How does LYRICA work?
    jenidarlin is offline Junior Member

Default How does LYRICA work?

So how exactly does Lyrica work? It seems to be helping somewhat with my Fibromyalgia-type pain(haven't been officially dx'ed yet). One doctor prescribed it over a month ago and I took it for about a week or so, it seemed to work better with something else like Tylenol or Vicodin. But then I couldn't afford to get it filled right away so I was off it for a while and now I'm taking it again. My regular doctor and my new pain mgmt doctor said I could try it again, 50mg once a day, but I also have vicodin, which seems to help the acute, breakthrough pain better, but I think the Lyrica helps the long run, chronic type pain. I'm just wondering how it works and if it will last or does it wear off eventually? Thanks!

~Jenny~

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

This bit of info should help to answer your question...Good luck...Dave

Pregabalin (INN) (IPA: [prɪˈgæbələn]) is an anticonvulsant drug used for neuropathic pain, as an adjunct therapy for partial seizures, and in generalized anxiety disorder. It was designed as a more potent successor to gabapentin. Pregabalin is marketed by Pfizer under the trade name Lyrica.

Recent studies have shown that pregabalin is effective at treating chronic pain in disorders such as fibromyalgia[1] and spinal cord injury[2]

gerstner23 is offline Junior Member

Default lyrica

what this medication actually is , is just another >>>> chronic pain medication targeted to make billions then dissapear. as i am sure you are all aware drug companys cant market opiates on tv, so that is why they come out with these different drugs. celebrex is another. as you stated vicodin worked great for your acute pain, and you thought this drug worked pretty good for the long lasting chronic pain. well i gauruntee you if you took methadone fentanyl or oxycontin or a host of other opiates you would have much better relief, simple fact doctors are scared to have another opiate patient so they will give you this ******************** and they also do not get a kickback for the opiate drugs, and like i said earlier the drug companies cannot put ads on tv for opiates or you can bet they would. so i guess i really dont know how the drug works mvpt gave you the textbook definition of that, but what i do know is that in a few years this medication will not work for you and you will be taking one of the drugs i mentioned earlier, saying to yourself why was i not taking this since day one. so the basic point is i dont know how the drug works but i do know how the drug company works and it was created to make a couple billion then on to something different. brad

jenidarlin is offline Junior Member

I can definitely see your point on that. I have tried Celebrex and it never worked for me. Thanks for your input. Lyrica is too dang expensive, but for now I'll get it filled when I run out of the vicodin. At least it's helping somewhat and it helps with my anxiety too, especially when I'm not taking the vicodin. Thanks.