Results 1 to 7 of 7
Help! Okay to mix Vicodin with Ativan for just 4 days?
  1. #1
    piperlaurie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    88

    Default Help! Okay to mix Vicodin with Ativan for just 4 days?

    I need some immediate feedback on this question please!

    I'm taking Vicodin (7.5/750 8 x p/day) temporarily for 11 days (on Day 7) to help me through methadone withdrawal (took 25 mg p/day for 10 months) before getting inducted to Suboxone for a 30-day FDA trial I'm enrolled in.

    One of the side effects of withdrawals from methadone are anxiety attacks for which I was taking 5 mg. of Valium as needed--I've only taken 3 thus far and have one left. Because I have 4 days left before I switch to Suboxone, I needed more Valium but my doctor never got back to me to prescribe it so I had to get something else like Valium from a friend.

    The 4 pills (5 mg. each) she gave me are Ativans--I've never heard of them but she told me they were for anxiety disorder. When I looked it up it said it wasn't recommended to take with Vicodin, but it doesn't say that about Valium so I'm wondering if it's safe to take 1 or 2 Ativans per day for just 4 days while I'm taking the Vicodin. It is a high dose of Vicodin I'm taking (it takes that much to cover the methadone withdrawal pains) so I'm a bit apprehensive about taking them.

    Anyone know about the drug interactions between these two meds?
    Also, I still have some methadone in my system I'm sure because of methadone's long half life so that should be considered in answering my question.

    Thanks for any help anyone can give on this.

  2. #2
    Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,309

    Default

    The drug interaction checker in the tab above has this to say about the combo:

    MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

    And it says the same thing about diazepam, you should expect the same results with lorazepam if you've taking diazepam before.
    1mg of Ativan is roughly equal to 10mgs of Valium. I think you mean 0.5mg Ativan, it doesn't come in a 5mg pill.

    You do know you have to be in withdrawal before you can start Suboxone?

    I think you best not take any benzos, having it your system may boot you out of the program before it even starts. I don't buy the anxiety bit, so what, put up with it. Everybody has anxiety from time to time, we don't all need drugs for it. People rely on drugs these days to combat every little thing that comes along, like they're helpless, and want to be in a drug induced stupor. Ever wonder what mankind did for centuries before hand? Nothing, they get over it and moved along.
    Excuse my ranting.
    Last edited by Cats Meow; 06-07-2008 at 04:51 AM.

  3. #3
    piperlaurie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    88

    Default Rush to judgment not a helpful response...

    Actually, anxiety is not something I have ever had a problem with so having the feeling like something is sitting on my chest and I can't breathe is not the "normal" kind of anxiety one might feel in the daily course of life.

    It is obvious that this anxiety is a result of the methadone withdrawal and therefore chemical (and inarguably spiritual) in nature. So for you to cast aspersions on me as though I were a pill-seeking user who feels the need to take a pill "for every little thing" is uninformed and a bit hasty.

    If I were that sort of person, why would I be enrolling in this study in the first place? The whole point of this FDA study is to help people dependent on pain medications to get off of them. I took methadone for chronic pain for multiple issues in my neck--I hardly call that taking a pill for a "little thing".
    I never increased my dose even though the doctor recommended it because of my pain level. The reason I wouldn't do so [increase the dose] was because it was always my goal to get off of the methadone--something that is very difficult to do and especially so if taking more than 30 mg p/day.

    Now I have an opportunity, courtesy of the federal government and UCLA to get off of the methadone the easiest way possible--free of charge--and I'm taking it--despite the pain that I may be left with. Some people call that courageous--I don't know what you would call it and frankly I don't care.

    In the future, when someone post a genuine question stick to the science and if you have personal opinions about a particular drug or methodology, try to couch it in kindness and understanding vs. judgment.




    Quote Originally Posted by Cats Meow View Post
    The drug interaction checker in the tab above has this to say about the combo:

    MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

    And it says the same thing about diazepam, you should expect the same results with lorazepam if you've taking diazepam before.
    1mg of Ativan is roughly equal to 10mgs of Valium. I think you mean 0.5mg Ativan, it doesn't come in a 5mg pill.

    You do know you have to be in withdrawal before you can start Suboxone?

    I think you best not take any benzos, having it your system may boot you out of the program before it even starts. I don't buy the anxiety bit, so what, put up with it. Everybody has anxiety from time to time, we don't all need drugs for it. People rely on drugs these days to combat every little thing that comes along, like they're helpless, and want to be in a drug induced stupor. Ever wonder what mankind did for centuries before hand? Nothing, they get over it and moved along.
    Excuse my ranting.

  4. #4
    Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,309

    Default

    My rant wasn't so much directed at you Piperlaurie, it's just something I sometimes add when people don't try and "suck it up" or at least try, unfortunately for you it was included in your post, it was meant to be general, and not so much directed to you and what you're going through. Sorry you felt it was, and I understand why.
    I know how difficult it is to get off of methadone, and I commend for doing it, I hope you are successful, I don't want to see you getting kicked out of it, because you're trying to relieve withdrawal symptoms by taking something not prescribed to you, but I see now the Valium was prescribed to you in the first place, I over looked that, my bad.
    I probably shouldn't have gone off like I did, I apologize. That's great, the program deal you've got, good luck to you.
    No hard feelings?

  5. #5
    piperlaurie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    88

    Default Thanks...

    No hard feelings, whatsoever. Thanks for your apology. As it is, this particular study doesn't care what you use to help you get off whatever opiate you were taking--all they care about is that you are in sufficient withdrawal the day you come in for the Suboxone induction.

    The FDA people did not prescribe the Valium--it was a left over prescription that was given to me 10 months ago when I was being taken off of Vicodin and inducted to Suboxone (which I only used for 2 months before making the decision to switch to methadone because of cost and side effect issues.) Anyway, I didn't need the Valium then but do now this go around--no doubt owing to the stronger, and more adhesive, properties of methadone.

    Thus far, I haven't needed to take anything other than the Vicodin today, so most likely the worst of the initial stages of the methadone withdrawal is over.

    piper

    Quote Originally Posted by Cats Meow View Post
    My rant wasn't so much directed at you Piperlaurie, it's just something I sometimes add when people don't try and "suck it up" or at least try, unfortunately for you it was included in your post, it was meant to be general, and not so much directed to you and what you're going through. Sorry you felt it was, and I understand why.
    I know how difficult it is to get off of methadone, and I commend for doing it, I hope you are successful, I don't want to see you getting kicked out of it, because you're trying to relieve withdrawal symptoms by taking something not prescribed to you, but I see now the Valium was prescribed to you in the first place, I over looked that, my bad.
    I probably shouldn't have gone off like I did, I apologize. That's great, the program deal you've got, good luck to you.
    No hard feelings?

  6. #6
    melee40 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15

    Thumbs up It's okay, Pipes....

    Hey Pipe.

    Yowsir. I can see why Cat got her name; girl's got some claws. But I saw the apology and that you guys kissed and made up. That's good.

    Listen, I'm proud of you and think you're doing great.

    As for Ativan.... if the 'panic' gets bad... I think you're safe to go ahead and take them if you were taking Valium before. (I just hate when our 'overseeing' docs know we are in trouble and then convenientley 'leave' for the weekend!) There's absolutely no need to suffer anything 'additional' during this time and the Ativan are in fact, just part of the benzo family.

    Years ago I took Vicodin and Ativan. I didn't have any methadone in my system - which I know - you know reacts with the benzos -but I was fine.
    Again, I'm sure you know what to be aware of and only take ONE every 4-6 hours.

    Just know the 'panic attacks' are only that.... and they will pass. Try to 'let it pass through you' without reacting to your reaction. Meditate....focus on the television, a game... your Bible. If you can truly re-focus for a little bit - that is the best way to get through them. Trust me, I know the 'panics' all too well.

    Good luck and keep going. Godspeed.

  7. #7
    piperlaurie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Hi Melee,

    Thanks so much for the info--very helpful. I think the feelings of panic are worse than the pain-but, like you say, you have to keep saying "This too shall pass away". Funny thing, I went to church this morning (it was glorious) and immediately this anxiety/fear hit big time (that just proves we are in a spiritual battle in case anyone didn't realize it). I left the service, went downstairs to get some Kleenix (because I knew I'd be crying in the awesome presence of the Lord), rebuked the fear and by the time I got back in my seat it left. Having said that, I was still dealing with alternating sweats, chills and yawning because of mild withdrawal (like I said, Vicodin doesn't cover all the methadone withdrawal.)

    Anyway church was the best place I could be. The love of Jesus absolutely permeated my soul.

    So, tomorrow I will take my last does of Vicodin at 5pm, then nothing until I get to the FDA study clinic at UCLA where they will induct me into Sub. I'm looking forward to the end of the next 30 days--to be opiate free for the first time in 3.5 years. God is with me through this as I know He is for you.

    I'm glad to hear you didn't go the methadone route. Can't remember what you said you were taking in its place. I will continue to pray for you and don't forget to check out the Lakeland Revival--as I said, you can watch it live online. Our pastor was talking about it at church saying how amazing miracles are continuing to take place--not just there, but all over the world thanks to the Internet.

    Despite that, some people (mainly of them religious-minded folks) are criticizing it because it doesn't look the way they think it should look. In particular, the evangelist who is conducting the meetings--a tatooed ex-biker dude--doesn't look the way like "they" think a "man of God" should look.

    But God clearly loves to "confound the wise"-in other words, what is wisdom to man, is foolishness to God and what is foolish to man is wisdom to God. Man judges the outside, God judges the heart and he also honors faith--the kind of faith that doesn't care what people think but only what God thinks and is therefore willing to act boldly to help set people free. That much I have learned in my years walking with the Lord.

    Also, lest we forget, the religious leaders of Jesus day didn't like the way he "did church" either--actually condemning him for healing a blind man on the Sabbath and worrying about the political implications when he raised Lazarus from the dead! Human nature doesn't change much, does it?

    Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you, as you have encouraged me (thank you and bless you for that) to lift your eyes up to Jesus. For some reason, He has put you on my heart to pray for you so if nothing else, it was worth going on this board for that.

    God Bless, and you know you can ask Robert to pray for you as well. His Bible study has been praying for me!


    Quote Originally Posted by melee40 View Post
    Hey Pipe.

    Yowsir. I can see why Cat got her name; girl's got some claws. But I saw the apology and that you guys kissed and made up. That's good.

    Listen, I'm proud of you and think you're doing great.

    As for Ativan.... if the 'panic' gets bad... I think you're safe to go ahead and take them if you were taking Valium before. (I just hate when our 'overseeing' docs know we are in trouble and then convenientley 'leave' for the weekend!) There's absolutely no need to suffer anything 'additional' during this time and the Ativan are in fact, just part of the benzo family.

    Years ago I took Vicodin and Ativan. I didn't have any methadone in my system - which I know - you know reacts with the benzos -but I was fine.
    Again, I'm sure you know what to be aware of and only take ONE every 4-6 hours.

    Just know the 'panic attacks' are only that.... and they will pass. Try to 'let it pass through you' without reacting to your reaction. Meditate....focus on the television, a game... your Bible. If you can truly re-focus for a little bit - that is the best way to get through them. Trust me, I know the 'panics' all too well.

    Good luck and keep going. Godspeed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22