how do i get off xanax?
    soulmanet is offline New Member

Default how do i get off xanax?

i've been on xanax for 12 years. how do i stop!
    Last edited by soulmanet; 05-08-2009 at 10:53 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

I was on them for 25 years. Could we get a few more details please? Surely more than one sentence has happened over twelve years. That's just not much to go on. Or there is always www.benzo.org.uk and check out the Ashton Manual for benzo detox. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

i have bad panic attacks. anyway i ran out of xanax and have to wait 10 days. it has been 2 days now and i having a hard time.

tired2 is offline Advanced Member

Default more info

Quote Originally Posted by soulmanet View Post
    i have bad panic attacks. anyway i ran out of xanax and have to wait 10 days. it has been 2 days now and i having a hard time.
    I think you really need to give Robert more info such as dosages , how often you take them etc...those kind of things . Just panic attacks really isn't much to go on ....no one can give you any advice on what you have said.
    I also have been on benzo's for about 25 yrs. Xanax is very addictive .
    Last edited by tired2; 05-09-2009 at 12:20 AM.

Default xanax 2mg/1 per day

been on xanax for 12+ years. 2mg/1 per day or as needed. been doing alot of reading about withdrawns. going on three days. took 1mg today. that help, but i don't want to go backwards.

thanks for the website..good info.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

That website I referred you to is actually about the best place around to go to for info on benzo detox. Dr Helen Ashton is one of the foremost authorities world reknowned for the Ashton Method for benzo detox. Her entire manual can be downloaded at the site. That is the method I recommend repeatedly. I use Dr Ashton's principles when walking a person through benzo detox on this forum too. IF you have any questions regarding Dr Ashton's methods fire away. But I strongly recommend her methods explained in detail on that site. Bottom line is it needs to be done with a very slow taper as benzos are one more drug that can cause seizures, electric shock syndrome, all kinds of problems with stopping use abruptly. It can be very dangerous. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Grace50 is offline New Member

Unhappy Have been on for 13 years

Quote Originally Posted by soulmanet View Post
    i've been on xanax for 12 years. how do i stop!
    How much do you take a day? First you have to know that your body is addicted to the medication and you really want to come off the med. Start with slowly reducing the med. I pray that people understand that this drug is very hard to come off of. I have been on it for over 13 years and have started coming off the drug. I have had the headaches, mood swings. The best thing also is exercise. It helps alot. I will also try to come off of Ambien next. My body is also addicted to this medication.

well i,m on track and doing fine with my xanax problem....i,m cutting back .5mgs every two weeks and it is working.. i'ld like to thank everyone who answer my call for help...and hope everyone has a good support group like this website...it fells so good to know i'll be off these things soon ....soulmanet@yahoo.com - if you need help!!!!...Ed

ksgirl2008 is offline New Member

Default additional info

As was mentioned previously, Dr. Heather Ashton is the world's premier expert on benzodiazepine withdrawal. For 12 years (1982-1994) she ran a benzodiazepine withdrawal clinic at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. Her work in the field of benzodiazepine (“benzos”) withdrawal syndrome resulted in what has become known as the Ashton Manual. It can be downloaded for free at http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm or purchased from http://www.benzo.org.uk/bzmono.htm#order

Dr. Ashton recommends changing the faster-acting benzos such as Xanax for an equivalent dose of Valium and using the Valium to get a smoother, more controlled taper. Chapter II of her manual outlines the equivalent strength of Xanax (1 mg. Xanax = 20 mg. Valium) as well as other commonly used benzos. Withdrawal schedules are also suggested for various doses of Xanax and several other benzos.

Another alternative for tapering off Xanax is known as Water Titration. It was developed for those who are unable to get their doctors to prescribe Valium or simply did not want to use Dr. Ashton’s crossover method. This method involves mixing one’s daily Xanax dose with a fixed amount of water. By gradually eliminating the amount of water, one can slowly reduce the daily amount of Xanax. Further information about Water Titration including PowerPoint demonstrations can be found at http://www.benzosupport.org/water_titration.htm. An Excel spreadsheet has also been developed which can be downloaded and customized for individualized schedules/doses at http://www.benzosupport.org/Get%20schedule.htm

A support network is a key ingredient for successfully withdrawing from Xanax or any other benzo. One such group is the Yahoo Benzo group at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/benzo/ where one can receive support from the group’s moderators and members alike. The collective knowledge of the group is derived from years of aiding people who sought and obtained freedom from Xanax and other benzos. Membership is free and open to all who are seeking to become “benzo-free.”