzz" or exhaustion, etc), dr says thats cuz I am in so much pain and have a tolerance. What's a girl to do? I lost feeing in the rt leg last week and fell down stairs in public, and the ER dr said even on an Xra they can see "bone on bone" at L5/S1. Am I crazy to ask for something more, or to ask for something for breakthrough pain? What works best with the least evil, long-term effects? I am super grateful for any info you can offer, thanks! Take Care!

Sorry you've had to do all the back surgery. These are surgeries with a fairly good success ratio, but having had a bunch of sports injury related surgeries I know they don't always end up with results like what we had hoped for. Pain is often the end result for us. I remember after one knee surgery that for two years my right knee hurt worse than prior to the surgery. It finally recovered but it was painful and took a long time even with rehab and working it hard. Point is that these surgeries often leave us with a lot of extra pain to work through besides the original pain.

There are lots of RX choices. The Norco you are taking is not a really strong pain medication. Its very unusual for a dr to suggest transitioning directly from Norco to Methadone. There are lots of medications in between that would probably work just fine for you. I don't know if you need to go with an extended release med just yet or not, but a stronger med than you are currently taking is a possibility. Who knows you may need Methadone. It just seems like too big of a jump to me. There are all different strength opiate pain meds, lots of things the dr could prescribe ... its a very long list. He/she may decide to put you on something like Oxycontin that is time released. You need to discuss this with the dr to choose the specific med.

As far as taking something for breakthrough pain, that is what you are taking pretty much now. A med for breakthrough pain is just a fast acting opiate ... hydrocodone, oxycodone are the most common. Norco is hydrocodone, but hydro comes in lots of doses. The patient would commonly be taking an extended release med like oxycontin or fentynal patches for a maintenance drug and a fast acting med like percocet for breakthrough pain.

All drugs have side effects, short and long term. The fast acting opiate meds normally have acetaminophen, or apap, which can be detrimental to your liver. We have to keep our daily consumption of apap down to less than 4000mg in any 24 hour period. Over 4000mg is a toxic amount for the liver. It normally takes a few years to do serious damage, but some of us are affected in a shorter period. The liver is resilient and can come back fine from abuse. A simple CBC blood test will give the liver count.

I don't think you are crazy at all to ask for whatever makes you more comfortable. I know you realize the potentially serious situation you are in though, just like you asked about the side effects. When we have chronic pain, and its something that isn't likely going to stop soon, we should try every possible avenue available prior to depending strictly on meds to help with the pain. Sometimes we can take less meds if we are doing some type of physical therapy, even if its just exercise at our own home or walking a couple times a day. If you need the meds take them, don't deprive yourself or your child. Just take care and be cautious. Good luck and God bless.

lanimal12 is offline New Member

It is actually true that fentanyl withdrawls can and have been fatal before. Although it is not common it can be fatal you can look at http://www.kerrysteigerwalt.com/publ...ylpatches.html, to see for yourself that most labels include this message: While too little of the drug produces extremely uncomfortable but rarely fatal withdrawal symptoms, too much of the drug produces fatal fentanyl overdoses.

So you can see that yes it is fatal to all of a sudden stop cold turkey with fentanyl.
    please do not tell people it isn't, that is not fair to those who may believe you and then what chances do they have when they think it is ok?

I am not a doctor but I know many doctors and my mother is a medical transcriptionist, which does not make her an expert but it does mkae her more qualified than me and she said it can be fatal aswell as my primary Dr. and my neuro and PM Dr.. so don't take my word for it but ask someone qualified to give you a correct answer and never under any circumstances quit cold turkey any NARCOTIC!! it is just insane.

While it can be fatal in some instances to cold turkey off a few drugs saying that no one should ever cold turkey detox off any narcotic is a bit paranoid. Saying to never quit narcotics cold turkey is just not correct information. That is a fact.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

bytheway benadryl does help with withdrawls and it is safe to take at most 24 in a day but I would recommend only when the withdrawals are to great.

question I have been on fentanyl now for 1 year and would like to come off everything but the pain is unbelievable. I has surgery in september on 2 herniated discs, one which was causing stenosis, which is nerve pain due to a pinched or completely blocked nerve. my whole right leg was numb and painful daily. the surgery was a success and my right leg pain and numbness went away but my lower back pain was still there and even worse than before now it is less than 3 months later and my leg pain is coming back on and off. I am married with a 20 month old and I want to enjoy life stay married play with my kids and such, but being constantly on meds that change who one is don't make any of that easy. is it ok to come off all my meds and deal with the pain? Has anyone had experience with that? or is it not worth it and I should just find a way to deal with the meds? Any experience let alone hel p with this would be great. I DON'T want to become more toleraNT THAN i ALREADY AM AND i DON'T WANT TO become addicted and worry constantly about withdrawl from it. What should I do?

telling someone to never quit cold turkey any narcotic is my opinion and the great thing about opinions is they are never wrong. try reading it again and trying to understand the context implied. It was a reply about how dangerous withdrawl can be from fentanyl. it is insane to stop cold turkey any narcotic because of the withdrawl symptoms involved not because it can be fatal. who would in their right mind want to suffer withdrawl symptoms? so yes it is insane to stop cold turkey any NARC. and no it is not incorrect. but if you think you are right prove to me it is wrong show me why that statement is incorrect and sight atleast 5 reputable links I can go to that will prove to me that that info is incorrect, or in the future don't correct someone if you don't have the credentials to back it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Sorry you've had to do all the back surgery. These are surgeries with a fairly good success ratio, but having had a bunch of sports injury related surgeries I know they don't always end up with results like what we had hoped for. Pain is often the end result for us. I remember after one knee surgery that for two years my right knee hurt worse than prior to the surgery. It finally recovered but it was painful and took a long time even with rehab and working it hard. Point is that these surgeries often leave us with a lot of extra pain to work through besides the original pain.

There are lots of RX choices. The Norco you are taking is not a really strong pain medication. Its very unusual for a dr to suggest transitioning directly from Norco to Methadone. There are lots of medications in between that would probably work just fine for you. I don't know if you need to go with an extended release med just yet or not, but a stronger med than you are currently taking is a possibility. Who knows you may need Methadone. It just seems like too big of a jump to me. There are all different strength opiate pain meds, lots of things the dr could prescribe ... its a very long list. He/she may decide to put you on something like Oxycontin that is time released. You need to discuss this with the dr to choose the specific med.

As far as taking something for breakthrough pain, that is what you are taking pretty much now. A med for breakthrough pain is just a fast acting opiate ... hydrocodone, oxycodone are the most common. Norco is hydrocodone, but hydro comes in lots of doses. The patient would commonly be taking an extended release med like oxycontin or fentynal patches for a maintenance drug and a fast acting med like percocet for breakthrough pain.

All drugs have side effects, short and long term. The fast acting opiate meds normally have acetaminophen, or apap, which can be detrimental to your liver. We have to keep our daily consumption of apap down to less than 4000mg in any 24 hour period. Over 4000mg is a toxic amount for the liver. It normally takes a few years to do serious damage, but some of us are affected in a shorter period. The liver is resilient and can come back fine from abuse. A simple CBC blood test will give the liver count.

I don't think you are crazy at all to ask for whatever makes you more comfortable. I know you realize the potentially serious situation you are in though, just like you asked about the side effects. When we have chronic pain, and its something that isn't likely going to stop soon, we should try every possible avenue available prior to depending strictly on meds to help with the pain. Sometimes we can take less meds if we are doing some type of physical therapy, even if its just exercise at our own home or walking a couple times a day. If you need the meds take them, don't deprive yourself or your child. Just take care and be cautious. Good luck and God bless.
    I am a chronic pain suffer for 20 yrs now and have taken everything that there is to control pain. I take 50mg Fentanyl for the last 2 years. The detox effects scare the heck out of me as well, but please never go to Methodone. The detoxing from Methodone is absoultely a nightmare in hell. However, Methodone does work for chronic pain, but I would agree with another person and suggest the perocet as break thru med. I am not a medical professional just a lifelong patient. I have 7 bulding disk, chronic inflamation, EBV, IBS, Fibromyalgia, very low immune system. Once I added Celebrex with the patch my life has changed so much to the good. If you have any inflamation this is a miracle drug even though it has great risks. I wish you wellness and sanity thru all of this.

Blackeye is offline New Member

Mmmmh' Opinions flying'

My 5 cents from personal expereince' opiate withdrawal hurts' but it shall no kill you' unless you are taking tonnes of opiates in the first place and just stop'
    High dose methadone would be your worst bet' (I done it' it no killed me' just felt like it for 4 weeks)
    high dose fentanyl is going to rip you up for 3-5 days' be 7-10 days before you are recovered somewhat' but if you are respectful in your reduction and detox regime'
    No problem going cold turkey' Withdrawal is a state of mind' focus mind elsewhere! Your body is going to hurt if you look at it! Occupy mind elsewhere and ignore the withdrawal with will power and lots of hot baths! Or a stool in the shower' Short acting withdrawal breaks within 3 days' even fentanyl' although you are going to be cold and withdrawan for the best part of 10-14 days afterwards'

All the Best'

Blackeye +

truh54 is offline New Member

i

I just want to share my experience with the fentanyl patches. I Hope that it will scare some people away, and teach them something. I am a young female and have already been through a lot in my life. I got cheated on as a junior in high school, and that is when i took my first pain killer. From that day in April and on, I was getting any pills that I could get every day pretty much. Then I would say that September, Someone came along with the patch. At first I bought it, and sold it to someone else, because I was too scared. Watching them do it, made me want to do it. I then got one for myself. And wow did I fall in love from that first patch. I woke up the next day, and got some more, and the next day. I got a patch everyday pretty much. I did try to quit quite a few times, but the withdrawals were so terrible. I would not sleep for a week and I would finally get another, I tried to wean myself off of the patch, but that just did not work. Anyways, so until this past September, I had been using it every day. Over summer I spent almost 6000 dollars, 80 dollars every single day. Who knows how I got all the money, I was working a good job and I had just graduated, but that money was all gone so fast. I ended up selling valuable things of my parents, valuable things of mine, and it just got to the point where I was going insane. I was doing 50 to 75 mg's a day of a patch, just to let you know how much I was taking. I would chew the patches, i never work the patch. I then decided to quit with my boyfriend at the time and we started going to NA meetings together every night. My life is completely different now, I am still mentally going through withdrawals, hard core. THe physical withdrawals for me always lasted at least up to a week of no sleep, but probably a month and a half or two months for me to start being able to sleep again normally and to learn how to live life a sober person. The withdrawal from a patch is no joke, it is known to be one of the worst that there is. It is painful, hardcore, but it is something that you can get through, and be done with. I truly wanted to stop, and I did. Anyone want to ask me anything. please let me know. I would love to help other people with anything that I can.
    Last edited by truh54; 12-23-2010 at 03:07 AM.

Anonymous Guest

Default i know where you are coming from

I have been on Fentanyl patches for the last 3 years. 200 mcg patches every 72 hours. At the time I was miserable. I am willing to say that the medication truly helped me for a very long time.
    However the last six months I've had trouble with really being unable to do anything on the third day, I hurt so badly. Of course I realized i was becoming immune to the medication. Two months ago, On day two and three I started sweating copiously by the morning of the second day, aching all over, I thought I was depressed until I realized I was in despair.
    I am NOT suggesting anyone do this, just telling what I did. As a matter of fact, if someone feels it's wrong, please feel free to say so, in the interest of safety.
    Since I realized I was ok one day, despairing the next two, I realized that this medication that had helped me had outlived it's usefulness. I would not have gone on it if i had realized what i was getting into...oh well.
    I decided it was time to get off this med. I use the Mylan patches, so instead of putting on 2 l00 patches on day one, i put one 50 on every day for the first month. This accomplished two things for me, I was going down by 50 and i wasn't going into withdrawal.
    The 2nd month I have put on 50, 25, 50. I have one more week of this, then I will go 25, 50, 25. After that I will be at 75, so i will go 25,25,25. etc. I already feel so much better! Sure I have some problems, but nothing i can't handle.
    The patch for me anyway, caused more pain in the long run, than it helped. I think that eventually everyone will hit immunity. I was put on a very high dose to begin with for a very good reason. I do hurt a lot.....however, it's not nearly as bad as hurting a lot, sweating buckets, shaking, despair and self disgust because i couldn't figure out why i was so lazy and depressed for two out of three days.
    That was awfully long, I apologize. I've been reading this board for over a year and it's the first time i posted. I just wouldn't advise anyone to up their patch, because eventually you will have to come down.
    Best of luck, just my opinion, vaya con Dios
    Marian

Quote Originally Posted by lanimal12 View Post
    bytheway benadryl does help with withdrawls and it is safe to take at most 24 in a day but I would recommend only when the withdrawals are to great.

question I have been on fentanyl now for 1 year and would like to come off everything but the pain is unbelievable. I has surgery in september on 2 herniated discs, one which was causing stenosis, which is nerve pain due to a pinched or completely blocked nerve. my whole right leg was numb and painful daily. the surgery was a success and my right leg pain and numbness went away but my lower back pain was still there and even worse than before now it is less than 3 months later and my leg pain is coming back on and off. I am married with a 20 month old and I want to enjoy life stay married play with my kids and such, but being constantly on meds that change who one is don't make any of that easy. is it ok to come off all my meds and deal with the pain? Has anyone had experience with that? or is it not worth it and I should just find a way to deal with the meds? Any experience let alone hel p with this would be great. I DON'T want to become more toleraNT THAN i ALREADY AM AND i DON'T WANT TO become addicted and worry constantly about withdrawl from it. What should I do?

Anonymous Guest

Oh wow!
    I just realized I posted on a really old thread. Here's an interesting/scary fact. I just checked out Robert's COW sheet and realized when I started taking myself down 2 mos. ago i was at a 21-23 score on 2nd morning of using patches as prescribed! I wondered why I was yawning all the time!
    So many sad sad scary stories here. I've been in NA for 15 years since I quit drinking and I'm a licensed d/a counselor, and the stories and fear don't get better. I keep my license up but I don't work as a counselor any longer. Hats off to all of you who help each other. Merry Christmas!!!
    Marian

Vicenzo is offline New Member

The replies regarding fentanyl withdrawal at least make me feel that there is hope. That my body has not been irreparably damaged. My story may be a cautionary tale, I'll tell it but really I'm interested in advice about how long I might expect the utter exhaustion, insomnia, and GI stuff to last. I was on the patch for nearly 10 years - for migraines. The migraines immediately stopped subsequent to first patch. Yay, I considered them a gift from God. I knew they were narcotic and over time got down to 50 mcg. But last year the manufacturer changed. And the patches arriving in the mail began resembling generics (BAD sign for me, I'd reacted badly when generics were mistakenly sent another time). After 10 years, this sudden change in appearance - no gel, smaller, and so on - the patches weren't even lasting a full day anymore. Started going through withdrawal at the end of each day. And changed patches each day accordingly. You can guess here - I was reaching dangerous levels and it was agreed I had to come off them. But rather than scaling down, signed in detox. That's all I remember. Next thing, woke up in hospital in restraints. Was there 5 days. That was nearly 2 months ago. Ever since discharge, utter exhaustion. Am on a very small stimulant so I can work. But I feel terrible all the time, sleep only comes with an Ativan (which I hate!), GI distress. So, someone tell me this will end and that I will once again be a happy, energetic guy. An involved father and husband. Hope please! - thank you for anything you can do to support and advise.....

Default update 2011-05-13

Quote Originally Posted by Vicenzo View Post
    The replies regarding fentanyl withdrawal at least make me feel that there is hope. That my body has not been irreparably damaged. My story may be a cautionary tale, I'll tell it but really I'm interested in advice about how long I might expect the utter exhaustion, insomnia, and GI stuff to last. I was on the patch for nearly 10 years - for migraines. The migraines immediately stopped subsequent to first patch. Yay, I considered them a gift from God. I knew they were narcotic and over time got down to 50 mcg. But last year the manufacturer changed. And the patches arriving in the mail began resembling generics (BAD sign for me, I'd reacted badly when generics were mistakenly sent another time). After 10 years, this sudden change in appearance - no gel, smaller, and so on - the patches weren't even lasting a full day anymore. Started going through withdrawal at the end of each day. And changed patches each day accordingly. You can guess here - I was reaching dangerous levels and it was agreed I had to come off them. But rather than scaling down, signed in detox. That's all I remember. Next thing, woke up in hospital in restraints. Was there 5 days. That was nearly 2 months ago. Ever since discharge, utter exhaustion. Am on a very small stimulant so I can work. But I feel terrible all the time, sleep only comes with an Ativan (which I hate!), GI distress. So, someone tell me this will end and that I will once again be a happy, energetic guy. An involved father and husband. Hope please! - thank you for anything you can do to support and advise.....
    Update! - I no longer need the stimulant to work. Still feel lousy most of the time and not 'myself'. However, I am able to drag myself to work - ok once there - and to a few selected activities. By 7 pm I'm shot. GI problems clearly getting better. Am still unable to sleep through night, but am taking advice from some members here and am going to d/c the sleep and anti-anxiety meds (the only things that got me to sleep), because I don't want ANOTHER problem, and after waking, I feel very very tired. Would love comments! thanks again - V

Update June 2011 - It's hard to believe this (IS it? please chime in so I'll know I'm not alone)- it's almost 4 months since hospitalization to detox off the fentanyl - still utterly exhausted just about all the time. C'mon, really? Anyone else take this long or even longer to get some energy back? Blood tests coming back normal. Was told I Had "muscle breakdown" while inpatient as well. Thank you ---

Anonymous Guest

Hi V
    I'm so sorry ..your post have been got by us...how long were you on the patch ???
    energy is one of the reason we all relapse sometimes it is hard to come by...
    today is one of those days for me
    but most days if I get up and go to the gym or just go outside and get some exercise I feel a little better...
    talk to you soon, Melinda

Thanks, Melinda - 1 week on Cymbalta now, which I reluctantly agreed to begin. Desperate for some energy, as I'm sure you understand. Was on the patch about 10 years. Lots of peripheral neuropathy, pains and soreness, that kind of thing. I have been doing some exercise and am overall a good boy with diet etc. Actually dreamt of the patches last week which was scary. But I have NO desire, no craving to get any. I almost died in February, and I want to live to be a grandfather someday!

denverpie is offline New Member

Angry Terrible Side Effects of Fentanyl and Oxycodone

This is my first post to any site about this subject. I have had 9 surgeries on my right knee. Until surgery #9 my diagnosis was "failed total knee replacement (TKR)" but the last surgery was a complete replacement of my failed TKR with an advanced design and has really helped with my pain symptoms. I was on 75mcg fentanyl transdermal patches for about the last 5 or 6 years. I took 6 days each to step to 50 mcg, then to 25 and then about 3 days ago I completely stopped fentanyl. My doc gave me a whole bunch of oxycodone (180) but I have decided, with my PCP's knowledge, to discontinue taking those as well. My primary w/d symptoms include severe sleeplessness, NO sleep at all in last 48 hrs, excessive sneezing, and GI problems. How long can I go without sleep before finally crashing? During my weaning process, I went about 4-5 days before I slept. I have been taking 10mg ambien for a few years so it does not seem to help. I really don't want to take ANY other drugs since I am completely fed up with this w/d ???? and don't want to take anything that will create or continue a current dependency. I have told my doc that I want to discontinue ambien also but am willing to wait until I get over this stuff. I am coping, just soooo tired of the withdrawal side effects. From what I have seen on the internet, I am just another sad fentanyl detox story. Any words of encouragement??

Quote Originally Posted by denverpie View Post
    This is my first post to any site about this subject. I have had 9 surgeries on my right knee. Until surgery #9 my diagnosis was "failed total knee replacement (TKR)" but the last surgery was a complete replacement of my failed TKR with an advanced design and has really helped with my pain symptoms. I was on 75mcg fentanyl transdermal patches for about the last 5 or 6 years. I took 6 days each to step to 50 mcg, then to 25 and then about 3 days ago I completely stopped fentanyl. My doc gave me a whole bunch of oxycodone (180) but I have decided, with my PCP's knowledge, to discontinue taking those as well. My primary w/d symptoms include severe sleeplessness, NO sleep at all in last 48 hrs, excessive sneezing, and GI problems. How long can I go without sleep before finally crashing? During my weaning process, I went about 4-5 days before I slept. I have been taking 10mg ambien for a few years so it does not seem to help. I really don't want to take ANY other drugs since I am completely fed up with this w/d ???? and don't want to take anything that will create or continue a current dependency. I have told my doc that I want to discontinue ambien also but am willing to wait until I get over this stuff. I am coping, just soooo tired of the withdrawal side effects. From what I have seen on the internet, I am just another sad fentanyl detox story. Any words of encouragement??

Fentanyl is a tough detox. And sleep is the very last thing that resumes to normalcy. The time involved varies with each person, but you did do a pretty good taper.

Remember that no one ever died from sleep deprevation while detoxing from opiates. Eventually your body will get over-tired and you'll fall asleep. It may take a few days, but it will happen. If you give it enough time your sleep will resume to something at least resembling normalcy.

I used opiates in excess for 35 years and to be honest I think it took me a good three months before I started sleeping normally at all. I did pass out from exhaustion during that period but this is one of the toughest parts of what you've got to deal with. Hang in there and it will work itself out for you. Congratulations on getting clean and hang on, don't give up before the miracle happens with your sleep. Hope that helps. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

denverpie is offline New Member

Cool Terrible Side Effects of Fentanyl and Oxycodone

Thank you Robert. Exactly what I expected to hear. I know that I will eventually just fall asleep from exhaustion. Waiting for that to happen is torture. I will hang in there and wait for that miracle! I too am a believer and know that God won't give me more than I can handle or deserve for that matter Your statement saying nobody ever died from sleep deprevation truly is helpful. The exhaustion just screams from your body! I'm hanging in there and will be just fine. I'm a retired Army Warrant Officer....I've had much worse than this thing can throw at me and am still standing! But let's don't let me get too macho....this thing is on me like a chicken on a junebug (also originally from Tennessee....can't you tell?!?!).

nonya is offline New Member

Default RE:

Actually narcotic pain medicine can be fatal especially fentanyl. The drug becomes so addicted that people take it more than they have to. Once this happens the resipratory system starts to slow down and they may have trouble breathing. If you want to get off Fentanyl have your doctor ween you off or if you might have to go to a rehab to detox. There they will closely monitor you and give you the medicine you need so your system won't fail. Its best not to start taking a Fentanyl

Thru ditoxing from the fentynal patches, did anyone experience a strong nicotine odor (coming from the pores of their body)??? I've experience and am still experiencing the chills, sweats & shakes... My dosage was 75mcg too!!! The info given on this sight & topic, is very informative... But I refuse to allow this monkey, to stay on my back "I've Gotta Find Something Better than This Mess" (I'm crying & at a pain level of a 12+ right this minute, but the side effects are messing with my hygiene "I ain't havin' it")... Thanks, PepTalkDisMed4MyPain

Anonymous Guest

I jumped off 200mcgs of patches a little over 2 years ago....how long have you been off the patch? The detox off of those is harsh to say the least...
    Can you hop on and give a bit more info?

Casper3035 is offline New Member

Default Casper3035

Hi all, I have been on Fentanyl 50 to 75 MCG/hr. Plus 10/325 percocet . For about 8 years. I had back surgery was suppose to be a simple one, it was one that never healed. I got it fixed 3 years later in AZ.
    I am on day 9 now of no pain meds. It does get better. I take requip/ropinerol generic. Am a muscle relaxer it really helps with the restlessness. I take an anti nausea drug, Also hot tubes or hot bath it does help sweat it out! I didn't consult my Dr. I did this all on my own with my wonderful husband by my side. The withdrawals are horrible ! Last night I slept 8. Hours not all in a row, was up for a couple hours in between. Tonic water with qui nine in it helps the muscles lemon juice helps flush the system. When I can't sleep I get up make the strongest coffee I can and then fall back to sleep for another hour or two. So for day nine about 10 hours sleep. I do take trazadone which is a antidepressant that makes you sleep.
    I never slept the first week and half but used the percocet for the first few days. If I had it to do over I would have never gone on the stuff. The patch was actually made for terminal cancer patients. I have not had to deal with the mental wanting I have no desires to use them again ever! I am looking to see if I can get the rest of my back fixed. I take advil for pain and tons of heat. Good luck to everyone I so feel your pain! This is truly horrific!

Don't give up. Try a muscle relaxer lots of hot baths or showers hot tub would be awesome! I am on day 9. I finally sleep about 10 hours not all in a row was up a couple hours in between. And distanced my self from a lot of people. People would piss me off in .2 seconds so kept them away. Please don't give ! It gets better. There are none addictive meds to help. I wake up just soaking wet at night. It seams the more I sweat the better I feel!

Denverpie: wow ya! I promise you can do it. Its the awefulest thing in the world! I too have been through worse! An abusive Army enlisted man for twelve years. Only spent 18 months in Leavenworth! I that I had been through hell already, but the is an awful monkey to be carrying on the back! It gets better! I am on day 9 from Fentenyl and percocet.

fantasy1day is offline New Member

Default Gabapentin miracle withdrawl drug

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    I have been taking the the fent patch for alittle over 2 months for chronic pain. I have a disorder that causes great pain in the joints and the doctors have no clue. All my blood results come back normal except for the sed-rate which is 80 when the normal person runs about a 25. I've been sick since i'm 6 and now 25. I took the patch off on thursday..I know a stupid move..Just wanted to know how long the withdrawl will last. I was taking the 100mcg strength..and almost on day 5. if anyone has any info I would be greatful. I feel like I'm loseing my mind...::sighs:::

Marcus

This message is simply to articulate my experience with regard to going cold turkey on a 75mcg Fetynal Patch. I took 2 300mg Gabapentin a day(one in the morning and one at night), with one methocarbamol 750mg (before bed, and one melatonin and a warm drink of vitality calm before bed, and all the restless leg syndrom, and sleepless nights were simply gone. I have very, and I mean very little withdrawl side effects coming off the 75mcg Fetynal patch for the first 2 days (minor sweats only), 3rd day on I was golden. I took the patch for 6 months, after taking morphine for 2.5 years at 200mg a day with percoset 4 times a day. I will never go back to that evil withdrawl patch. Its a patch of horror in my opinion. The consistency is just not there with the patch, so you're constantly struggling with withdrawls every other day. The patch works for 24-36 hours at best, however, the doctors will say that it works for 72. When you're on a higher dose (75-100), its very important that the patch is never sweated off, or removed, or you will be struggling for a day or 2, until your next dose. After a couple of months of that >>>>, your mind will go crazy like mine did. Your family, friends, and others will notice your mood swings, trust me, unless you go in hiding, and never get out and enjoy the world God gave us to enjoy. If it were not having my two young beautiful daughters, I am not sure if I would have bounced off this >>>> as quick as I have. Every other day when the patch wore off, or sweated off, I went into withdrawls, so I was almost bipolar in a sense, and thats not what I want my children growing up with. AS they say, live the way you want to be remembered!!!!!!! My doctor was clueless, and was more worried out the federal regulations than the patients well being. I have had my hip replaced probably more times than anyone in the world, and in medical history books unfortunately.

I owe my withdrawl success to a Kaiser Doctor in CA (Barker), but yet I criticized her methodology originally, then subsequently did my own research based on her methodology, and found out that she was right. (I have yet to apologize to her, but will soon) as I was always looking for that euphoric experience, and was not ready (mind over matter). This is where your mind needs to conquer the craving to be high. Its a trap, that your neurons are sucking you in. You gotta wanna do it.... If your out for a high, than your in another segregation, and the cocktail I have suggested isnt going to help you. You need to seek psychological help, and I mean that in the utmost respect. For the people like myself who has been dealing with chronic pain everyday of your life, there are other methods to control your pain, do not get caught up with the patch. It will take you down, and down hard!!!

The purpose of my post is to hopefully help someone, or many who want off the evil withdrawl patch.... Trust me when I tell you, the cocktail I took worked flawlessly. I weigh 170 pounds with a high metabolism, for the record, so doses may be different for others. I am not a doctor, or in the medical industry.

god bless you all that are fighting the fight! it is truly mind over matter, and as long as you keep your mind occupied every minute of the day, it will provide you the comfort you so deserve going through the withdrawls. Good Luck All!!

oh, I forgot to add, having an advocate can be a blessing as well.... If you have been hiding the matter, come clean with your love one or ones, and find that advocate. Its a priceless element to the equation! Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast