How to get off narcotics
    prisnusber is offline New Member

Default How to get off narcotics

This is my first post. I don't even know if I'm in the correct section. I'm looking for information/support/advice regarding drug addiction and withdrawing from narcotics. I suffer from chronic back pain since 1995. In the late 90's I was addicted enough the doctor put me in the hospital and stopped cold turkey, experiencing the horrible withdrawal symptoms we all know. I stopped taking medication for years. I started taking them again at the beginning of the year, moving from Vicodin 5/500 to Roxicodone (oxycodone) 30 mg. four times a day (120 mg/day). I decided to stop as my pain has improved and I'm seeing my pain doctor tomorrow to go over what we're going to do. Any tips, suggestions, advice, etc. will greatly be appreciated. The doctor said she has patients that have quit cold turkey and some that have tapered off. I'm not sure I can do the tapering off, think that if I have them, I'll take them. On the other hand, I do not want to experience the miserable withdrawal symptoms. Doc says she can prescribe other stuff to help me. Like what would that be? Please tell me ya'll experiences regarding this. Thanks! (By the way, I'm taking some time off from work to help me during this.)

heather is offline New Member

There are many non addictive types of pain medication that can be prescribed for you. I am a recoveing addict, but no doctor. I believe the pain medication you are on now is the synthetic form of, basically, herion. I hear that it has terrible withdrawl symtoms. I hope that your doctor does not prescribe you methadone, which is commonly used to get people of of opaiates, it too, is addictive. I also would recommend getting support from your local NA group, there are millions of people suffering just like you. Best of luck to you!

staarz unlimited is offline New Member

i too am a recovering addict. i had 5 years clean then i relapsed (i had back surgery and was prescribed vicodin.) afters two years of prescribing me 100 vicodin at a time the "good dr." decided to discontinue my medication. i was in "deep doo-doo". i had to go back to a recovery home and start all over again. i am glad to hear you are taking off work....but, in my opinion, 1 week is not enough. it took me almost 3 weeks to feel normal again. then i had to start working on the mental and spiritual aspect of my recovery. MIND, BODY AND SPIRIT....they all go together. how you became addicted doesn't matter. the fact is you are addicted. you are an addict. in most cases this means the roots go deep...deeper than you dr.

consider a 30-day recovery center. inquire with your insurance company about coverage for drug programs. ALL information is confidential and cannot be reported to your job. if you have no coverage...there are county beds available. kicking opiates is no joke...i needed help. i am too old for that cold turkey stuff...i would not have made it. i wish you luck and get serious about kicking...there is not much time left.

a friend

treasures4u1 is offline New Member

Default Tested and failed

On my last Dr visit, they did a pee test on me and although I am taking what I am suppose to I don't always take how much I am suppose to. In other words, I am prescribed 6-10mg percocet a day. Sometimes I take 4 sometimes I take 6. I am worried that they will stop my script cuz I am not taking enough. Will they do that?
    If they do, I am ok with the tapering off system. I have had people telling me horror stories and now I am freaking out about this.
    I am alone, always alone. My husband sleeps all day, gets up for about 2 hours then works all night. I am afraid that if the Dr stops my meds I will be really sick. I go back on the 17th and if he does stop them can I ask him for something to help? I heard to stay away from Suboxone and Methodone. Is this right? What should I ask him for?
    I am soooo worried. I am not really concerned about getting off the meds I am more concerned about what it is going to do to me and how long it will take. I have high blood pressure and have already had a heart attack. I do not have Insurance or anything to go to rehab. Besides, I heard that in rehab they give you stuff that is addictive. I do not want to change one for the other.
    Help?

Post Urine tests

Urine tests mostly don't look for the AMOUNT of drug you're taking, just that you ARE taking it.
    My doctor has shared this with me:
    1. If a urine test reads zero drugs, maybe the "patient" is really just selling the drugs on the street, and doesn't need them themselves. That's a crime. They frown on that.
    2. More than 50% of the urine tests they do (I live in a bIg city) in the Pain Clinic, show illegal drugs, such as weed, coke, or meth. They also frown on that. Shows bad faith about getting clean.

If you legitimately need your pain meds, don't worry about a urine test. Are you taking them for pain? Or for loneliness?

The thread you piggy-backed onto is more than 7 years old, so you might want to start a new thread. Best of luck, and don't worry about the testing.

Anonymous Guest

yeh as long as the correct drugs show up in your system, they wont have any idea you are taking less...

so a urine test will not give you any problem at this stage... good luck.