half life question
    j33t3rz is offline New Member

Default half life question

Not sure if this is the right place for this but,

I'm trying to figure out half lives work.

Example:if you take 8mg of suboxone one day and the half life is 37hours,so after 37hours you would have 4mg of suboxone still in your system, would you have to wait another 37hours to get down to 2mg, and another 37hours to get down to 1mg and so on and so on.

Really curious to see if this is the way it works

Thanks in advance

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by j33t3rz View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place for this but,

I'm trying to figure out half lives work.

Example:if you take 8mg of suboxone one day and the half life is 37hours,so after 37hours you would have 4mg of suboxone still in your system, would you have to wait another 37hours to get down to 2mg, and another 37hours to get down to 1mg and so on and so on.

Really curious to see if this is the way it works

Thanks in advance
    Yes you are correct.MM

I agree with MM, that is correct. Just how long it takes the drug to reduce by 50% (does depend if first or zero order kinetics because that affects the rate of removal whether it is a constant 50% or not, but usually it is understood to be first order kinetics (zero order usually for saturated enzymes, or transporters) and so alas, yes, first order follows what you said.
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B