Grapefruit Juice and pills
    JahRed24 is offline Junior Member

Default Grapefruit Juice and pills

Is it safe to drink grapefruit juice with oxycodone (or any opiates for that matter)? I read somewhere that if you drink grapefruit juice while taking OC that it will stop it from being metabolized in your liver, hence making it last longer in ur system and lower your tolerance to how much you have to take. Basically what i am saying is that Grapefruit juice will enhance the effects of Oxycodone? Is this statment true to any degree. please give me some info or personal beliefs im open to all opinions

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

I use this site, http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interac...,4109,,00.html, to check for interactions, because it will check drug/drug reactions, drugs/herbal supplement, drug/vitamin, and drug/food&beverage reactions.

Nothing comes up for Oxy with grapefruit juice. I am taking Oxy and while I have spent a lot of time researching it, I have never found mention of a reaction.

You will get that kind of reaction with some other drugs, such as some antidepressants, but it does not usually occur with most pain meds.

For instance, if I do a search to check my Oxycodone and Zoloft on there, I get this for the Zoloft and Grapefruit juice:

"SERTRALINE HYDROCHLORIDE (in Zoloft) may interact with GRAPEFRUIT JUICE

Sertraline is broken down in the body by the liver. Grapefruit may interfere with the liver’s ability to break down the sertraline, causing sertraline to remain in the body for a longer period of time. This could cause an increase in both the intended effect and the side effects of sertraline including nausea, dizziness, headaches, and sleep disturbances. Patients taking sertraline should avoid any type of grapefruit including its juice, the fruit itself, and any supplements that may contain grapefruit. You may drink other types of juices with sertraline. You may want to ask your healthcare provider about this potential interaction if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is poorly documented and is considered moderate in severity.

Last Updated: June 2005"

So it isn't even a severe reaction and isn't really proven, it is just a possibility.

So you don't need to worry about it with the Oxy.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~